Author Topic: overbite effect on face  (Read 21943 times)

jesterofmalice

overbite effect on face
« on: March 26, 2014, 01:31:02 PM »
I've never really liked the way I look.
Always felt fat/undefined in the face even with a low body fat percentage.
I'm 26.

I've think the problem is to do with my teeth/jaw?
I have an overbite. Also a fairly small chin. 
I think the problem is that there isn't enough support around the corners of the mouth/jaw, and as
a result, I feel as though the cheek/jowel area looks 'heavy'. Corners of mouth are pointed lightly down.

I actually look 10x better when I pull the skin around my cheekbones upwards. It gives my face some definition, and it gives me a chin!
Apparently I am way too young for a facelift, though, and I also feel it would be a bit like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound and not adressing the underlying issues.

I've seen 2 different orthodontists in the last few weeks.
Both said more or less the same thing which is:

My lower jaw is slightly recessed, but not bad enough to warrant orthagnathic surgery. Most surgeons wouldn't even treat me.

Deep bite and cross bite. Teeth getting worn down slightly.

Braces would fix most of my issues, but he said that he couldn't promise that it would help my appearance issues that I am concerned about.
At least he could see what I meant, though. (which was nice)
He could see that from looking at my face, my upper jaw didn't seem to support the underlying facial tissues which
makes my face look a little chubby/heavy. So the corners of my mouth point down like i'm sad.

He said braces COULD help this issue, although it wouldn't be the sort of thing that he'd be comfortable promising/

I'm not sure what to do.
What do you think?

Do I get braces, and risk having to wear braces as an adult for 3 years to only benefit from my teeth being straighter but nothing else?
Do I begin to look at other things in an attempt to hide the issues?
face lift? (seems crazy at my age!)
Chin(and jowel) implant?

I'd appreciate input, especially from those who can relate!

notrain

• Private
Re: overbite effect on face
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 01:48:20 PM »
if you truly feel that your upper jaw is responsible, then you would need to get bimax for cosmetic reasons (which i wouldn't recommend).

i think you should go to a surgeon who offers chin wing osteotomy. if you truly only have a slightly recessed lower jaw, the chin wing could add bone to your entire jawline and the chin, which should also improve any sagging tissue issue. I'd also look into braces, if they can fix your bite issue without surgery. A proper class 1 bite will subtly improve your face, for instance lifting a deep bite will help with your mouth area (it will add a bit of height and support around there).

jesterofmalice

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 04:29:53 AM »
if you truly feel that your upper jaw is responsible, then you would need to get bimax for cosmetic reasons (which i wouldn't recommend).

i think you should go to a surgeon who offers chin wing osteotomy. if you truly only have a slightly recessed lower jaw, the chin wing could add bone to your entire jawline and the chin, which should also improve any sagging tissue issue. I'd also look into braces, if they can fix your bite issue without surgery. A proper class 1 bite will subtly improve your face, for instance lifting a deep bite will help with your mouth area (it will add a bit of height and support around there).

Yes.
At the moment, i'm thinking braces for a few years which will make my teeth straight and HOPEFULLY have a positive effect on my face, although i'm very doubtful. I think i'd need expansions, and none of the orthos i've seen so far have even mentioned them sort of appliances in my case.

After that, I guess i'll have to be looking at things like facelifts (mad at my age, but meh), and chin/jaw implants etc.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 10:50:10 AM »
at 26 nonsurgical expansion isn't possible. have you consulted with a maxfac surgeon? if you haven't, just do that and tell him what you told us. going to orthodontists with complaints about your face is pointless, in my opinion.

jesterofmalice

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 03:18:12 PM »
at 26 nonsurgical expansion isn't possible. have you consulted with a maxfac surgeon? if you haven't, just do that and tell him what you told us. going to orthodontists with complaints about your face is pointless, in my opinion.

I'm not clear on the process of seeing a maxfac surgeon.
I'd need a referral? And since my real concerns are more or less cosmetic, would anyone refer me?
And the goal would be jaw surgery?

notrain

• Private
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 02:04:04 AM »
i am not from the uk.

i just called the maxfac's office and set up an appointment for a consultation.

i'd say just do the same and if you have a condition that needs fixing, he will be able to tell if you have to pay for it yourself or if you can get it on the NHS.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 04:39:02 AM »
Jester, do you have a short face as well as an overbite? (As you say you have a deep bite)

As we've discussed, I have similar issues to you - a round and fat face with premature jowling and sagging, marionette lines and nasolabial lines, despite having no visible skin aging.  I too look infinitely better if I pull up my cheeks

In my case it is due to A) small over jaw (vertically and horizontally) and also B) vertically deficient upper jaw, especially in the posterior aspect

What is causing your deep bite?  If it's just the tooth position, then as Notrain has explained, fixing it will help your face (especially if your teeth are wearing down).  The deeper the bite, the more the face 'collapses' and looks more and more fat, as all the tissues get pushed up and together. 

Get a ceph (X ray) and show us

If you don't have enough overbite to warrant jaw surgery then yes, a chin wing will help 'stretch' out the tissues

jesterofmalice

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 01:53:32 AM »
Jester, do you have a short face as well as an overbite? (As you say you have a deep bite)

I'd say slightly short? If I suck my cheeks in ever so slightly, so that a small amount of flesh is between my molars (lengthening my face as if my mouth was slightly open) I look borderline handsome!

As we've discussed, I have similar issues to you - a round and fat face with premature jowling and sagging, marionette lines and nasolabial lines, despite having no visible skin aging.  I too look infinitely better if I pull up my cheeks

In my case it is due to A) small over jaw (vertically and horizontally) and also B) vertically deficient upper jaw, especially in the posterior aspect

What is causing your deep bite?  If it's just the tooth position, then as Notrain has explained, fixing it will help your face (especially if your teeth are wearing down).  The deeper the bite, the more the face 'collapses' and looks more and more fat, as all the tissues get pushed up and together. 

I don't really know what causes the deep bite? Neither of the orthos told me that actual cause; only the treatment necessary.
I think it's a mixture of having a slightly recessed lower jaw (not enouugh to warrent surgery apparently?), and the retroclined teeth at a guess.

Get a ceph (X ray) and show us

That'd be cool. The only time i've been offered X-rays ect, is if I agree to go ahead with the treatment. I don't know how I get all those funky X-rays without making a commitment?

If you don't have enough overbite to warrant jaw surgery then yes, a chin wing will help 'stretch' out the tissues

Still need to look up this 'chin wing' thing.
My initial plan is to go ahead with braces at some point in the future, with the acceptance of the fact that it likely won't actually fix my true issues, and i'll need something more 'cosmetic' to make me happy.

I also want to speak to these people:
http://www.shaping-faces.com/

I'm in bold

jesterofmalice

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 01:44:10 PM »
At the moment i'm often thinking about adult expansion.
From my limited research, various appliances can have the benefit of both straightening the teeth
as well as expanding the jaw giving a wider arch and a broader smile.
Hopefully it would help my overbite, too?

One such appliance is called the DNA appliance?

I'm in the UK, and i'm having trouble finding any ortho's who do adult expansion.

I think deep down I need orthagnathic surgery yto bring my lower jaw forward, but that would be about ?20k I think!
But i'm hoping a broader smile and straight teeth would give me some aesthetic improvement

Can anyone give me some name of people they know of who use appliances on adults in the UK? Ideally the South East

jesterofmalice

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 05:00:50 AM »
aesthetically, from profile. I'm playing with these ideas:

All (poor morphs) look better than the original.
The fact that i'm apparently not a typically severe enough candidate for orthognathic surgery
I assume that there's some surgeries out there that could help my appearance.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 06:52:43 AM by jesterofmalice »

notrain

• Private
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »
Your profile looks class 1.

If what your wrote about your teeth and bite is true, then you just have a class 1 malocclusion without skeletal involvement (i.e. the jaws are properly aligned).

I have been in braces for almost 4 weeks now and I can honestly tell you I wouldn't even get them if I was in your position let alone a surgery because this whole deal is a huge hassle.

You are an average guy. Nothing wrong with wanting to improve your looks, but I don't think you are a candidate for invasive surgery.

My recommendation would be to go to an orthodontist and talk about lifting your deep bite and straightening your teeth.

jesterofmalice

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 01:17:49 PM »

My recommendation would be to go to an orthodontist and talk about lifting your deep bite and straightening your teeth.

I think you're right (even though I would like orthognathic surgery, I just don't think it's realistic)

By 'lifting the bite' what do you mean? How is that accomplished?
When orthos talk of fixing my overbite, I still don't really know what they mean.  I assume they just mean proclining the teeth
so my bottom teeth aren't so hidden behind my top teeth

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 01:45:09 PM »
My overbite was fixed from my first othro from basically flaring my teeth forward to close it and opening up gaps lol. I mean my lower jaw was moved foward a little through an appliance,  but it was all basically tricks to hide the overbite

notrain

• Private
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 02:36:34 PM »
I think you're right (even though I would like orthognathic surgery, I just don't think it's realistic)

By 'lifting the bite' what do you mean? How is that accomplished?
When orthos talk of fixing my overbite, I still don't really know what they mean.  I assume they just mean proclining the teeth
so my bottom teeth aren't so hidden behind my top teeth

it really depends on what's causing the deep bite. If you have a deep bite in the front, and poor or nor contact between molars, those can be extruded and the bite lifted that way. talk to a professional about it.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 11:55:20 PM »
You're wasting your time. Jaw surgery will have zero effect on what you're describing, likewise any orthodontic improvements will be all but imperceptible.

In the end I think you have poor skin quality and carry fat in the cheeks. Perhaps the best solution is to look into a decent skin care regimen (sunscreen, tazoratene), buccal fat removal, liposuction around jawline, and possibly even a ZSO if need be. Just my two cents from taking a quick look.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.