Author Topic: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?  (Read 82171 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?
« on: December 22, 2013, 06:05:01 AM »
I've searched the forum and outside of a .pdf posted by someone describing the Chin Wing in German there really isn't that much info out there.

If someone wants I can have a go at translating the more pertinent parts of it. For those who speak German it can be found here: http://www.pyramide.ch/Docs/file/a_triaca@pyramide_ch.pdf

---

If we could discuss this procedure a bit more would be beneficial for everyone here.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

overbiter

Re: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »
But the operation isn't available anywhere except Germany, is it?

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
I am guessing it's because the cut for the chin wing goes all the way to the back of the mandibular body.  So in a way the ramus is being lengthened.  Why this is stable but a BSSO in the ramus is not, I couldn't really say

BSSO + chin wing gives a good result but seems like a scary amount of cutting of the mandible.   Or am I just being a p*ssy??!   Seems a good option for those with steep angles or short ramuses (ramii??) (usually class 2s but in that pic it's a class 3)

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 04:26:28 PM »
weakjawbrah, any idea how this guy got that drop down ramus look? It doesn't look like his lower jaw was touched aside from the chin wing osteotomy

perhaps the rotation of the lower jaw upward following the Lefort created a more natural ramus angle? at any rate, huge improvement

The caption below says "Class 3: LeFort 1 Osteotomy with concurrent Chin Wing Osteotomy".

I skim read over the .pdf I linked in my first post, and the impression I got is that these kind of results are possible due to the way the osteotomy is performed. This also makes it very good at fixing asymmetries. So if I understand correctly, they're taking the lower part of the mandible and moving it into a more aesthetic location.

Since the cut can go right to the back it SHOULD mean the following:
- Chin Wing can easily correct asymmetries as the entire bottom part of the jaw can be levelled out
- Mandibular Plane should be improved as it won't affect the actual occlusion, only the skeletal structure affecting soft tissue along the jawline
- Cut goes right back to posterior part of jaw, so CCW rotation of a Chin Wing could provided the appearance of lengthened rami

Additionally, the osteotomised part of the Chin Wing can be divided up into various segments. This gives me hope that it should at least be possible to improve jaw angles and rami length from the posterior part of the jaw only, and thus giving a more angular, V-shaped jawline, as opposed to a broad and rounded one.

I'll go through tonight and double-check what I'm saying is at least a bit accurate, and I've noted to discuss this with MM in more detail next we talk. If the thread garners enough interest I'm willing to translate the entire document as it wasn't -that- long in fact.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »

This image here should give a good idea of the applications of a chin wing osteotomy. It can be used for asymmetry, and I believe jaw angles too. I think impaction would be an option too.

MM mentioned impacting my lower jaw in addition to 'improve jaw angles'. Now I look at it I believe he was referring to the chin wing. The posterior parts could be flared and rotated, whilst any impaction needed for improved facial thirds could be done  simultaneously.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 09:38:14 PM »
Wow.  That looks... hardcore.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 04:47:39 AM »
Wow.  That looks... hardcore.

Of course it's hardcore. I'm hardcore. If I wasn't hardcore I'd be getting some basic orthodontic work and a chin implant. Alas, I'm not. I'm so hardcore I'm going to let a relative stranger hack the bone of my face apart with a bloody saw just to chew salads a little better, and possibly increase my already dismal chances with the opposite sex.

I am hardcore.

I am Weakjawbrah.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 04:54:28 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

sean89

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 08:53:28 AM »
Seems pretty risky and I suppose the long term effects on the mandible aren't known. Might be better just getting HA or implants. But then  again,  I suppose if you're thinking of getting a genioplasty, you're likely to think 'might as well go the whole hog'.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 01:57:36 PM »
Seems pretty risky and I suppose the long term effects on the mandible aren't known. Might be better just getting HA or implants. But then  again,  I suppose if you're thinking of getting a genioplasty, you're likely to think 'might as well go the whole hog'.

HA paste will never give you this much.

sean89

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 04:14:53 PM »
HA paste will never give you this much.

I guess I want the definition of an implant, but without the implant. At the moment, I'm thinking chin wing + HA. Yesterday, it was genio + implant. There does seem to be a lot of bone cutting in the chin wing though.

sean89

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 07:02:43 PM »
Also, it would be great if anyone knew of any surgeons (apart from Triaca) that do it.

sean89

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 07:05:18 PM »
Apparently, it helps with lip incompetence as well.

MrRochester

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 07:48:17 PM »
I'll be getting this before the summer if everything proceeds according to schedule. I'll be sure to post pictures here provided I don't die on the operating table!

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »
I don't think this is a risky procedure. A nerve runs along the mandible but it can be traced on plain film X-rays prior to surgery to see if there is any risk of hitting it. I am considering the procedure next year. The pictures I have seen are nothing short of impressive.