Author Topic: Cancer Free - need braces advice  (Read 2101 times)

DolphinBite

Cancer Free - need braces advice
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:41:19 AM »
So great news! The lumpectomy came back as benign! Woo Hooooooo! (Picture me doing a little dance in my chair!)

So, got my braces on Friday - I can stand the pressure with no problem. What is killing me is the scraping on the inside of my cheeks and the sores that develop. I use wax, but it comes apart really easily so it's not very effective. Would LOVE some tips.

xo -
B

streo

Re: Cancer Free - need braces advice
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 05:52:34 PM »
congratulations about the biopsy results....and the braces too!!

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 03:19:09 PM »
Huge congrats, Dolphin! This is good news. The braces will be a cakewalk in comparison. Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:16:02 PM by neferkitti »

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 03:37:20 PM »
So, got my braces on Friday - I can stand the pressure with no problem. What is killing me is the scraping on the inside of my cheeks and the sores that develop. I use wax, but it comes apart really easily so it's not very effective. Would LOVE some tips.

Often, that bracket/band irritation will either go away or move to different parts of your mouth as teeth move and/or change angles. Your tissues should also become accustomed to the scraping. It'll toughen up some, lessening the discomfort. Wax seems to be the only reasonable solution for now. In the past I did come across bracket bumpers, but I don't how effective they were/are. At one point, I did use warm water surfboard wax, and it seemed to work better than orthodontic wax, but don't know if this is readily available in your region or if it's  even worth tracking down.

DolphinBite

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 05:51:10 PM »
Great tips on the wax - maybe I'll put it in the fridge.