Author Topic: AcceleDent?  (Read 2436 times)

BeatTheseGenes

AcceleDent?
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:30:43 PM »
Anyone use AcceleDent in their treatment? My prospective ortho offers it, would it be worth looking into? I'm looking into some form of accelerated treatment, either the Damon System or AcceleDent. My pocketbook doesn't have the deepness for both, so I gotta choose.

Which would be a better investment? A set of Damon Clear, or standard braces with AcceleDent?

PloskoPlus

Re: AcceleDent?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:16:28 PM »
I don't think there is much difference between sell ligating braces and traditional ones.  The self ligating ones take up less tooth area, so they may effect the tooth enamel less, but are thicker, so irritate the lips and cheeks more.  For the record I have self ligating braces, but clear brackets only on the top 6 teeth.  With a class 3, you can't see my top teeth much anyway, at least not preop.  My ortho also uses Suresmile. That may make the most difference when it comes to precision and speed of moving teeth (if it works as advertised), and it's applicable to all brackets.  You may also consider lingual braces.  But they are typically very expensive, slower to move teeth, hard on the tongue, and surgeons tend to dislike them. My surgeon reckons they are not precise enough.

BeatTheseGenes

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »
Yeah no, I'm not doing lingual braces. More trouble than they're worth, it seems. :P Plus with them wouldn't you need TADs for post-surgery jaw-securing? Yeah, not really interested in even more holes in my jaw bones.

I'm definitely getting self-litigating though, if not for treatment time then just for the fact that getting rid of elastics makes the clear brackets STAY clear for the whole time between appointments. Back when I had ceramic braces with clear elastics, even if you religiously kept your mouth clean, they'd still yellow by the next appointment. With self litigating, nothing to yellow. ;D

So I'm looking up SureSmile. Is it like...wire bending software? This is a bit confusing...

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 06:03:03 PM »
Good points about self ligating braces. Never knew that elastics were such a chore.  Bear in mind also that the self ligating braces are thicker and in combination with clear braces (ceramic) will probably chafe more. Although to be honest I haven't felt that to be the case. Probably because my upper arch is being decompensated by pulling it back in ie further away from the lips, while the lower is moved closer to the lips.

Sure smile is planning software.  Supposedly cuts down on  treatment time and frequency.  I see my ortho  about once every 2 months.

BeatTheseGenes

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 08:20:56 PM »
Yeah, they really are a pain. I tried both clear and white, and they both were yellowing-magnets. Elastics suck, unless you own it and go for colored ones with regular brackets. But TBH that's more for kids who want colorful things. Once you're an adult you tend to wanna keep your ortho a lot more discreet, hence smaller brackets like SL and clear brackets.

I'm not sure what you mean by them being thicker, though. Damon brackets seem smaller than regular brackets in all three dimensions. Unless you are using a different self-litigating system? Could you elaborate?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:15:37 AM by BeatTheseGenes »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 05:27:28 AM »
Yeah, they really are a pain. I tried both clear and white, and they both were yellowing-magnets. Elastics suck, unless you own it and go for colored ones with regular brackets. But TBH that's more for kids who want colorful things. Once you're an adult you tend to wanna keep your ortho a lot more discreet, hence smaller brackets like SL and clear brackets.

I'm not sure what you mean by them being thicker, though. Damon brackets seem smaller than regular brackets in all three dimensions. Unless you are using a different self-litigating system? Could you elaborate?

To be honest, I'm not sure.  All I know is that they look smaller area-wise and thicker than normal braces.  Perhaps the latter is just an illusion caused by the former.