Author Topic: Underbite before and after  (Read 7511 times)

sydneysurgery

Underbite before and after
« on: April 13, 2014, 04:03:31 AM »
Hey guys, I'm very glad to say that my surgery went really well. The surgeon said my teeth were in such i good position that he removed the splint immediately after surgery. This means that i am already on a puree diet, so they don't expect me to lose any weight. I've had no pain at all so far, but a bit of swelling which seems to have reduced over night. I can open my mouth about 1 finger, and have almost no numbness except for a spot below my right lower lip. Very happy with the results so far, i can already breathe through my nose better than ever. My movements were bottom forward 5mm, top back 5 mm and up to get rid of gummy smile. Ill put up some photos when i get home tomorrow. I came into the surgery having read so many stories about tough recoveries, both mentally and physically, so an relieved its been so smooth so far. Every case is different, so don't pay too much attention to all the horror stories.

I couldn't find any before photos from the side, as I would purposely avoid them.  The post op photos are 24 hours after surgery

[attachment deleted by admin]

petebite

Re: Underbite before and after
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 05:19:01 AM »
Looks like a good result so far, congratulations!

Who was your surgeon? I am also in sydney with an underbite. Did you have upper, lower or both jaws operated on?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:30:48 AM by petebite »

petebite

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 05:32:50 AM »
Sorry - just saw that you mentioned your movements in the original post. Was that lower jaw back 5mm and upper forward 5mm?

sydneysurgery

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 05:42:52 AM »
My surgeon was Dr Conway at Westmead. I highly recommend him, he seemed extremely competent! Yeah both jaws were worked on, lower 5 mm back, and upper 5mm forward.

sydneysurgery

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 06:03:56 AM »
48 hours...

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »
You look hardly swollen.

BeatTheseGenes

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 06:31:08 PM »
Damn you must've gotten some good corticosteroids. You have so little swelling.

sydneysurgery

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 06:46:01 PM »
yeah the surgeons seemed pretty surprised with the lack of swelling too. I had no swelling at all after my wisdom teeth surgery either, just lucky I guess. Feeling pretty tired today though..

sydneysurgery

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 09:51:52 PM »
I haven't been on here for ages, but thought I'd sign off with a final picture. I think I was really lucky with my recovery; the only only difficult bit was the lack of solid foods for a month. Although even that wasn't THAT bad. I generally got minced meat or butter chicken, blended up, with rice. That with alot of smoothies, etc meant I didn't lose that much weight at all. For those who are having any doubts due to the horror stories you read, ignore them. At this stage I forget I ever had an underbite, despite only being 8 months ago.

terry947

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »
awesome! Glad everything went ok!

As for long term effects, do you have any tmj pain, numbness or any of that kind of stuff?

sydneysurgery

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 11:05:23 PM »
I can honestly say, that apart from the first week I had no pain at all. Even that was bearable though, just waking up in the middle of the night a bit sore. I had a tiny bit of numbness on my chin for a few months, but that's all cleared up now. I've got my final check up with my surgeon in 2 weeks, and then the journey is finally over. It's surreal to think where I was just a year ago.

Balanced

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 05:32:59 AM »
Great result, Congrats :-)

brewer44

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 08:01:31 AM »
Congrats! Your results are stellar.