Author Topic: Surgery gone wrong, you decide  (Read 17218 times)

backward lowerjaw

• Private
Surgery gone wrong, you decide
« on: April 02, 2014, 04:33:29 PM »
Having orthognathic jaw surgery is a stressful time, a big decision that cannot be taken lightly, a lot of planning is involved but also more important is finding the right surgeon who will operate to the best of his/her ability.  As you can see this isn't something to be taken lightly, but surely if this is done on the NHS then this can't go wrong? Can it? Orthognathic surgery is out of your control. Leaving your life in somebody else's hands is a worry but rest assured you know they are the experts and you will be safe and very likely be relieved of these symptoms.  Not worth thinking about but the worst thing that could possibly go wrong would be to wake up from surgery and knowing there has been a mistake, but how can this be?  They are the experts not you. They have spent many years studying the anatomy, the face the structure of the jaws. Well you also know your own body and you know if something is right or not, this is something that cannot be taught, it's natural it is life.

How about being trapped in your own body with your tongue so cramped that you are struggling to talk? Everybody has a right to free speech, well maybe think again. Your jaws being in the wrong position and trapped near your throat you are struggling to breathe? Not a nice thought.  Tongue muscles not adapting to the limited space which in turn failing your facial muscles and not being able to express yourself? Yes these are all linked.  Rest assured if this did by any small unlikely event happened, speaking to the surgeon will see these problems, at the end of the day this is your health, this is the NHS you are number one priority.  The worst thing that could possibly go wrong would be if these so called experts telling you everything is ok, this is all in your head.  I'm pretty confident if this happened to me or anyone you'd go bat hell crazy! Knowing they are wrong and you are right. How could you prove this?  The worst possible thing would be for a maxillofacial surgeon to get the measurements completely wrong and your lower jaw being trapped in a bite that is unnatural. Losing the ability to express yourself, not being able to talk, not being able to breathe within your own body, sounds like a horror film, could be a horror film.

Trying to bring your lower jaw forward into the position it should be only to be told by everybody you know and love  "why are you sticking your jaw out?" If this happened would this put you into deep hole of depression? Not wanting to eat? Not wanting to leave the house? To be left alone? Maybe looking for answers on your laptop week in and week out and starting to go crazy. This sounds like every patients nightmare.  Well this is what happened to me, and still is.

Two months later my tongue and my jaw has finally tried to get into the position it wanted to be. Being able to speak, being able to express yourself and being able to prove that this was not in your head after all. Being told for the first time after months from a close friend that this does not look right, finally realising you were right and they were wrong.   Relief, having a weight lifted, being able to finally find a bit of hope, these are only words and cannot say the true emotional state I am feeling.

Today I have taken a trip from Coventry to Manchester for a second opinion, anybody who knows the M6 will know this is no quick drive, but it will be worth once the surgeon can finally see what  I see and relieve me of the stress, pain and depression.  To open his eyes and see what is in front of him.  Well imagine my despair when I have been passed over as another time waster, ?150 down and a tank full of petrol wasted and a long miserable drive home, not knowing what to do next, knowing this is not in my head?

I am now sitting in my room depressed, unsure of life and looking for a way out.  A way out of my body, not to die but to be the person my body should be, yet I am being deprived of this, who give's the right to stop you from being who you are mentally and physically? Well I guess a maxillofacial surgeon that's who.

Where do I go from here I don't know, what I do know is my upper jaw should have been moved a further 7-8mm forward, but I'm no expert, I'm just the person within this trapped body.

Judge for yourself, just like the maxillofacial surgeon.

http://youtu.be/zwMMswf7T3s
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 06:02:04 PM by backward lowerjaw »

backward lowerjaw

• Private
Re: Surgery gone wrong, you decide
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:05:42 PM »

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 11:24:16 PM »
No I'm not living with it, this need fixing, I've got a consultation next week with Dr Birbe in Barcelona, Henri Thuau and Paul Johnson see what they say.  Just a heads up for anybody who wants to see Brian Musgrove, don't waste your time he was the one I saw today and said there's no problem and to think he's a plastic surgeon, good grief, I wouldn't let him clip my toe nails!

overbiter

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 01:09:22 PM »
Mate, you're cracking me up with that Raggy Dolls theme. Who are you now, Sad Sac? I thought you had a different username before, not backward lowerjaw. You want both jaws moved forward don't you, not just the lower. I think the problem you are getting with the surgeons, is that now you don't have the underbite they think everything is fine. You were expecting a better cosmetic result with more ante face, but they just shifted your upper jaw a few millimetres to correct the bite. Just tell Birbe you want an ante face, and if you're really desperate I suppose you could talk to Sailer.

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 02:26:54 PM »
Haha sad sac, I think they want me to look like him,  that's the thing overbiter I don't know if both jaws need to be advance, how do I know? Say if I had both advancde what if the lower jaw wants to come forward like it does now? Or what if I had just the upper advanced and left with an overbite? I'm so confused.   I do know the position I am in cannot be right as when I close the jaw the disks are grinding, they have messed with my head. How would I know if both needed advancing? I will hopefully get some x rays tomorrow from a private hospital and send these over to Dr Hang to look at, he looks at the tmj disk, I will see Dr Birbe on Tuesday and Henri Thuau on Wednesday. One thing I do know is the upper needs advancing.

overbiter

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 04:19:20 PM »
Barcelona on a tuesday, London on a wednesday, you're jet setting around the world aren't you. If you want a truly aesthetic jawline I would say you need both jaws advanced. They are ok now, just not ideal. I think Birbe should be able to sort you out.

pekay

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 09:32:33 AM »
Because I'm a secret Birbe promoter lol. Seriously though, he just seems like a knowledgeable chap.

Ante face doesn't look horrible at all, only extremes of it do. Most good looking people have it to a certain extent. Anyone with jaws the correct size will have a slight ante face. That's what a class I jaw is.

I do agree with you that natural ante-faces are attractive but surgically enhanced ones look awful.
Chopsticks > Spoons

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 04:01:45 AM »
I've been trying to figure out what an ante face is but google wasn't very helpful. Would anyone mind linking to some pictures?

notrain

• Private
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 05:22:09 AM »
Anyone with jaws the correct size will have a slight ante face. That's what a class I jaw is.

Uhm, no. "Class I" simply means that the apical bases are in a good relationship with each other.

retrognathic, orthognathic and prognathic profiles can all have class I jaws. Having a class I jaw also doesn't mean that you are automatically attractive. 85% of the population has a class I jaw.

@GregorSamsa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K62MdksqAys

overbiter

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 05:33:44 PM »
Uhm, no. "Class I" simply means that the apical bases are in a good relationship with each other.

retrognathic, orthognathic and prognathic profiles can all have class I jaws. Having a class I jaw also doesn't mean that you are automatically attractive. 85% of the population has a class I jaw.

@GregorSamsa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K62MdksqAys

You're confusing dental and skeletal class I's.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »
backward lower jaw, although I can't see any of your vids the links don't work for me, just reading what you've posted makes me think your in a similar situation to me. I'm constantly posturing my lower jaw forward since for me to bite or have my mouth closed like it should be my jaw joint is under a lot of pressure. It also effects my speech which sucks, I was learning Chinese and now I get frustrated because making the sounds is very difficult with my jaws in their current position. I know what it is like to wake up from jaw surgery and know that it hasn't gone right and yet have to listen to the surgeon talk s**t about how great it went to everyone, how good I look etc. This is really hard to live with on my mind 24/7 for the last year wondering how I'm going to get it put right.
These surgeons don't seem to consider the position of the mandible! Don't they know it moves

JawKid7

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 10:35:25 AM »
I'm not gonna lie, reading this post gave me the chills. Did you get your jaw fixed in the end? mind if I ask who your surgeon was? I'm having surgery under the Nhs in summer so it's not long away
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 03:03:20 PM »
It's a long process, I've had a bite orthotic in place for the past 7 months to posture my lower jaw in the correct position.  It's taking longer than it normally would due to the problems from the surgery. Neck pain, nerve pain. I don't know if I ever will be relieved of this pain, I didn't have any of these symptoms before the jaw surgery.  I will be having fixed braces in the next 4 weeks to prepare for surgery which will be in the next few months.

Who is the surgeon who will be performing your surgery and I will tell you if it is the same surgeon?  You can't turn back the clock but looking back I should have went with my gut instinct and not went ahead with him I had no end of problems with the orthodontist also who didn't know what he was doing.

JawKid7

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 04:52:07 PM »
it sucks that you have to go through the surgery again but good luck. Mr Nayeem Ali is the surgeon who will correct my jaw
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 03:37:04 PM »
you're good jawkid it wasn't him, good luck.