Author Topic: Damon Braces  (Read 9167 times)

Heavyweight

Damon Braces
« on: June 28, 2012, 04:11:21 PM »
Is anyone here using Damon Braces instead of conventional braces? I've heard they are superior in almost every way, and they can move teeth far more rapidly.

Here's a video showing how they work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmqWgc0LB8U

treevernal

• Private
Re: Damon Braces
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »
Very interesting!  I'm a little bit skeptical that you can achieve that much expansion with braces alone, though.  But who knows?  Maybe in combination with myofunctional therapy such results are possible.  Sadly as an adult, surgery is the only stable option for expansion since you're then no longer growing.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 07:27:43 PM »
Is anyone here using Damon Braces instead of conventional braces? I've heard they are superior in almost every way, and they can move teeth far more rapidly.

Here's a video showing how they work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmqWgc0LB8U

I don't know if I would buy into one brand over another. Damon has been marketing like crazy, so take what you read with the grain of salt.

FYI, my lower arch brackets were not Damons, but they were a locking, self-ligating type. IMO, locked brackets are risky for jaw surgery patients. I had a wire that wasn't locked in properly (tech mistake), and the wire popped out of one of my brackets. This torqued my lower jaw so powerfully, opening up the surgical break. If I had traditional brackets, I could have at least tried to remove the wire before much damage was done. Locking brackets require a special tool, so I was stuck like this until my ortho got back from vacation.

Heavyweight

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:12:29 PM »
I don't know if I would buy into one brand over another. Damon has been marketing like crazy, so take what you read with the grain of salt.

FYI, my lower arch brackets were not Damons, but they were a locking, self-ligating type. IMO, locked brackets are risky for jaw surgery patients. I had a wire that wasn't locked in properly (tech mistake), and the wire popped out of one of my brackets. This torqued my lower jaw so powerfully, opening up the surgical break. If I had traditional brackets, I could have at least tried to remove the wire before much damage was done. Locking brackets require a special tool, so I was stuck like this until my ortho got back from vacation.

Wow -- that sounds awful. I was thinking of removing the Damon braces (or self-ligating braces) before surgery and replacing them with conventional ones. I'm mainly interested in these braces to speed up my pre-op time in braces.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 08:29:41 PM »
Has this happened to others? I don't know. Ask your ortho about locking brackets and surgical patients. I see problems with these, clearly. One mistake can make a mess out of the healing process.  

On edit: Ask your surgeon, not the ortho, about locking brackets. A lot of orthos have "relationships" with dental device manufacturers, so there's that potential bias.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:25:13 PM by neferkitti »

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 12:19:56 PM »
Can you get clear braces in front?

I had Clarity brackets on top. I believe some surgeons prefer traditional metal, but ceramics didn't cause any problems.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 01:06:11 PM »
I thought I'd expand on my thoughts regarding locking brackets. I suspect that some surgeons do not like these because, perhaps, they're a pain to deal with should a wire pop out during surgery. Maybe they have the tools to open these locks on hand, but they'd have to have tools from all the different manufacturers.

Post-surgical wire changes are another reason I don't feel confident with these. I had a type that required much downward pressure in order to "lock" the wire in place. This really jolted the tooth and my entire jaw with every bracket engagement. The thicker the wire, the greater the jolt. Intuitively, this is dangerous for barely healed bone, but it's just my take. I cannot comment on other brands and whether or not application of wires create the same pressure shock to the jaw. Ask your surgeon.

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 11:30:27 PM »
Hi all, I have the damon braces! Yes they do a ton of marketing, but any of the self-ligating braces will work in supposedly moving teeth faster.
Are my teeth moving faster than conventional braces? I dont know really, its impossible to say, and each person's case is different...

Braces dont make the difference, a great ortho does.  ;)
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 12:06:41 AM »

Well said, Cmontster.

Heavyweight

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 01:08:16 AM »

That's true, but if self-ligating braces can move teeth faster than regular braces, I want them. I'd say my life is on hold until jaw surgery, but it seems it hasn't really begun.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 02:11:21 AM »
That's true, but if self-ligating braces can move teeth faster than regular braces, I want them.
My teeth were pretty crowded pre-braces. Ceramics on top and traditional metal on the bottom straighted them nicely in 8-10 months. That doesn't include leveling, however. This was without any pain or discomfort. I have to agree with with Cmonster. The right orthodontist is key. I do like the appearance of some self lighting brackets. I think Damon manufactures the ceramic and metal hybrid. Correct me if I'm wrong here. These appear almost invisible, and they don't seem as bulky. Don't know if they're the best for surgical patients, though.

stevek216

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »
I have the damon system.  It's hard for me to compare, the last time I had braces I was like 9.  I know that within eight months from putting them on I was ready for surgery.  They have been less painful at wire replacements and I've only had to see my ortho every 8 weeks or so rather than monthly.  I like them, but I can't really give any evidence for or against their efficacy.

Heavyweight

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 04:40:15 PM »
I have the damon system.  It's hard for me to compare, the last time I had braces I was like 9.  I know that within eight months from putting them on I was ready for surgery.  They have been less painful at wire replacements and I've only had to see my ortho every 8 weeks or so rather than monthly.  I like them, but I can't really give any evidence for or against their efficacy.

8 months seems really fast. Did your orthodontist not need to move your teeth very much? How long did he estimate you'd  be in braces?

stevek216

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 06:01:32 PM »
I had already had braces on the top and had been wearing my retainer religiously.  SHE estimated 8-9 months, but put them on a year before I intended to have the surgery because she could and it would give us a nice buffer if anything were to go wrong.