Author Topic: Wisdom teeth removal  (Read 4888 times)

Kristen

• Private
Wisdom teeth removal
« on: September 18, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »
Thoughts on taking wisdom teeth out before , during or after double jaw surgery?   Anybody get to keep them?
How was the pain?

Heavyweight

Re: Wisdom teeth removal
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:12:13 PM »
What kind of anesthesia is typically used? Can you get them out under just local even if they are severely impacted?

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 06:05:28 PM »
I think a local under would be barbaric.

CK

• Private
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 06:51:29 PM »
i was under the impression one could not have jaw surgery unless their wisdom teeth were out. at least i think it is preferred by surgeons.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:52:29 PM »
Can any post-opers comment on jaw surgery pain vs. wisdom teeth removal.  I've heard people say the two are similar but I don't understand how jaw surgery isn't much more painful.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:14:34 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought.  Weren't your pain levels eased with enough pain meds though? Or did you have your moments of really bad pain?

CK

• Private
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 09:22:46 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought.  Weren't your pain levels eased with enough pain meds though? Or did you have your moments of really bad pain?

it's a different pain. i remember having my wisdom teeth out and my mouth felt empty in the back. couldnt eat real food for a week. then in two weeks i was basically healed. i had all my wisdom teeth removed in one go under general.

jaw surgery, pain is a combination of many things. first, it's the nurses, who will do anything to get you out of the recovery room and move you to your bed. the pain meds didn't help much, the morphine will kill the pain in the hospital.

real pain is the first week, and i would say it peaks during the weekend (surgeries are wed/thurs i think). new pains show up, achiness, muscle spasms, possible fatigue from the new diet. it's like comparing a car accident to a paper cut.

i really think the pain issue was one of the understated components of the surgery. i knew the swelling would be bad, but the assistants were pretty casual. i guess you really dont know until you experience it for yourself.

too many variables...how much movement, double/upper, etc....

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 09:31:59 PM »
it's like comparing a car accident to a paper cut.

Not helping to calm my nerves!  >:(

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 07:31:05 AM »
How old were you all when you had wisdom teeth out?
Any facial changes after the swelling went down?
How many days off from work or school needed?

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 08:06:57 AM »

i fortunately got mine done on a friday, but i wouldve needed two days off because it triggered a cold/sinus problem.  my ribs hurt like hell for some reason.

i dont know about facial changes.  i try not to look at myself in the mirror too much :)
also my face always feels swollen from my awful tmj/masseter issues

falcao

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 11:11:44 PM »
I have the same dilemma. i can do it under local (also impacted), or under general which will cost me 4 times more. I think I'm going for local and will simply have to put up with the pain.