Author Topic: 3D surgical planning  (Read 5901 times)

streo

3D surgical planning
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:40:24 PM »
How many here are getting their orthognathic surgery planned in three dimensions?

Krista

Re: 3D surgical planning
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:30:12 PM »
Which surgeons do that?

streo

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:05:05 PM »
Which surgeons do that?

I think you have to ask.  Both orthodontists and surgeons can use 3D planning for anything relating to the skull.  Supposedly there is a big difference between using only 2D cephalometric tracing and using both 2D/3D planning.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1279747-workup
Three-dimensional computerized tomography (3DCT) is increasingly being used for surgical evaluation and planning in academic settings. Preoperative planning using 3DCT offers multiple potential advantages, including the ability to easily consider multiple different surgical approaches to a problem and the ability to characterize degree and direction of skeletal movement at any point over the osteotomized segment (as opposed to only the occlusal level). With advancing technology, such 3D visualization of the patient's anatomic deformity is likely to replace today's conventional 2D cephalometric analysis.

Of course there is this article by Arnett & colleagues that was posted somewhere else on this forum talking about 3D planning.  Arnett has done quite a bit to push technology in this direction, so it's safe to say that if Arnett/Gunson are involved, then you probably are getting this type of technology applied to your orthognathic plan:
http://books.google.com/books?id=phBBBzH_aO8C&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=Three-Dimensiona#v=onepage&q&f=false

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 03:08:15 PM »
How many here are getting their orthognathic surgery planned in three dimensions?

Might be a good question for hara.v. She had a 3D model done through the NHS, I believe.

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/other/surgery-with-gunson/msg176/#msg176

streo

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »
Might be a good question for hara.v. She had a 3D model done through the NHS, I believe.

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/other/surgery-with-gunson/msg176/#msg176

Yeah, it would be safe to assume she's in 3D.  Goes to show NHS isn't as bad as people think!

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 03:12:35 PM »
I believe the technology is called stereo lithography. Correct me if I'm wrong. I only know this because we were looking into it for our business (unrelated to dentistry). It's definitely not cheap, so the average practice is unlikely to offer this. However, I suppose they could contract out.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 03:13:58 PM »
Yeah, it would be safe to assume she's in 3D.  Goes to show NHS isn't as bad as people think!

Well, they have the capital that small private practices often do not. But, yeah, it's awesome for her since her case is complicated.

Krista

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 06:04:48 PM »
For those planning surgery with arnett or Gunson out there did you get 3D imagaging projections of yourself??

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 09:03:39 AM »
No, just 2D at the initial consult.  They use 3D technology for surgical planning though.  I've posted a video on my blog called VSP Orthognathics showing this.

CK

• Private
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 04:06:43 PM »
For those planning surgery with arnett or Gunson out there did you get 3D imagaging projections of yourself??

yes. both gunson and arnett do it, but it does not show the soft tissue.

streo

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »
yes. both gunson and arnett do it, but it does not show the soft tissue.

What do you mean it doesn't show the soft tissue?