Author Topic: You think these results were achieved with just a genioplasty?  (Read 5229 times)

tdawg

• Private
http://www.facecenterla.com/photos/genioplasty.html

The first set. It looks like more than a genioplasty was done, but they do have an orthognathic section that you would think it would be in if that was the case.

stevek216

Re: You think these results were achieved with just a genioplasty?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
Since many people (myself included) have a genioplasty done in addition to other work, they probably have very few cases of JUST genioplasty.  So maybe they're including everybody who's had a genioplasty regardless of whether it's in addition to another procedure.  Maybe check to see if they're also included in other sections?

Although on second thought, there are only three examples, maybe it is just a genioplasty?

Third thought - I checked the orthognathic section, and the older woman is included in that section as well as the genioplasty one.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 03:51:32 PM »
http://www.facecenterla.com/photos/genioplasty.html

The first set. It looks like more than a genioplasty was done, but they do have an orthognathic section that you would think it would be in if that was the case.

In the two men, I see defined drop down angles in their afters. Question is, can this be achieved with genio alone? I would email this doctor and ask what procedures were done. Both of these guys look good, but I'm not entirely convinced just genio got them there. I suppose it's possible...

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:40:08 PM »
Update: I emailed the surgeon and asked her. She confirmed that he did have only a genioplasty.

Im still a bit skeptical tbh, but if it is true it is great work.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 12:11:15 AM »
Update: I emailed the surgeon and asked her. She confirmed that he did have only a genioplasty.

Im still a bit skeptical tbh, but if it is true it is great work.

Did you ask about both men? If these results were accomplished via genio alone, then, yeah, great job! Still unclear how a genio would result in more jaw angle definition, though. Perhaps a forward pull on the muscles?

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 12:20:15 AM »
Only the first guy.

Im guessing, he has similar bone structure to me, where by advancing the point forward, they are also raising it, due to the angle of the mandibular plane. Whereas people with a flatter mandibular plane would see more of a pure horizontal effect. Also he is probably exaggerating a bit in the before photo.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 12:22:30 AM »
Only the first guy.

Im guessing, he has similar bone structure to me, where by advancing the point forward, they are also raising it, due to the angle of the mandibular plane. Whereas people with a flatter mandibular plane would see more of a pure horizontal effect.

Are you saying that you'd need a vertical shortening with a horizontal advancement?

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 12:34:36 AM »
Im not really sure, I have only found one case of vertical shortening(where it was stated that it was done), and the profile view wasnt shown.

http://idaynr.com/journals/Jan-april-08.pdf

page 331 but be warned its graphic

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 12:47:14 AM »
Im not really sure, I have only found one case of vertical shortening(where it was stated that it was done), and the profile view wasnt shown.

http://idaynr.com/journals/Jan-april-08.pdf

page 331 but be warned its graphic

It is remarkable that they were able to resolve his issue without full jaw surgery. What spooked me were the suspension sutures. I wonder how long they were left in place and how exactly this prevented ptosis. Thanks for posting. I am sure that if this is a viable solution, there are more case studies out there. Do have access to a university medical library?

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
Honestly I have no doubt that a well done genioplasty can solve my problem. I think Im going to wait a bit though.