Author Topic: new here and glad i found you all.  (Read 4612 times)

Naysmum

new here and glad i found you all.
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:19:43 PM »
Hi All,

I just stumbled across this forum while looking at something totally unrelated and thought i'd join. I'll be a member for a while as it's many years before my daughter will need her jaw surgery and there is not much info given yet as to exactly what they will do.
She is 19months old at the moment and at 13 months was diagnosed with Hemifacial microsomia and Microtia. She has her ear op in about 2 years but they wont operate on her jaw till she is aroun 14 and stops growing.
She is having her teeth evaluated next month as they are overcrowding on her smaller side. Her jaw it a wierd shape, i can only describe it as a crossed overbite?

Naysmum

Re: new here and glad i found you all.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 05:41:49 AM »
thanks for your reply.
We dont have to worry about insurance as being a "craniofacial" patient and it being caused by a birth defect it's all covered by the government medical system. thank goodness I live in Australia! We may have to cover some dental work but as far as i know thats about it all therapies and surgeries are covered.

treevernal

• Private
Re: new here and glad i found you all.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 12:01:30 AM »
thanks for your reply.
We dont have to worry about insurance as being a "craniofacial" patient and it being caused by a birth defect it's all covered by the government medical system. thank goodness I live in Australia! We may have to cover some dental work but as far as i know thats about it all therapies and surgeries are covered.

Thats good to hear.  Perhaps since she is so young she would benefit from distraction osteogenesis?  Not sure, but im sure her doctors know what is best.