Author Topic: Strength of jaw-bone post-surgery  (Read 2129 times)

alex8039

Strength of jaw-bone post-surgery
« on: January 16, 2014, 05:06:38 AM »
Does anyone have links to any studies of people who had jaw surgery and control groups of those that didn't comparing the strength of the jaw-bone post-surgery and pre-surgery?

I'm reading a report that says people who had upper jaw surgery alone have more fast-twitch muscle fibres post-surgery and an even stronger bite, whereas double-jaw surgery people are at par as pre-surgery after 6 months. This is just a curiosity for me as I love contact sports (boxing, rugby, MMA) and don't wan to give that up forever.

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Strength of jaw-bone post-surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:59:17 PM »
that's interesting to know dude, thanks. i box as well so I want to know about this too. I'm def. having bi-max, good to know you at least resume where you where at.

Ben

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 09:40:15 PM »
I can still feel a movement in the osteotomy sites 10 months post op if I push down on my 2nd molars with my finger (I don't bite hard on them). I had a scan and the doctor said that area there (the site of osteotomies) looks very flimsy. I'm a very healthy strong person (other than jaw, occlusion and breathing problems) so I think I should have healed well but it seems to me that I haven't. Could have been my surgeons poor technique which caused poor healing though.

toothfairy

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 09:08:57 PM »
My surgeon told me that the lower jaw will be much stronger in a person who has had surgery than a person who has not, BUT on my second lower jaw surgery the bone shattered because it was too thin after the first surgery. In all fairness I did get a nastily positioned wisdom tooth removed from the bone itself the first time.