Author Topic: Arnett surgery is on!  (Read 2580 times)

Antbee

Arnett surgery is on!
« on: September 06, 2012, 09:43:14 AM »
HI guys, so I've been nervously waiting for Dr A to review my final models and confirm my surgery date. Previously, I had begged the office to reserve me a date based on the promise of my ortho, even though I wasn't technically ready. So yesterday I got the call - it's all going ahead. I've gone from desperate to get the date to super nervous. My surgery is set for Oct 11. I will post pictures (but maybe after swelling has gone down a bit).
Dr Arnett's assistant Lena responded this morning to some questions i emailed last night saying i could just call her, but when I did Dr Arnett came on the line himself and made me feel so much better.
He said:

Chances of blindness from le fort (something I had read about on archwired) were 'zero'.

Parathesia or permanent numbness risk is 5% (I know this info is out there, but I wanted to hear it from him - this still scares me)

One in 20 patients will have a tooth die post-surgery. I pointed out those weren't really great odds but he said if it happens you get a root canal and bleach the tooth.

If I relapse I would pay only for hospital and anesthesia (my insurance covers hospital first time around, not sure if there's a second)

Then Lena called me right after and talked to me for ages. Basically after answering my questions, she said at this point I just have to trust him and not drive myself crazy worrying and reading. She was reassuring about giving me still a decent amount of tooth show as it is youthful (also feminine). I currently have 7mm tooth show and am having a 4.5 maxillary impaction (that may change later). I'm assuming the CCW will pull the soft tissue up a little giving me at least 3mm tooth show post-op. Anyway, I trust he knows what he's doing. As he joked to me, trying to reassure me, 'I've only done this 4000 times, so...'
Anyway, one month til I head to santa barbara for pre-op appts....

Antbee

Re: Arnett surgery is on!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 01:17:35 PM »
Yeah wow that is terrible. I had mine done age 15 and they were so impacted they were almost upside down - I was hugely swollen for two weeks but  I nerve issues ever. I wonder what that was about? Did your surgeon explain at all?

Joy

• Private
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 09:36:29 AM »
Congrats on getting a surgery date Antbee!  I just got mine scheduled with Gunson and feel so relieved and excited!

I am impressed that Dr. Arnett himself got on the phone to speak with you.  That's very reassuring  :)

Antbee

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 10:29:03 AM »
Congrats to you too Joy. When is your surgery? What are you having done?