Author Topic: Can MSE improve the maxilla?  (Read 1416 times)

StudyHacks

Can MSE improve the maxilla?
« on: September 20, 2020, 11:35:29 AM »
I am getting MSE installed in my mouth in December this year.

I am also going to get double jaw surgery but my issue isn't only the lower maxilla but the entire midface (so all segments of the maxilla).
I have heard that MSE can improve the maxilla and can be useful prior to undergoing bimax.

The doctor also told me it could improve the cheekbones and the mouth/palate width.

Is this true?

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Can MSE improve the maxilla?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 01:20:47 PM »
What is true is that ALL displacements are best planned together, in preparation for a  surgery, ideally by the team (surgeon and orthodontist). Although maxillary expansion devices are often used before a surgery, success on any bimax surgery to follow is contingent on the maxillary expansion done prior to have been PART of the PLAN.

It sounds like you have taken upon YOURSELF to PLAN an MSE installation in the total absence of even knowing if what the doctor told you was true. It also sounds like your choice is INDEPENDENT  of a plan by which ever surgical/ortho team will be doing your bimax surgery.

Let us know how that works out for you.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

StudyHacks

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 01:26:10 PM »
What is true is that ALL displacements are best planned together, in preparation for a  surgery, ideally by the team (surgeon and orthodontist). Although maxillary expansion devices are often used before a surgery, success on any bimax surgery to follow is contingent on the maxillary expansion done prior to have been PART of the PLAN.

It sounds like you have taken upon YOURSELF to PLAN an MSE installation in the total absence of even knowing if what the doctor told you was true. It also sounds like your choice is INDEPENDENT  of a plan by which ever surgical/ortho team will be doing your bimax surgery.

Let us know how that works out for you.
I'm sorry for wording it incorrectly. Let me rephrase:

I have already talked to this orthodontist, told him I wanted to improve my midface and lower third.

Asked him if the MSE could improve my maxilla prior to bimax, he said yes and I also asked him about the cheekbones: he said that MSE could give 2-3mm's of movement in each cheekbone's case.

Also told him I needed a wider smile (palate) and mouth, which he said was also possible.

So essentially, he does know my plan, and he also knows that I'm going to get bimax either way. It's just that bimax only contains a Lefort1 osteotomy which only improves the lower maxilla (LF1 area), and my (maxillary-) issue is the entirety of my maxilla.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 01:56:59 PM »
I'm sorry for wording it incorrectly. Let me rephrase:

I have already talked to this orthodontist, told him I wanted to improve my midface and lower third.

Asked him if the MSE could improve my maxilla prior to bimax, he said yes and I also asked him about the cheekbones: he said that MSE could give 2-3mm's of movement in each cheekbone's case.

Also told him I needed a wider smile (palate) and mouth, which he said was also possible.

So essentially, he does know my plan, and he also knows that I'm going to get bimax either way. It's just that bimax only contains a Lefort1 osteotomy which only improves the lower maxilla (LF1 area), and my (maxillary-) issue is the entirety of my maxilla.

You should get approval from your bimax surgical team before hand. Telling the expander  doctor that you plan to have a bimax surgery is NOT the same as his knowing what the plan actually entails in terms of displacements.  The other option is to CHANGE your bimax surgical team of surgeon and ortho so that the expander doctor is PART of a new planning process.

StudyHacks

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 02:07:19 PM »
You should get approval from your bimax surgical team before hand. Telling the expander  doctor that you plan to have a bimax surgery is NOT the same as his knowing what the plan actually entails in terms of displacements.  The other option is to CHANGE your bimax surgical team of surgeon and ortho so that the expander doctor is PART of a new planning process.
Ok, will do! But can you please, nonetheless, answer my original question: Can MSE improve the maxilla?

I know it does widen the mouth and the palate, but please answer my question regarding the maxillary improvement(s) that come(s) from the MSE.

Sergio-OMS

• Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
  • I am just trying to help
    • Clinica Gonzalez y Campos
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 02:23:51 PM »
Ok, will do! But can you please, nonetheless, answer my original question: Can MSE improve the maxilla?

I know it does widen the mouth and the palate, but please answer my question regarding the maxillary improvement(s) that come(s) from the MSE.

You already know it does a bit, as your ortho said.

StudyHacks

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 02:24:53 PM »
You already know it does a bit, as your ortho said.
Indeed, but I'm looking for second opinions for reassuarance.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 04:58:21 PM »

That's the goal of the device.  Asking for a 'second opinion' here = kibaszott hülye kérdés
because second opinion means from another doctor you consult with and has your records.

StudyHacks

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 05:02:27 PM »
That's the goal of the device.  Asking for a 'second opinion' here = kibaszott hülye kérdés
because second opinion means from another doctor you consult with and has your records.
Noted, thank you.

summer

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 02:45:36 PM »
Is there any convincing before and after photos of a wider mouth?