Author Topic: Long Maxilla but no Gummy Smile  (Read 119178 times)

neferkitti

• Private
Re: Long Maxilla but no Gummy Smile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 10:20:16 PM »
Going back to this image, what specifically bothers you?

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »
Hyperbole. I edited it shortly after I posted it.

He's attractive to me. I don't think he'll be walking a fashion runway, but he looks good.

Heavyweight

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 10:27:44 PM »
He's attractive to me. I don't think he'll be walking a fashion runway, but he looks good.

People seem to say that about every picture that gets posted online. But, for instance, if you were in a university study and were asked to rank 100 men in order of attractiveness, you'd probably bottom him way toward the bottom.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 10:30:12 PM »
People seem to say that about every picture that gets posted online. But, for instance, if you were in a university study and were asked to rank 100 men in order of attractiveness, you'd probably bottom him way toward the bottom.

Nope. I genuinely find him attractive. The more I look at that nose, it's damn good  :).

Heavyweight

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 10:31:35 PM »
Going back to this image, what specifically bothers you?

His nose/midface is too long. The middle third of his face (brows to bottom of nose) is far larger than the other thirds. Now if you can't shorten the midface, you would have to lengthen the other thirds to achieve proportion. But lengthening the forehead is impossible (to my knowledge), and lengthening the lower third would lead to an unattractive long face. So if your midface is long, there is very little that can be done to make you attractive. Moreover, men are attractive when they have disproportionately small midfaces, which further compounds the problem.

Here's a more neutral head position. See how his midface overwhelms the rest of his face?

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 10:43:19 PM »
His nose/midface is too long. The middle third of his face (brows to bottom of nose) is far larger than the other thirds. Now if you can't shorten the midface, you would have to lengthen the other thirds to achieve proportion. But lengthening the forehead is impossible (to my knowledge), and lengthening the lower third would lead to an unattractive long face. So if your midface is long, there is very little that can be done to make you attractive. Moreover, men are attractive when they have disproportionately small midfaces, which further compounds the problem.
See how his midface overwhelms the rest of his face?

From this view, I don't see a long midface. In terms of "thirds", I thought that the midface was from the lower lid down to upper lip, no? I can see where lower advancement would look good, but I get your concern over a lengthening effect this can have. But, if the lower were brought forward horizontally, wouldn't that lessen this? This guy has a jaw shape similar to Josh Charles up-thread.

Edit to add: I disagree that only small midface on men makes them attractive. The guy up-thread has a long midface but still looks good. The same applies to some of the models that you posted on another thread, if can recall correctly. Too lazy to check, and my husband is nagging me to log off.  :D

Heavyweight

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »
Ok, this guy has a perfect midface. His nose is really high up on his face and short, but it still has good horizontal projection:

Again, compare to this guy's long, low nose:

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 08:40:42 PM »
Id rather look like the guy you posted with the long nose(the one with the goatee) than the guy with the perfect midface. The perfect midface guy looks too feminine for me.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 10:31:18 PM »
Ok, this guy has a perfect midface. His nose is really high up on his face and short, but it still has good horizontal projection:

Clearly, we have different preferences. This guy is "cute" but appears very young, somewhere around 16-17.  Yes, he is attractive, but there is little here in the way of masculinity? He'd appeal to tweens, IMO. Am I the only one seeing this? I would actually like to see a longer nose on him.

If I recall correctly, you're fairly tall so a nose that petite and upturned would look out of place, I would think. What do you think?

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 10:34:25 PM »
Id rather look like the guy you posted with the long nose(the one with the goatee) than the guy with the perfect midface. The perfect midface guy looks too feminine for me.

Agreed. He's quite feminine. So far, I like "long nose guy" best. Good nose!

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 12:27:44 AM »
The second, guy's nose isnt that much of a problem. It is more his recessed jaws which make it look bigger than it is. Also his hair cut makes it worse. He should brush his hair up and to the side.

stevek216

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 05:00:12 AM »
^^Agreed, it looks like both his jaws are pretty recessed and his nose is in its normal place, the hugeness of it is just because of the inadequacy of his jaws.  I'm gonna have to agree with HW though, the normal nosed guy is better looking, even though he looks youngish.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 09:56:45 AM »
It is more his recessed jaws which make it look bigger than it is. Also his hair cut makes it worse. He should brush his hair up and to the side.

Agreed on both points. Now, I wonder how surgeons would approach the jaws...CCW, CW, straight forward, etc? HW believes lower advancement would "lengthen" this guy's face, yet he has a short upper lip.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 12:33:05 AM »
Thoughts, HW? How should a surgeon approach bimax on the guy in the second photo?

Heavyweight

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
Thoughts, HW? How should a surgeon approach bimax on the guy in the second photo?

I'm not sure. He looks like a challenging case.

If the lower jaw is advanced, then his face will become longer, and it's already too long. His upper jaw is very long, but the excess length is all in his nose. He probably has no gummy smile. This is the exact same problem I have.

My guess is that he needs counter clockwise rotation. His upper jaw needs to be shortened a lot and then advanced some to compensate for the impaction. His lower jaw and chin need to be advanced substantially.

After all of this, I still think he'd look unattractive because the rest of his face is messed up. He'd need a rhinoplasty to shorten and deproject his nose and raise his dorsal line. He also needs brow augmentation as well as an otoplasty.