Author Topic: Anyone get upper/lower surgery WITHOUT genio?  (Read 3386 times)

alex8039

Anyone get upper/lower surgery WITHOUT genio?
« on: January 18, 2014, 01:42:03 AM »
I'm set to get this done in a few days to fix an underbite. Two of my orthos, my referring surgeon and my assistant surgeon that took on my case said I'd probably get genio to balance things out. Yet the most experienced surgeon and unit head said that he won't add it to my treatment as he believes the soft tissue will bunch upwards creating the appearance of a manly chin (which is what I want). Even the assistant surgeon was a bit surprised as he thought I had a fairly flat chin. He promised that if I'm not satisfied after 6 months they would consider doing it then, but I'm obviously nervous that I'll end up looking weak-chinned for that long  :-\

toothfairy

Re: Anyone get upper/lower surgery WITHOUT genio?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:25:56 PM »
Same thing happened to me. A week prior to surgery the surgeon told me that he would not recommend doing the genio because my bite was a little unstable and I'd probably not need it anyway. He said that he predicted it would only need to come forward a few mm's anyway. I must admit that I was quite upset at the time.
 As soon as the swelling went down post surgery I was disappointed because my chin and lower jaw did not look any better. He had brought my upper jaw forward by a lot and my lower jaw was still very passive. Yes the teeth met perfectly (don't ask me how) but my upper and lower jaw did not look in alignment at all.
So I went to see a cosmetic surgeon to get a second opinion (6 months after surgery). He agreed that my upper jaw was a long way forward and my lower chin needed to move a good 10mm. I see my orthognathic surgeon in two weeks time and I'm predicting that he will tell me that it's perfectly fine. It's probably just a matter of taste on the part of the surgeon. Both the orthognathic and cosmetic surgeons are highly qualified and top in their filds so I'm not in doubt of their ability.
I am now looking at getting a genio (yay another surgery!) but at least now they'll hopefully get it right.

ticktickatick

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:11:20 PM »
I really didn't want genio, originally my surgeon told me it was up to me, because it would be purely for aesthetics. He did say "keep in mind you have a VERY small chin."

But at my pre-op he basically said that I had "such a chin deficiency" that I wouldn't be happy unless I got genio, so I went with it.

dovidiostore

• Private
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:03:18 AM »
i did not even have lower jaw surgery or a genio, just upper. my surgeon was able to still bring out my chin naturally and it is noticeable

toothfairy

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 02:43:29 PM »
So I went back to my surgeon after 12 months and he never mentioned the genio until I brought it up. He suggested I wait another 6 months to decide, as things were still settling down and it would change further. I am so over the "waiting for things to settle down".
The plastic surgeon said I definitely needed a genio and quoted me $8000 to do it. The orthognathic surgeon deducted $300 off my overall bill for NOT doing the genio at the time of the other surgery. I don't know how this makes any sense.

I'm thinking of having temporary fillers in my chin to see what it looks like and then maybe just having a chin implant in overseas on the cheap.

ForeverDet

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 03:26:27 PM »
So I went back to my surgeon after 12 months and he never mentioned the genio until I brought it up. He suggested I wait another 6 months to decide, as things were still settling down and it would change further. I am so over the "waiting for things to settle down".
The plastic surgeon said I definitely needed a genio and quoted me $8000 to do it. The orthognathic surgeon deducted $300 off my overall bill for NOT doing the genio at the time of the other surgery. I don't know how this makes any sense.

I'm thinking of having temporary fillers in my chin to see what it looks like and then maybe just having a chin implant in overseas on the cheap.

8K is steep for genio alone, not including hospital and anesthesia fees I'm assuming. Maybe find a oral surgeon who has done hundreds of them and I'm sure there are other docs with more reasonable prices.

ticktickatick

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 09:34:21 PM »

8k is a bit steep, but keep in mind probably about half of that is getting you back into the hospital and going under anesthesia and paying all the other staff...

I think genio on mine added 1k or 1.5k to the total bill.

Have you considered that maybe the surgeon just isn't comfortable doing genio? That might be more why he didn't want to do it. I was told that genio has a little bit more risk for permanent numbness than the jaw surgery itself.

toothfairy

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 11:01:08 PM »
That was for the surgeon ONLY.