Author Topic: Double jaw surgery  (Read 13235 times)

superfly

Double jaw surgery
« on: July 06, 2015, 04:36:49 PM »
Hi all

I sort of have the Superbowl of jaw/teeth issues so here goes. I have a class III malocclusion, along with a slight cross bite and have also developed an open bite. I have suffered from sleep apnea all my life.

My right TMJ has been hurting me for the past 3-4 years now. I was able to get an MRI earlier this year and my right TMJ disc is anterior displaced. The left looked OK but I have inflammation, crunching and grating sounds in both. Both hurt to bite down hard now so I basically just stick to a soft diet.

I have gone to many jaw surgeons and orthodontists looking for opinions. The only two groups who are willing to help me are the Harvard and BU groups in Boston. Both groups recommend double jaw surgery and don't seem to be concerned about the TMJ's or displaced disc in the least. I have been told that double jaw surgery is neutral when it comes to the joints. Due to the sleep apnea both my jaws will need to come out.

Has anyone on the boards read or had direct experience with double jaw surgery when one or two of the disc's were displaced? My instincts tell me I could end up in all sorts of pain by moving the jaws out but again the surgeons don't seem concerned at all. I am already in so much pain from the bite being so off and things are only getting worse.

Thank you.

superfly

Re: Double jaw surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 11:18:31 PM »
No replies. :(

april

• Private
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 09:40:46 AM »
Superfly,

Both of my discs are displaced. I haven't had surgery, but I have quite a few articles on jaw surgery & TMJ. I'll  look through them again and send the good ones to you. I am worried about it too, so have been researching as much as I can.

Honestly, I WOULD be concerned if the surgeons aren't concerned.

You could contact a 'Roth Williams' Orthodontist to get a different take on things. The RW philosophy respect the joints. Arnett & Gunson follow this philosophy, as do the orthodontists they refer to. They would most likely put you into a splint first to get your joints in a stable and comfortable position. I can't speak of their success personally, but I like their take on things and wish I had someone near me who follows it!

superfly

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 05:09:33 PM »
Hi Bee

Ok, Thanks for the info. Let's chat offline sometime, send me an email with contact info. I have only been able to find one person so far that had double jaw surgery who also had displaced discs and they are only a few months out.