Author Topic: Where can I talk to Arnett patients who regret their surgeries?  (Read 9190 times)

screwsandplates

• Private
Hello. I am due to have surgery with Dr. Arnett. I chose him because I heard marvelous things about him. However, now I am worried that I will look "chimp-like" as some other patients have complained.

I sought jaw surgery for cosmetic reasons, but it was discovered that I have a very small airway, which means that both of my jaws (I have a good bite) are recessed.

I would like to talk with some of Arnett's unhappy patients and find out more.

Does anyone have any contact info for these people or some input of their own? I am getting my braces on in 2 weeks. Please help me.

Thank you,

screwsandplates

tdawg

• Private
Re: Where can I talk to Arnett patients who regret their surgeries?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 05:23:10 PM »
If you have a small airway that usually means both jaws are very recessed. It will be hard for any surgeon to advance them to the point that you look "chimp like"

Eroica

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:08:29 AM »
If you have a small airway that usually means both jaws are very recessed. It will be hard for any surgeon to advance them to the point that you look "chimp like"

Not at all. Loads of the patients I see who undergo surgery for sleep apnea end up with overprojected jaws. One chick who posted her pics on another forum recently had a near flawless pre-op profile and after bimax advancement for sleep apnea had a big protruding jaw/mouth area like Ron Perlman.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 09:09:34 AM »
Lol, I think I'm the only one here who actually likes the chimp look.

Eroica

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:17:39 AM »
The point is that this girl looked much better before the surgery than after. I'm not saying such an outcome is typical, but it does seem to be disturbingly common with sleep apnea surgeries especially.

Jack

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 10:29:42 AM »
The point is that this girl looked much better before the surgery than after. I'm not saying such an outcome is typical, but it does seem to be disturbingly common with sleep apnea surgeries especially.

I thought a lefort 1 basically always results in a chimp look (i.e. it tends to distend the upper lip and change the nose angle so more upper lip is visible). Frankly, it is absolutely unacceptable and looks horrible. It's very important to maintain a short distance between the base of your nose and upper lip.

screwsandplates

• Private
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 10:22:56 PM »

Could you please give me the link to her blog? Or the link to her blog amid other links to other blogs, so I can fish it out, that way it isn't pointing fingers? I really dont want to look like Ron Perlman.

AZJ

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 12:36:18 PM »
According to this page on their website it seems like part of the reason they use the counterclockwise rotation procedure is to avoid the chimp like look. http://www.arnettgunson.com/fab-treatment-planning/airway/sleep-apnea-treatment/ccw-mma-osa-cure
From what I could research online some other surgeon's don't like the CCW rotation because they say it isn't as stable.

MaxDO

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 11:04:39 AM »
Eroica, do you know which dr the patient you referred to who began with a normal profile but ended up with a sort of Ron Pearlman jaws? I want to avoid drs who don't take that into consideration, seems obvious to me that they would want to avoid that unless there were other circumstances.

screwsandplates

• Private
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 08:59:24 PM »
Oh man, I just remembered this thread. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bashing Arnett or anything. It's pretty confusing when you have so many different opinions on the internet, but hardly any photos.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »
Did you have your surgery

screwsandplates

• Private
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »
Did you have your surgery

No. I still haven't decided who I will go with. If I didn't have a chin implant, my decision would be so much easier.

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 07:29:26 PM »
Because why?

screwsandplates

• Private
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 07:56:46 PM »
Because why?

I'd be more clear-headed. I honestly want this over and done with, but I'm preoccupied with all of the possible outcomes from removing my implant. In most cases, double jaw surgery and a regular genioplasty ends up looking beautiful. My main concerns are:

- CCW or regular LeFort 1
- replace or keep the implant (and during the operation or after)

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »
As i told another user, i would remove it. no brainer.

If you don't, you face a 100% probability of a second surgery to fix that.

if you do...you might have  a second surgery to fix ptosis...but thing might turn well!