Author Topic: Has anyone ever gotten bone grafts on their cheeks?  (Read 4729 times)

screwsandplates

• Private
Has anyone ever gotten bone grafts on their cheeks?
« on: December 02, 2012, 08:44:10 PM »
i have a depressed midface area and hollowness/bags/circles (Im only 19) under my eyes, and Arnett suggested 10 HA grafts to the mid face. Has anyone ever gotten HA grafts? I heard about fat grafting, but I'm afraid it will look really fake. If so, did you have lasting results? What was the healing process like? Do you like your new look? Are you glad you got it?

CK

• Private
Re: Has anyone ever gotten bone grafts on their cheeks?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »
I had the cheek grafts and I'm not exactly sure how much of a difference they make. Perhaps it depends on the anatomy, or maybe their technique and where they place them? I wouldn't at this point describe them as "augmentations."

velvetbutterfly

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »
i have a depressed midface area and hollowness/bags/circles (Im only 19) under my eyes, and Arnett suggested 10 HA grafts to the mid face. Has anyone ever gotten HA grafts? I heard about fat grafting, but I'm afraid it will look really fake. If so, did you have lasting results? What was the healing process like? Do you like your new look? Are you glad you got it?

Is this hollowness something common with people who need jaw surgery? How do you tell if you have this hollowness?

CK

• Private
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »
Is this hollowness something common with people who need jaw surgery? How do you tell if you have this hollowness?

i have no idea. i guess google hollowness+jaw surgery, or ask about it during a consult..

pekay

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »

I see it A LOT on people with recessed upper jaws, it seems that once the upper jaw is brought forward the hollowness goes away almost completely.
Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 10:19:12 PM »
I see it A LOT on people with recessed upper jaws, it seems that once the upper jaw is brought forward the hollowness goes away almost completely.

depends where the hollowness is. if you are hollow below your eyes, advancing the upper jaw forward might exaggerate the hollowness.

pekay

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 08:11:24 AM »
depends where the hollowness is. if you are hollow below your eyes, advancing the upper jaw forward might exaggerate the hollowness.

I have yet to see that and I'm pretty sure that by now I have looked at hundreds of before/after, care to link a few examples? I'll show you mine if you show me yours (my before/after folder is pretty massive) lol
Chopsticks > Spoons

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 08:28:51 AM »
You gotta look at 3/4 views.

pekay

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 02:15:36 PM »
hydroxylapatite augmentation is a bad idea all around since it leads to uneven absorption later in life.

I have yet to see a person's orbital rims/malar bags/tear through depression look worse after upper jaw advancement if anything it almost always looks better.
Chopsticks > Spoons

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 02:43:32 PM »
I had uneven cheekbones before surgery. Now that I've had HA grafting, it looks much more even. Time will tell if it holds shape but I am presently very pleased.

CK

• Private
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »
hydroxylapatite augmentation is a bad idea all around since it leads to uneven absorption later in life.

maybe this is certain forms of hydroxyappatite? for example AG use heated grafts that fuse with the bone, they don't absorb i dont think. at least i wasnt told they do. and even if it does lead to uneven absorption, it doesn't alter the texture surface of the bone (lumps, holes, crests, etc.) so further augmentation can be applied later if desired.

but im not sure how effective hydroxylapatite is in combination with upper jaw surgery, since moving the jaw forward usually necessitates hydroxylapatite. it is part of the upper jaw surgery, in absence of it the mid-face would look caved in. so the end result might not be a huge change pre-op because it is more designed to maintain features - my guess at least.

also have to distinguish what area cheekbone. if your malar cheekbones are already low, the hydroxyalapatite is unlikely to raise them. just move the cheekbones forward horizontally. likewise it might be difficult to widen the cheekbones if they're already small to begin with. hydroxyalapatite can only be applied to existing bone i believe. if the asymmetry extends from top to bottom on the cheekbone, hydroxyalapatite wont do much. that might require a stronger augmentation, probably grafting or an implant.

technique probably plays an essential role too.