Author Topic: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?  (Read 82123 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2014, 02:46:15 PM »
Wouldn't an IVRO be a good alternative to a BSSO in this case? Then one could get IVRO + Chinwing simultaneously.

My problem with the Bad Homburger method is it looks like it would create a very slanted ramus angle, which I don't find aesthetic. Some slant is ideal, as that 90? box look is awful, but the slant would surely get worse depending on how much advancement is required.

And does anyone if it truly is necessary to wait a while year to get a chinwing after a BSSO? My understanding is that the chinwing does not have to be done using the entire lower jaw. It should be possible to simply make the standard BSSO cut, advance the mandible and rotate, whatever for the proper bite. Then behind that osteotomy perform the chinwing for jaw angles, mandibular plane, ramus length, and smoothen it all out with HA paste.

Am I dreaming here? I know a BSSO will provide a great aesthetic improvement to my profile, it's just I want to get the improvements to my frontal view ASAP too. Put the whole thing behind me, you know?
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

MrRochester

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2014, 06:04:52 PM »
New chin wing result posted to Triaca's website. This result is just chin wing with no other concurrent surgeries.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2014, 07:29:46 AM »
rochester, that result is over 1 year old and it doesn't change the fact that chin wing is just another camouflage technique for class 2 patients who had class 2 orthodontics. look at that girl, you can see her lower lip is overeverted from her proclined incisors (although less after the chinwing) and her upper lip is still rolled inward.

you will never ever achieve the same result with this procedure as with a properly aligned jaw. from what i have read you are looking into this procedure as a means to get girls. do you honestly think a centimetre of bone on your chin will make you go from not getting a girl to getting her? because those triaca results are pre-selected to only showcase the very very very best outcome.

don't get me wrong, it is a great procedure, but surgeons are pushing chin wing surgeries because they can charge significantly more than for a bsso. basically they are adding the sum that you would pay an ortho for braces to the cost of a BSSO and that's what they are charging for a chin wing. they are simply pocketing way more cash that way, because they are cutting the ortho out of the loop.

a chin wing can never achieve the same aesthetic improvement of bimax + genio, not even by a mile. any surgeon who says that if you just want to look better a chin wing will give the same results is lying. you can still spot the class 2 skeleton on that girl.

applejuice

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2014, 07:35:45 AM »
She still looks great now. The outcome with perfect jaw surgery and chin wing would maybe be 10% better. Definitely not worth it if her bite is fine.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2014, 08:18:54 AM »
well i didn't have jaw surgery yet and you did, so you can judge this better. but triaca has results where he did bsso and chin wing and they look significantly better than chin wing alone. the other thing is, your bite will always be "off". the best you can achieve by camouflaging the skeletal issue is a class 1 molar relationship and a class 2 relationship as you move forward. yes, all your teeth will occlude fully but your lower incisors are severely proclined, upper incisors retroclined and the lower arch is displaced anteriorly which oftentimes results in gum recession at the lower front teeth. check the educational section of the board, there is a thread discussing this.

i agree though, chin wing is a quicker and easier fix if that is what you are after.

applejuice

« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2014, 08:54:55 AM »
If you get a result like her, then just thank god on your knees.
The published results mean s**t. It's a scam. The results posted by patients are seldom impressive. Look at the patient results Rochester posted.

MrRochester

« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2014, 11:21:37 AM »
If you get a result like her, then just thank god on your knees.
The published results mean s**t. It's a scam. The results posted by patients are seldom impressive. Look at the patient results Rochester posted.

I think the other girls are pretty impressive too and both of them said they were highly satisfied with the results.

applejuice

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2014, 12:19:04 PM »
They got a better chin but paid for it with a deep labiomental fold and a recessed lower lip.

MrRochester

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2014, 01:47:50 PM »
They got a better chin but paid for it with a deep labiomental fold and a recessed lower lip.

I think the labiomental fold looks natural and wouldn't quite qualify as deep http://imgur.com/a/n27vM, but I guess you disagree.

My main personal concern about the surgery is the changes to lip position although to be honest, I can't really detect them in the photographs (which unfortunately aren't too good). Of people who've had the surgery done, the lip alterations seems to be the most frequently voiced complaint.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2014, 02:07:03 PM »
chin wing on class 2 patients needs to be coupled with chin visor osteotomy.

sean89

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2014, 04:07:41 PM »
I've emailed a few surgeons and they seem to be advocating (if you don't want to change bite):

1. jaw implants as best option

2. Chin wing/'border expansion' as second best

There are surgeons who are saying, from experience, that they have given up the use of hydroxyapatite, not that it would be particularly effective in creating any sort of considerable width to the face.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »
There are surgeons who are saying, from experience, that they have given up the use of hydroxyapatite, not that it would be particularly effective in creating any sort of considerable width to the face.

Who are these surgeons you're talking about? It seems that very few surgeons have any experience with HA at all so I'm surprised to learn that surgeons are using it, let alone abandoning it. Did they say why exactly they've given up on HA?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2014, 04:34:12 PM »
Who are these surgeons you're talking about? It seems that very few surgeons have any experience with HA at all so I'm surprised to learn that surgeons are using it, let alone abandoning it. Did they say why exactly they've given up on HA?
Are they giving up on using it everywhere, or just the extremities? Lower jaw, chin outline?

sean89

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2014, 04:57:36 PM »
To be honest, the responses are pretty vague and I should put them into context. I emailed about 20 surgeons asking them what they did for wider jaw...do they use such materials as medpor, peek, titanium, silicon, hydroxy...most just said we use medpor/silicon, 2 of the surgeons who responded said they don't use ha paste from experience but without providing a reason.

From what I've heard, it has the propensity to crumble and cannot be accurately applied by many surgeons so maybe that's the reason...

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2014, 04:25:03 PM »
I've had the same feedback about HA for the jaw, waste of time basically.

Anyone familiar with peek implants? There's a fair chance I'm spelling it wrong btw  ;D