Author Topic: Advice? *pics*. Considering Zarrinbal...  (Read 10636 times)

myjawplease

Advice? *pics*. Considering Zarrinbal...
« on: April 28, 2014, 02:58:42 AM »
According to cephalogram was told I have a Class II malocclusion by Mommaerts.
He suggested bimax.
I am aware this is not a severe case so that's why I'm not sure about it. But it might be good for the long road?
If not that, then could simply a sliding genio + HA or small implants to my jaws be a better solution? I don't know. I did have several teeth extracted as a result of orthodontics. Nose has problems also.
I'm interested in Zarrinbal but haven't gotten reply back since his initial response..
Someone enlighten me please...
PICS ATTACHED

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

myjawplease

Re: Advice? *pics*. Considering Zarrinbal...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:01:35 AM »
By the way does anyone know how much a consult + plan workup by Gunson is? I live in CA but don't think I could afford him for surgery, would like to get his opinion at least though...
Any other affordable Drs anyone would recommend? I know MM seems to have fallen out of favor.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:09:47 AM »
Please stay away from Maurice Mommaerts, he's an unethical butcher. You're much too pretty to risk going anywhere near him.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:39:05 AM »
What concerns do you have? Looks? Functional issues?

LoveofScotch

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:00:44 AM »
A new patient consultation with Gunson is $550.00 plus the cost of impressions (they're cheep, like $50.00). Ideally, they want the impressions made prior to the appointment, and then you bring them with you.

Do you have insurance?

myjawplease

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 12:04:43 PM »
I have Anthem blue cross but my deductible is high and I'm not sure what they would cover, if anything, so I was considering going to Europe.

I have ruled out Mommaerts but I am just repeating his observations. "My class II malocclusion has been well compensated for and I have good interdigitation. A bimax would take care of my pre jowls".

This would be 90% for aesthetic reasons, I have had mid face issues for awhile, I had buccal fat removal to lessen the problem but it made my face sag a bit. Like I said I am not sure I should go the maxfax route or just do a sliding genio (I think the problem may be more my recessed jaw than chin though?) and jaw implants but also am not crazy about the idea of jaw implants. I have a very narrow airway and overbite. I want to fix my recessed jaw area and chin which is making my cheek skin and fat sag, which will get worse as I age.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »
I'm not saying you should or shouldn't go to Europe, if you choose to have surgery, but I'm not sure it would make sense to travel abroad from a cost perspective. Obviously, this all depends on what your insurance will cover, if anything. I would start there.

Does your plan exclude orthognathic surgery? If it's included in your plan, do you meet the necessary requirements? (Requirements vary by plan, but you often need to meet specific measurements and potentially have functional issues, too.) Even though you have a high-deductible health plan (HDHP), I think the maximum your deductible can be is something like $6,350 (individual), and $12,700 (family). Unfortunately, that will not get you far traveling elsewhere. Prices may potentially be less elsewhere, but when you factor in the cost of braces, surgery, and travel (this will obviously be a lot); I just don't see how that's cost effective. Not to mention, if something goes wrong, it's both expensive and a pain in the ass, to find a flight to Europe in a pinch.

Good luck with everything!

myjawplease

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 01:10:13 PM »
I've already had braces and teeth extracted, etc. My bite is fine despite the overbite which isn't major. Like I said this is mainly an aesthetic surgery but I am expecting to get some breathing improvement. I don't believe my insurance will cover much if anything. I have family in Europe and many flight points so traveling is not a big deal. Surgery is also much less expensive there.

I mainly made this thread to get advice on my photos and what I should do surgery-wise rather than the logistics of traveling.  I keep hearing about this chin wing procedure and wonder if i am a candidate for that as well..

myjawplease

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 01:11:44 PM »
Btw, I was told by MM that the bimax wouldn't require any orthodontic treatment like braces etc.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »
Btw, I was told by MM that the bimax wouldn't require any orthodontic treatment like braces etc.

You'd still need braces for the surgery even if your teeth are in the correct position now.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 01:35:47 PM »
You'd still need braces for the surgery even if your teeth are in the correct position now.

Cant they just use anchors, think thats what they are, because thats what they use with invisalign patients? Just the small screws are used.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 01:40:04 PM »
MM probably uses Blu Tack.

MrRochester

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 02:12:46 PM »
I saw Zarrinbal in Berlin and then when I tried to schedule my actual surgery date from back in America, it was completely impossible. They claimed they couldn't find me in the system and I had to send an email. The emails would take two weeks to be responded to and when I did get a response, it wasn't with a surgery date like I requested. I think it's simply unfeasible to have surgery with Zarrinbal as an American based on my experience. I wasted 250? getting the X-rays he wanted.

I had sliding genioplasty with Dr. Jamali in NYC. I am very happy with results. I would have vastly preferred to get a chin wing with Zarrinbal (I think I'm the one who first started mentioning his name here and on other English sites - he's had a good reputation on German sites for a while), but what I got was still an improvement. The surgery itself only cost me $4500. Maybe he's worth considering.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 02:45:30 PM »
I was told that I would have to keep the braces on or get them put back on again if I wanted another surgery. How do they stabilitize the bite and handle stuff like elastics after the surgery without braces?

I think they do something like that with a bunch of screws

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 03:02:45 PM »
That looks worse than having braces on.