Author Topic: Double jaw surgery only solution to fix overbite?  (Read 5647 times)

katie

Double jaw surgery only solution to fix overbite?
« on: May 02, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »
I am  impressed with the level of knowledge on this site so would be grateful for opinions regarding my jaw issue. I have a class 2 malocclusion, clicking in the right jaw but never experienced TMJ pain. I have no problem breathing through my nose , so from a functional point of view my biggest issue is regarding the strain when I close my mouth. I made an appointment to discuss my options, I was told my only option was surgery with braces, double jaw surgery was recommended with impaction and a CCW rotation of the upper jaw and a CW rotation of the lower. I had hoped that if surgery was my only option that surgery on the upper jaw would only be necessary and that the lower jaw would auto rotate. Why is it less common for those of class 2 to have surgery on just the one jaw? I have attached some pics that show my issue.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:50:04 PM by katie »

PloskoPlus

Re: Double jaw surgery only solution to fix overbite?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 03:58:21 PM »
I am  impressed with the level of knowledge on this site so would be grateful for opinions regarding my jaw issue. I have a class 2 malocclusion, clicking in the right jaw but never experienced TMJ pain. I have no problem breathing through my nose , so from a functional point of view my biggest issue is regarding the strain when I close my mouth. I made an appointment to discuss my options, I was told my only option was surgery with braces, double jaw surgery was recommended with impaction and a CCW rotation of the upper jaw and a CW rotation of the lower. I had hoped that if surgery was my only option that surgery on the upper jaw would only be necessary and that the lower jaw would auto rotate. Why is it less common for those of class 2 to have surgery on just the one jaw? I have attached some pics that show my issue. https://clarec.imgur.com/all/

How is it possible for jaws to rotate in opposite directions?  Surely you meant CCW for both.  Your lower jaw looks smallish.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 04:56:03 PM »
Why is it less common for those of class 2 to have surgery on just the one jaw? I have attached some pics that show my issue. https://clarec.imgur.com/all/

you have long face syndrome which means your upper jaw grew too far down wards.

cure: impaction of maxilla

in addition to that, your lower jaw is also short.

cure: bsso of mandible

simply impacting the upper jaw and allow for the mandible to auto rotate upwards would not fix the sagittal discrepancy.

we had a girl here recently who had exactly your issue and she was treated with impaction and genioplasty. the surgeon left her with a class 2 skeletal base after surgery and a boxy chin. you don't want that.

her name was chiala something, i don't remember.

you need bimax.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 08:04:05 PM »
I concur with notrain. 

BTW, you have a good foundation.  Jaw surgery can be very worthwhile aesthetically in your case.  And then there are the functional benefits! (Must not forget those!  Disclaimer: since I have no functional issues, and probably never will given my ripe old age (OK, maybe tooth wear down the line), I completely forget about this aspect.  I'm doing this for aesthetics.)

Good luck.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 10:35:01 AM »
you proved my point. look at that girl's profile, she is still class 2 with a retruded lower jaw.

yes, her VME was fixed but she had two issues that needed fixing, not just one.