Author Topic: How did you overcome the fear of surgery?  (Read 5366 times)

alex8039

How did you overcome the fear of surgery?
« on: January 13, 2014, 07:07:41 AM »
Currently exactly 7 days from surgery. The mind cannot comprehend what is going to happen. I'm allowing myself to go into a freezing sterile room, allowing myself to get knocked out so I can have my entire upper jaw ripped off and screwed into place along with my bottom jaw, before which I will have all my soft tissue scrapped off like I was getting skinned alive. All this just to fix a small bite issue.

What if I wake up too early? Or wake up never? What if it never heals? How scared will I be before the injection? So many questions running through my head.

I need tips asap on how to deal with all this and go through with it. I'm trying to book an appointment with my doc to get some xanax/valium to keep me sedated enough to not run away from the anesthesia.

Gregor Samsa

Re: How did you overcome the fear of surgery?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:07:59 AM »
I don't mind the process of getting surgery at all. It's not painful and you don't even notice when you fall asleep. When you wake up you'll be pumped full of drugs and if you are in pain you can just have a nurse give you some more drugs for the pain. Everything else you mentioned is a valid concern though and the only advice I can give you is to make sure you select one of the best surgeons available. If you don't fully trust your surgeon then don't go through with the surgery.

applejuice

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 08:14:06 AM »
I cant relate. I was looking forward to the surgery.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 12:48:46 PM »
You've never had general anesthesia?

alex8039

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:31:50 PM »
You've never had general anesthesia?

I've had it done for a SARPE surgery, and it wasn't bad at all. At that time I was 18 tho and could put up with that kind of procedure, plus I was naive to what was going to happen as it was scheduled within a day.

Now that I'm older (22) and wiser I'm much more aware of how much of a pain this type of surgery is, and I made the mistake of watching lefort 1 surgery videos on youtube  :o

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:37:13 PM »
I've had it done for a SARPE surgery, and it wasn't bad at all. At that time I was 18 tho and could put up with that kind of procedure, plus I was naive to what was going to happen as it was scheduled within a day.

Now that I'm older (22) and wiser I'm much more aware of how much of a pain this type of surgery is, and I made the mistake of watching lefort 1 surgery videos on youtube  :o

So been there, done that.  LeFort 1 is a piece of cake compared with any lower jaw surgery. And you are very young still. I wouldn't worry.

alex8039

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 11:02:50 PM »
So been there, done that.  LeFort 1 is a piece of cake compared with any lower jaw surgery. And you are very young still. I wouldn't worry.

I guess from a technical standpoint the lower jaw is much harder to do, and I'm surprisingly not too worried about getting it done. The upper has me more concerned because from what I can see the surgeons must remove the entire piece and expose all my internals. What they do around the nasal area isn't too pretty either.

How well did you recover? Currently I train in thai boxing and my trainer wants me to compete, obviously I'll be declining that for at least 6 months, or forever if the bone doesn't ever regain its structure.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 01:26:28 AM »
Don't compete for at least a year after surgery. I would go even further and wait until the metal is out and your are fully recovered from that surgery.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 01:49:37 AM »
I guess from a technical standpoint the lower jaw is much harder to do, and I'm surprisingly not too worried about getting it done. The upper has me more concerned because from what I can see the surgeons must remove the entire piece and expose all my internals. What they do around the nasal area isn't too pretty either.

How well did you recover? Currently I train in thai boxing and my trainer wants me to compete, obviously I'll be declining that for at least 6 months, or forever if the bone doesn't ever regain its structure.

Won't have surgery for another 6 months at least.  Yeah, upper jaw surgery looks pretty gruesome in videos.  But appearances can be deceiving.  All the cutting is done well away from nerves.  BSSO is done by cutting in parallel to the nerve.

alex8039

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 06:02:13 PM »
Don't compete for at least a year after surgery. I would go even further and wait until the metal is out and your are fully recovered from that surgery.

Metal out? Lol they're keeping mine in forever...