Author Topic: Surgery with Arnett 10/11  (Read 47799 times)

Antbee

Surgery with Arnett 10/11
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:23:33 AM »
Hi everyone, surgery is on Thursday! Cannot believe I'm actually doing this. Still, trying not to freak out and focusing on the end result and the fact that by 2013 all should be much improved.
Final surgical plan was decided yesterday. Upper is now being moved up a further mm - 5.5mm and forward 2mm. He's also doing an upper lip reconstruction to even out my upper lip which is wonky and much thinner than my lower. He also says I'll have tooth support for my upper lip now which I haven't had before. He talked a bit about how all my ortho work had made my chin lose shape (extractions from the front of my lower jaw).
The lower jaw is coming up and forward, probably no genio and he's going to level my lower jaw as it's currently off, leaning to the left. Genio may happen once he's in there. I'm having a TON of augmentation with HA etc. oh and some CCW and my midlines are off to they are moving a bit too.
One thing I'm really worried about is my tooth roots are very close and he says doing the 3-piece segmenting will be tight and in his career he's seen 60 teeth die due to upper surgery like this, but he says he needs to segment my upper because it's much narrower than the lower. He says if a tooth dies I'll need a root canal but can't really fix it for a year (not sure why yet but I would hate to have a grey front tooth for a year! I'm worried about that one).
Oh also my nerves are unusually low and toward the outside of my lower jaw line which is a risk factor for permanent damage. Jeez. But he didn't seem massively worried and said I didn't have the other risk factors.
I feel quite anxious and a bit panicky about the long haul ahead/ risk factors but am trying to think it'll be worth it in the end. Zach (surgery with Arnett 10/4) has been a real help telling me how he's doing which has been great.

treevernal

• Private
Re: Surgery with Arnett 10/11
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:59:19 AM »
You are about 3 months ahead of me (my surgery with arnett is 1/17/2013) so I am jealous!  Best of luck to you and just know that you are in the very best hands (thats what my orthodontist keeps telling me whenever I say im scared of surgery haha).  

I wonder which teeth are most prone to dying/needing root canals?  Is it usually just in the upper jaw?  The canines?  Incisors?  Im curious about that.

Keep us in the loop!

Edit: also, considering arnett has done this surgery over 4500 times, having only 60 teeth die is not bad at all.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 11:12:10 AM »
Good luck.  Be sure to keep us in the loop, which I'm sure you will.  I believe I'm next in line after you.  I just try to relax and avoid thinking about what actually goes on during surgery.  You're asleep and won't feel a thing.  Just a nice long power nap.  Just think, you only have one more day of your misaligned jaw! 

funnybones

• Private
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 10:46:05 PM »
Good Luck to you Antbee! I would be (will be?) quite nervous myself, but remember you will be in expert hands. I'll be checking on your status  :)

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 12:45:56 AM »
Good luck!!!

Joy

• Private
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
I know it's a little late, just wanted to tell you good luck with your recovery Antbee!  Can't wait to hear how it went  :)

znewton

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 09:26:42 AM »
Received a text this morning from her that she's doing alright   :)

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 11:28:09 AM »
What do they do to help with the swelling?   Hope things get better soon for you.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 11:39:07 AM »
It's good to hear from you.  It's that bad huh?  That's not exactly what I wanted to hear with 5 weeks to go but I appreciate the honesty. How has your pain/ breathing and discomfort been?

CK

• Private
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 11:42:37 AM »
Hi guys, well I'm home after staying an extra night in hospital (I couldn't drink enough). I'm not going to sugarcoat it, this is extremely hard going. Plus the nurses at the hospital were kind of mean. Dr A was pleased though and said everything went well. He did end up doing the genio after all.
I cannot begin the explain how intense the swelling is! It's so huge I can't move my  lips or face. Numbness is hard to tell because the swelling may be adding to that weird sensation. I have some feeling everywhere except my chin.
Il update with photos once the swelling is a bit better. Thanks for all your support.

mean nurses? that is not cool. AG have la special relationship with the hospital, i mean they bring huge business so patients get special treatment, probably $900k-1mill and possibly more for patients who pay for additional days. this assuming AG do ~100 surgeries year, which is a conservative estimate i think.

it's good you have some feeling, my whole face was numb for about a week.

CK

• Private
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 04:43:45 PM »
A/G don't really give you stuff to counteract swelling -no ice or heat allowed so that might be part of the reason. I had mainly HA augmentation and some BMP. Basically i'm plodding through the days looking ahead to when I feel better.

yeah, cause it delays swelling and can mess up the HA if patients were to press to hard with a cold/hot pack. how was the morphine lol?

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 05:29:29 PM »
Antbee! Glad to hear your surgery went well, it seems the epic swelling is normal especially for the grafts. When do you see Dr.A next? How are you spending your time? Getting enough sleep?
Take care :)
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 06:02:05 PM »
Antbee I think you've won half the battle by having a positive mindset and knowing that this is all so temporary in the grand scheme of things! I think Zach has his appointment on Wed as well ! Take it easy dear, and get as much rest as you can. Do you have a blog at all ?
hugs :)
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

funnybones

• Private
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 08:12:27 PM »
You did it!!!

Now you can relax a bit, perhaps. It is good to hear that you are keeping yourself encouraged; that should be a big help in the healing process.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 09:21:02 PM »
Congrats on making it through.  Kinda freaked out about recovery tho; everyone says it's harder than they realize.  10 mm is a lot of shortening!

Honestly I would say something to Arnett or the hospital about how you were treated.  Every a&g patient ive talked to says how great the nurses are so it surprises me that they'd be that way to you...id be pretty ticked off.

Glad to hear you're doing well.  You seem like a strong person and I know youll recover wonderfully.