Author Topic: Long Maxilla but no Gummy Smile  (Read 119160 times)

Heavyweight

Long Maxilla but no Gummy Smile
« on: June 22, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »
According to Dr. Posnick, I have a long upper jaw (no news to me) and will receive maxillary impaction if I do surgery with him. The thing is, I don't really have much of a gummy smile -- it's only a little bit more than average. Instead, my nose is really long, which makes my face look really ugly and "horsey."

Does anyone know if it's possible to shorten the nose with maxillary impaction (i.e., remove the part of the maxilla that supports the nose)?

See my illustration for clarity:

Standard maxillary impaction:

Maxillary impaction with nose shortening:

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Heavyweight

Re: Long Maxilla but no Gummy Smile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 06:27:45 PM »
This video of maxillary impaction shows exactly what I'm describing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzxGclrto7k

Eroica

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:55:20 AM »
I don't think you can shorten the midface (nasal base to nasal root) in any substantial way even when you excise the upper portion of the maxilla. If your nasal height is great it means your midface height in general, including structures such as the zygomatic bones etc, are of great height. However the combination of advancement and shortening of the upper jaw and counterclockwise rotation does seem to produce something of an optical shortening effect on the midface.

Now I have the opposite problem. My maxilla/midface are short and my incisor show isn't quite enough but I have a slightly gummy smile. This s**t just doesn't make sense. :-\

Heavyweight

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:21:57 PM »
This picture makes it look like the nose is becoming shorter, since the nasal floor is being raised.

*Warning: Graphic*

http://i.imgur.com/PrVMp.jpg

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 12:33:52 AM »
This picture makes it look like the nose is becoming shorter, since the nasal floor is being raised.

*Warning: Graphic*

http://i.imgur.com/PrVMp.jpg

You always find the most interesting videos/photos.   :D

Hmmm, don't see what you're seeing in terms of nose shortening. Would you help me out here?

Heavyweight

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 09:43:40 AM »
You always find the most interesting videos/photos.   :D

Hmmm, don't see what you're seeing in terms of nose shortening. Would you help me out here?

It looks like the area being impacted is above the base of the nose. I had always thought the upper jaw was impacted by removing bone below the base of the nose, meaning the nasal height does not change. Instead, it appears that the nasal height does change. I've also read that the suptum must be reduced by roughly the same amount as the impaction, which is further evidence that the nose is being shortened.

Heavyweight

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 03:09:31 PM »
Here's another picture showing what I'm talking about:

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 05:59:19 PM »
It looks like the area being impacted is above the base of the nose. I had always thought the upper jaw was impacted by removing bone below the base of the nose, meaning the nasal height does not change. Instead, it appears that the nasal height does change. I've also read that the suptum must be reduced by roughly the same amount as the impaction, which is further evidence that the nose is being shortened.

Okay, now I see what you're saying. The video you posted up-thread pretty much shows the same:

I can see how the underlying bone structure is shortened but not sure if soft tissue and cartilage of the nose would necessarily follow. Are you referring to changes in tip angle? There might be an optical illusion of shortening that Eroica mentioned.

Heavyweight

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 08:23:10 PM »
Okay, now I see what you're saying. The video you posted up-thread pretty much shows the same:

I can see how the underlying bone structure is shortened but not sure if soft tissue and cartilage of the nose would necessarily follow. Are you referring to changes in tip angle? There might be an optical illusion of shortening that Eroica mentioned.

Yeah, it's likely that the bony movement doesn't affect the soft tissue all that much. I wonder how much a rhinoplasty can shorten the nose. I sure hope it can, because I fear that my long nose will doom me to ugliness, irrespective of whatever other surgeries I get.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 08:54:48 PM »
Yeah, it's likely that the bony movement doesn't affect the soft tissue all that much. I wonder how much a rhinoplasty can shorten the nose. I sure hope it can, because I fear that my long nose will doom me to ugliness, irrespective of whatever other surgeries I get.

I prefer large male noses. You wouldn't want one that is petite/feminine, right?

Heavyweight

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 08:58:55 PM »

I prefer large male noses. You wouldn't want one that is petite/feminine, right?

I agree. Strong noses with high dorsal lines are ideal on men. However, my nose sits very low on my face and is really long. This is a common problem in ugly men, and there doesn't seem to be a real solution for it.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
I agree. Strong noses with high dorsal lines are ideal on men. However, my nose sits very low on my face and is really long. This is a common problem in ugly men, and there doesn't seem to be a real solution for it.

Post some photos of celebrities with the same nose.

Does it look anything like this? Love his nose!

Heavyweight

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »
It's more like this:

An ideal male nose sits much higher on the face, like this:

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 09:44:47 PM »
An ideal male nose sits much higher on the face, like this:

In the second photo, this man has a pretty pronounced brow bone. Aside from that, his nose appears to start at the same point, maybe just a hair higher. In the first, what specifically do you not like about this nose? Is it the dorsal bump or do you like this? This nose does not look long at all to me. Is there a front view?

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 09:57:24 PM »
Here's an example of a disastrously long nose. To look anywhere near human, this guy would need to vertically shorten his nose by at least a centimeter. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem possible.

Oh, no way! This nose suits him well. It's a pretty good nose. Do you really think that this is too long on a man?

Imagine how strangely off his face would appear with shortening. I like it just the way it is. It's masculine and has a good shape.