Author Topic: Balcony Genioplasty  (Read 1713 times)

micjawsurgery

Balcony Genioplasty
« on: May 17, 2019, 02:04:18 PM »
So I talked to my oral surgeon today about a genioplasty, but mentioned my thoughts on my slightly everted lip and that I didn’t want an increased mentolabial fold.

So he proposes to make the genioplasty cut higher towards the lip as shown here https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s40902-019-0190-8

Says he’s done it before, showed me a patient who had a very deep fold and prior chin implant, she looked a lot better after she got the implant removed and he did this procedure.

What’s the thoughts on this technique vs a chin shield/visor osteotomy?

micjawsurgery

Re: Balcony Genioplasty
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 02:06:01 PM »
Here is my morph

https://imgur.com/a/7g46BCt

Said he would expect 5-7mm of horizontal movement, he measures it during the surgery.

ODog

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 02:29:24 PM »
Someone wanna tell me why Sinn offered McJaw a Lefort 3 when he has a positive vector? He’ll do it on me for sure then.

micjawsurgery

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 04:32:40 PM »
The lf3 Sinn offers is a cosmetic procedure. He told me I would be a good candidate, I sent him a ceph and a clinical photo very similar to the one I posted here. Told me he’s performed them on Asian people before and get good result since we have relatively flat midfaces

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 04:50:02 PM »
So I talked to my oral surgeon today about a genioplasty, but mentioned my thoughts on my slightly everted lip and that I didn’t want an increased mentolabial fold.

So he proposes to make the genioplasty cut higher towards the lip as shown here https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s40902-019-0190-8

Says he’s done it before, showed me a patient who had a very deep fold and prior chin implant, she looked a lot better after she got the implant removed and he did this procedure.

What’s the thoughts on this technique vs a chin shield/visor osteotomy?

Looks like a fancy cut that doesn't need a hip graft as does the shield visor osteo.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

valhalar

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 06:32:29 PM »
Looks like a fancy cut that doesn't need a hip graft as does the shield visor osteo.

Do the 3 European chin wing surgeons always use hip graft as shield visor?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 06:56:04 PM »
Do the 3 European chin wing surgeons always use hip graft as shield visor?

Z does for sure. I think they all do. But you could double check.

micjawsurgery

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 12:11:04 AM »
Isn't this just a "better" genioplasty then?

I guess the only problems are that it is more technically demanding, and that if you don't need the lip support, the lip might become too inverted afterwards?

One of my concerns was that my chin would become pointier after the genioplasty, but the article describes how the angle of the trianglular cut can be increased to make the chin wider afterwards (for men), or decreased for a pointier chin for women.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:25:13 AM by micjawsurgery »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 02:25:11 PM »
The authors fail to observe that the salient measure of the MLF is the ANGLE, NOT the horizonatal distance to the MLF that it has from a vertical dropped from the lower lip which they call 'depth'. That horizontal distance that they show and define as 'depth' of the MLF would remain constant, with BOTH the sliding genio and the 'balcony' genio. Neither the balcony genio nor the sliding genio decrease or increase the 'depth' of the MLF. What they define as 'depth' (horizontal distance from a vertical dropped from lower lip) would remain the same in both.

The disadvantage of a sliding genio in short chin patients is the unfavorable change in ANGLE of the MLF described as an overly ACUTE angle or a 'too NARROW' angle (and also making a short chin shorter). So, it's the angle that changes (and decrease vertical height) and not the 'depth' of the MLF measured by it's horizontal distance from a vertical dropped from lower lip that changes.

Morph DISREGARDED. Grounds: Poor presentation. photo set should be side by side, before to the left and after to the right and SAME SIZE.

valhalar

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 05:34:47 PM »
@Kavan

Does a genioplasty bring forward the lower lip or if you have an existing mentolabial fold will it make it worse? My lower lip sits below my upper lip but I have a normal bite. I am not sure if genioplasty / chin wing could improve the appearance of my lower jaw and I may have to opt for a BSSO.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 05:48:13 PM »
@Kavan

Does a genioplasty bring forward the lower lip or if you have an existing mentolabial fold will it make it worse? My lower lip sits below my upper lip but I have a normal bite. I am not sure if genioplasty / chin wing could improve the appearance of my lower jaw and I may have to opt for a BSSO.

A genio should not bring forward the lower lip. Read what I already wrote on here as to types of genio that can make fold worse.

micjawsurgery

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 10:42:52 PM »
Had 2mm down, 5mm forward done. Movements were conservative since I didn’t want too strong a chin

Cost was 3.3usd in korea

My surgeon speaks good English and you can contact him directly at any time. Excellent aftercare

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 10:51:12 PM »
Had 2mm down, 5mm forward done. Movements were conservative since I didn’t want too strong a chin

Cost was 3.3usd in korea

My surgeon speaks good English and you can contact him directly at any time. Excellent aftercare

I thought you were going to Sinn. Did you get the 'balcony' in Korea?  ID clinic?

micjawsurgery

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 11:20:31 PM »
I decided against it since it wasn’t reversible like implants and would change how I look a lot. Will just do implants later if it bothers me enough.

It was with Dr Lee at thefacedental. Yeah he did the high cut. He used to be the chief jaw surgeon at ID i believe.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 12:45:10 AM by micjawsurgery »

micjawsurgery

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 05:49:25 AM »
I’m regretting I didn’t lengthen it slightly more at 3-4mm, but I’m extremely happy even with the swelling

My stomion ratio was 1.96 before and it should be 2.04 or so after the swelling dies down. (I used a pixel ruler to calculate how much I would move assuming a 1:1 ratio which isn’t always the case).

I look more masculine now and got more facial harmony.

I think it’ll end up being pretty subtle which is what I wanted, but now that I see the result with swelling I’m regretting I didn’t do something more aggressive

Not much swelling underneath my chin fortunately so I think I’ll keep the lower third height gains which is what I’m most happy about