Author Topic: Infraorbital Rim Augmentation / 'Squint' look  (Read 44862 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Infraorbital Rim Augmentation / 'Squint' look
« on: April 24, 2014, 08:56:52 PM »
Definitely one of my stupider posts here, but I was talking to some people about scleral show lately and it had me wondering about what was achievable with infraorbital rim augmentation.

Particularly, through a combination of bone grafting and fat transfers would it be possible to recreate the look I get when lightly squinting? It makes under my eyes have a bit more volume, eyes vertically narrower, and generally looks good. Seems like I wouldn't need much to achieve it, but I don't know if implants or anything else can create that 'look'.

Perhaps the use of some filler or fat transfer a la 'love band surgery' plus a modest amount of augmentation to make the eyes narrower would work.

01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

dovidiostore

• Private
Re: Infraorbital Rim Augmentation / 'Squint' look
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 09:41:19 PM »
Why don't you just squint more habitually?

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 01:21:33 AM »

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 01:43:11 AM »

This is a serious question.

Unfortunately walking around squinting is not my first choice. If I could achieve this look surgically I'd prefer that.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 02:34:17 AM »
I don't recommend getting a fat transfer. Some reputable surgeons say that you can experience adverse effects after 5-10 years and it seems like a very difficult thing to get right in the first place judging by all the people with bad results I've seen. If the problem is the lack of bone support then any attempt to correct it without addressing the root of the problem seems like a bad idea to me.

I've looked into the matter myself and it seems that almost all surgeons prefer silicone implants. It's possible that Arnett and Gunson do it using HA grafts but I can't find anyone else that does.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 02:45:54 AM »
I don't recommend getting a fat transfer. Some reputable surgeons say that you can experience adverse effects after 5-10 years and it seems like a very difficult thing to get right in the first place judging by all the people with bad results I've seen. If the problem is the lack of bone support then any attempt to correct it without addressing the root of the problem seems like a bad idea to me.

I've looked into the matter myself and it seems that almost all surgeons prefer silicone implants. It's possible that Arnett and Gunson do it using HA grafts but I can't find anyone else that does.

That is what I've wondered myself. If HA or bone grafting could be used as an alternative to implants.

For all the maxfac surgeons who claim to be using the stuff I'm constantly amazed by how few results are out there. I've not really seen a single case which showed what augmentation with HA paste can do.

earl25

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 06:52:45 AM »
depends on how bad your structure is. if its more than a few mm recessed your only option for real improvement is implants of a lefort ii which most docs wont do

MrRochester

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »
One option is a canthopexy with an enduragen or hard palate graft for support. This video explains

Detailed Surgery for Scleral Show but Advising Postponement for Young Lady

Unfortunately, the raise of the lower lid isn't even and you'll wind up looking like you've had work done. Also, post-surgical inflammation lasts a very long time and sometimes never goes away at all so that the surgery needs to be reversed. I've consulted with Prasad myself in person and it didn't seem worth it to me.

I'm probably going to get orbital decompression which should improve my lower lid retraction (which is what causes scleral show).

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 04:30:25 PM »
depends on how bad your structure is. if its more than a few mm recessed your only option for real improvement is implants of a lefort ii which most docs wont do
Earl,

How much scleral show do you have?

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 01:37:08 AM »

I don't have scleral show at all. I just would like to have slightly narrower eyes with a bit of the puffiness underneath them. I figure that'd make things easier, no?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 02:26:23 AM »
One option is a canthopexy with an enduragen or hard palate graft for support. This video explains

Detailed Surgery for Scleral Show but Advising Postponement for Young Lady

Unfortunately, the raise of the lower lid isn't even and you'll wind up looking like you've had work done. Also, post-surgical inflammation lasts a very long time and sometimes never goes away at all so that the surgery needs to be reversed. I've consulted with Prasad myself in person and it didn't seem worth it to me.

I'm probably going to get orbital decompression which should improve my lower lid retraction (which is what causes scleral show).

In other words, it's all about the bones.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 03:27:46 PM »
Has anyone seen any before/after pictures from Arnett and Gunson where they did infraortibal rim augmentation?

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 04:58:04 PM »
Has anyone seen any before/after pictures from Arnett and Gunson where they did infraortibal rim augmentation?

Antbee got a great overall result:  http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php/topic,303.75.html

sean89

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 05:43:40 PM »

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 10:52:38 AM »
Antbee got a great overall result:  http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php/topic,303.75.html

Meh she didn't look bad to begin with. I'm talking about eye bags due to negative vector cheeks and other bulls**t.