Author Topic: mandibular distraction osteogenesis  (Read 18231 times)

sean89

Re: mandibular distraction osteogenesis
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 06:34:55 PM »
Are you sure that this actually widens jaw and not only lengthens in similar manner as BSSO?

Yes, widening is possible too.

terry947

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 08:17:58 PM »
It does. Your chin widens therefore the jaw appears wider. But u risk losing your lower incisors. Not sure if true just something I read here.

CookieMonster

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 06:59:11 AM »
I had mandibular distraction - 8mm (with SARPE - also 8 mm). My mouth was the size of a kid's mouth. Very narrow in general.

Seemed like a common procedure to my ortho and surgeon (I'm from Belgium).

It does widen the jaw/chin a little bit. I didn't need that kind of cosmetic change because I already had a fairly strong chin to begin with (I'm a woman) but that don't bother me too much.

Asymmetry is another story... 
Sorry if my explanations are unclear but sometimes I struggle with english. I'm gonna do my best to be understood.

My surgeon didn't made the cut right in the middle (he did for Sarpe but apparently, my lower teeth were too tight) but between the 42 and 41 (instead of 41 and 31).
So after all was done and healed, I noticed that the right side of my lower jaw was more defined and the left side.
Long story short, BSSO enhanced that difference big time.

But my main concern today is that my 4 front lower teeth are subject to bone and gum loss. I had perfectly fine gum level before that...

The bright side is that I now have perfect dental arch and enough room for my tongue. My orthondontic treatment before jaw surgery was pretty short, teeth moved fast.

terry947

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 08:05:40 PM »
wow cool!

How wide was your mandibular arch pre-surgery? (intermolar width between 36-46)

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 10:00:30 PM »
how long does the sarpe, mandibular widening take? That is how long was the apparatus in your lower jaw and upper jaw before it could taken out and braces reapplied?  And who was your surgeon?

CookieMonster

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 05:15:59 AM »
Terry I don't know about the measurements at all  :-\ I can try to post pictures of my molds pre op and now this weekend.

Lazlo, i my surgeon was Dr. Darche. No big name, "just" a surgeon in my town recommanded by my ortho.
For the time thing, my devices were actived twice a day. 1/4 mm each time so 16 days to reach 8 mm.

After that, 5 months (of hell) with the devices to allow the bones to heal and then devices out, braces in (5 minutes of freedow in-between - yay).

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 05:49:30 AM »
But my main concern today is that my 4 front lower teeth are subject to bone and gum loss. I had perfectly fine gum level before that...

To what extent?

CookieMonster

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 06:06:42 AM »
To the extend that I certainly need gum graft (4 mm I would say - and some serious thickening procedure) - need to wait for my consult with the periodontist to be sure.

My bone there is also really thin - It's almost like I could feel the difference between my "old bone" and the new one created after Sarpe and Sarme.

My upper teeth are kinda fine, maybe 1 or 2 mm gum loss on the incisors.

On another note, I started using a product called Gengigel - a gum gel containing Hyaluronic Acid. I though that couldn't hurt, at worse I would have spent 13 € for nothing... Well, I was skeptical but I do see a little difference.
My gum won't grow back of course but it seems fuller and healtier. Maybe the effect will cease if I stop using the stuff but so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

CookieMonster

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 02:40:21 AM »
The thing is that I don't know if I have something to show you guys cause I'm a Ninja master when it comes to avoid pictures.
But I'm gonna look this weekend if I find something in my hard disk.

I'm very surprised that Sarme seems to be such an uncommon procedure though.