Author Topic: Genioplastys impact on face shape  (Read 17117 times)

angelstrings

Genioplastys impact on face shape
« on: September 02, 2012, 10:30:42 AM »
My surgeon said he would advance my chin 4-6mm. He went on to say that it should not have any impact from the frontal view on the shape of my face. I am inclined to think there will be a slight change at least because everyone online who has had this thing done says it changed their face, made it narrow, etc.

If software can't do it, maybe an artist or someone with a really good imagination could predict the change. What does anyone know about face shape change after sliding genioplasty?

stevek216

Re: Genioplastys impact on face shape
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 11:31:31 AM »
I had a genioplasty, but it was in combination with a few other procedures so it might be hard to tell, I'm in the underbites section though.

pekay

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 02:19:16 PM »
I've seen a 14mm genio which was done to provide better horizontal and vertical projection it looked really good imo, the bony chin portion was then split into 2 with the gap being filled using bone grafts from the patient's rib (this was done to add width to the patient's face)
Chopsticks > Spoons

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 06:47:42 PM »
Double anesthesia.

pekay

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
Chopsticks > Spoons

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 12:16:46 AM »
Double anesthesia.

Seriously.  When you get this surgery done, the last thing you want is another surgery 2 months later. 

Besides the convenience of getting it done all in one go, swelling hasn't set in when they do surgery the first time so they can more accurately do the movements to the chin based upon un-swollen soft-tissue.  2 months after surgery you will still have swelling which could be masking how your soft-tissue lays and the skeletal movement could be inaccurate.

Additionally, it could be really bad for your body to have more surgery while it's still trying to heal from the first one IMO.

pekay

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:59:47 AM »
Sliding genioplasties very commonly cause frontal chin narrowing. This is because the procedure is essentially sliding a u-shaped segment of bone in front of a bigger u-shaped piece of bone behind it. By definitiion this makes a more narrow and even potentially pointy chin. This can be treated secondarily by using a specific implant known as a prejowl implant where the fullness is all out to the sides or to modifiy an anatomic chin implant so there is minimal thickness at the anterior chin point in the middle. Essentially building out the sides of the chin back to the anterior body of the mandible will make it wider in the frontal view. -Dr Barry L. Eppley
Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 10:08:40 AM »
is a wide chin always ideal?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 12:13:32 PM »
Where do you find this stuff! Pekay, for all the criticisms against you, you are good! I actually think very strong articulated chins like that look fantastic. I wonder if this is what the patient wanted or Schendel advised it. I know looking at the chin alone like that might seem as if it's extreme, but I've noticed most really attractive people have quite exaggerated chins in fact.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »
what would be truly amazing to achieve though is that degree of upper tooth show when one's mouth is open. But she clearly had that before. Is there any way to get that through surgery pekay? What do you think? I have a long upper lip which obscures most of my top row of teeth when my mouth is open. What movement would make them more prominent?

pekay

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 12:31:02 PM »
what would be truly amazing to achieve though is that degree of upper tooth show when one's mouth is open. But she clearly had that before. Is there any way to get that through surgery pekay? What do you think? I have a long upper lip which obscures most of my top row of teeth when my mouth is open. What movement would make them more prominent?

pretty sure that she had a maxillary impaction but like you said so yourself she already had that (upper tooth show) before surgery

I think the impaction + lower jaw advancement along with the genio which fixed the lip incompetence and straining made her upper arch more visible but it's hard to tell since she is smiling (pictures A and C) and has a half smirk on picture B

I found this particular journal on ScienceDirect. Schendel describes a new sliding genioplasty technique that he uses in order to avoid contour deformities
Chopsticks > Spoons

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 05:52:41 PM »
SHARE SHARE SHARE SHARE!

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 09:00:38 PM »
Sliding genioplasties very commonly cause frontal chin narrowing. This is because the procedure is essentially sliding a u-shaped segment of bone in front of a bigger u-shaped piece of bone behind it. By definitiion this makes a more narrow and even potentially pointy chin. This can be treated secondarily by using a specific implant known as a prejowl implant where the fullness is all out to the sides or to modifiy an anatomic chin implant so there is minimal thickness at the anterior chin point in the middle. Essentially building out the sides of the chin back to the anterior body of the mandible will make it wider in the frontal view. -Dr Barry L. Eppley

clearly this point about genioplasty causing "frontal chin narrowing" is not always true --the example you posted by Schendel shows the opposite, the girls chin looks much wider and more balanced.

pekay

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »
I've seen a 14mm genio which was done to provide better horizontal and vertical projection it looked really good imo, the bony chin portion was then split into 2 with the gap being filled using bone grafts from the patient's rib (this was done to add width to the patient's face)

check it, I found the exact name of this procedure it's called: Horizontal-T genioplasty

Horizontal-T genioplasty--(a modified technique for the broad or asymmetrical chin).

A modified technique for genioplasty is described. A horizontal, single-slice of bone is sectioned from the inferior border of the chin, with preservation of the lingual soft tissue attachment, in the conventional manner. This is divided sagittally into three segments, which are not necessarily equal, and are then repositioned in the shape of a horizontal 'T'. To achieve this, the lateral segments are advanced and approximated in front of the central fragment which itself is also advanced. These are fixed in position and when desirable any voids may be filled with autogenous bone or hydroxyapatite. This simple technique augments the chin to an equal if not to a greater extent than the conventional 'double slide' genioplasty. It combines augmentation with narrowing and has the flexibility to reposition the chin. This technique is not advocated for routine use but more for the special case when augmentation is required for the patient with a broad, flat or asymmetrical chin. A presentation of four case histories will illustrate the application of this technique.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2207038

if anyone is wondering who the surgeon was that did that Horizontal-T genioplasty that I mentioned it in page 1, his name is Dr David A Koppel

http://www.davidkoppel.com/David_Koppel/Welcome.html
Chopsticks > Spoons

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 08:54:51 PM »
check it, I found the exact name of this procedure it's called: Horizontal-T genioplasty

Horizontal-T genioplasty--(a modified technique for the broad or asymmetrical chin).

A modified technique for genioplasty is described. A horizontal, single-slice of bone is sectioned from the inferior border of the chin, with preservation of the lingual soft tissue attachment, in the conventional manner. This is divided sagittally into three segments, which are not necessarily equal, and are then repositioned in the shape of a horizontal 'T'. To achieve this, the lateral segments are advanced and approximated in front of the central fragment which itself is also advanced. These are fixed in position and when desirable any voids may be filled with autogenous bone or hydroxyapatite. This simple technique augments the chin to an equal if not to a greater extent than the conventional 'double slide' genioplasty. It combines augmentation with narrowing and has the flexibility to reposition the chin. This technique is not advocated for routine use but more for the special case when augmentation is required for the patient with a broad, flat or asymmetrical chin. A presentation of four case histories will illustrate the application of this technique.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2207038

i wish i had a broader chin, mine is too narrow pointy, so i want the opposite...

if anyone is wondering who the surgeon was that did that Horizontal-T genioplasty that I mentioned it in page 1, his name is Dr David A Koppel

http://www.davidkoppel.com/David_Koppel/Welcome.html