Author Topic: Regret double jaw surgery and genie for open bite and retrognathia  (Read 19066 times)

some1afterall

Re: Regret double jaw surgery and genie for open bite and retrognathia
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2018, 06:04:41 PM »
I’m not bothered  by the photo morphing if anyone cares.

And btw, my chin is quite boxy from frontal view when looking straight on.

I don’t know... I’m going to wait until I get Gunson’s Opinion.

I’m not terribly bothered by my appearance, I wish the aesthetic results were better, but I’m starting to accept it. I don’t want to drop >20k and go through another surgery unless it will make a huge improvement.

some1afterall

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2018, 06:08:03 PM »
Here is the type of osteotomy that’s been proposed. You can choose how narrow or wide of a strip you take out.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2018, 07:30:40 PM »
I see your points, and I did consider this a risk before doing the morph.  To show someone an 'ideal' outcome that isn't currently attainable is frustrating.  But, look at the flip side:  to understand the problem is also to not make the mistake of looking for problems where there aren't any (or are minimal).  This was my goal here and I can see why there'd be a bit of backlash.  I am disheartened by people who undergo surgeries that were unnecessary.

This is a jaw surgery forum, and I have gotten jaw surgery and been through all that.  I am noticing a pattern between the OP's case and my own, where I started looking into additional procedures that would help - and almost went through with it.  In retrospect, I think I made the right choice.  I am trying to pass on that knowledge.

I think, despite the frustration, it's worth it to communicate this...  I do apologize if you don't see it this way.

It's just that she was not citing distress with her eye area or the thin face and after calling attention to those areas, you said the filler 'fix' was essentially hopeless to pursue.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2018, 07:32:48 PM »
Here is the type of osteotomy that’s been proposed. You can choose how narrow or wide of a strip you take out.

That's not the type I'm suggesting but it's your choice and your face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2018, 07:52:56 PM »
I’m not bothered  by the photo morphing if anyone cares.

And btw, my chin is quite boxy from frontal view when looking straight on.

I don’t know... I’m going to wait until I get Gunson’s Opinion.

I’m not terribly bothered by my appearance, I wish the aesthetic results were better, but I’m starting to accept it. I don’t want to drop >20k and go through another surgery unless it will make a huge improvement.

Chin looks narrow to me and IMO contributes to the 'gaunt' look and will look more narrow and hence longer with that type of surgery. But if YOU think it looks 'boxy' or too wide, it's the same thing as telling the surgeon you WANT it to be narrower. IDK. Sometimes people just have to see on their face (after the surgery) WHAT their request actually looks like for them to realize their request lacked good aesthetic sensibility. So if it looks bad afterwards or you don't like it, very easy for the surgeon to tell you; 'Well, this is the surgery we do when a patient thinks their chin is too WIDE or boxy. 

girl

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2018, 08:02:02 PM »
Well sounds like I'm digging a deeper hole with my opinions on this board.  I think she looks good, perfectly normal, and doesn't need anything tbh.  I made this clear I felt like.  Still, 'good' is a relative sentiment. Many will still look for problems or be more critical of themselves, especially after a change like jaw surgery.

To have the mentality that there HAS to be a solution now I think is a mistake many people on this board are prone to.  I have done a massive amount of research on soft tissue fillers of all kinds, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who is very critical of themselves.  It is risky regardless of the permanence of the procedure.  If you study aging and volume loss, you will understand that a targeted approach to fillers is flawed.  Many people end up looking slightly unnatural and regret it over time.

I do think an ideal solution to soft tissue regeneration is on the horizon - so to say that my stance is: 'nothing to be done about it' also isn't totally accurate.  Anyway, not trying to be overly aggressive, I honestly just want to get the information I've learned out there so people don't do things they'd regret!

It's not your beliefs I was picking at. It was the "tissue loss" terminology that implied some kind of severe aesthetic problem, and also the fact you pointed out a bunch of flaws (that would make a self-conscious person feel worse) and later said these were unfixable by modern means.

Aside from that, a targeted approach to fillers isn't any more flawed than not doing any fillers. Because it will still go away unevenly.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2018, 08:15:04 PM »
It's not your beliefs I was picking at. It was the "tissue loss" terminology that implied some kind of severe aesthetic problem, and also the fact you pointed out a bunch of flaws (that would make a self-conscious person feel worse) and later said these were unfixable by modern means.

Aside from that, a targeted approach to fillers isn't any more flawed than not doing any fillers. Because it will still go away unevenly.

I had similar response. But just want to say to Ken it's not a 'moderation' directive against pointing out other stuff if he wants to do that. Just sayin' I found it weird to suggest a correction that he felt could not be achieved.

jusken

• Private
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2018, 08:43:53 PM »

I would take issue with this.  While there is definitely a bit of unevenness in aging, it's not the same as adding it back by eye-balling it.  Natural unevenness will always look better than filler in the wrong amounts/places.  This is a highly oversimplified way of looking at it.  Even working on a 3D model with an undo button would be difficult - let alone working with an unpredictable solution through a syringe (in the case of fat, can grow, resorb and change post surgery).

To the both of you:

I understand what you guys are saying, and while I didn't feel like I was being harsh (nor do I think my wording has reflected that tone), perhaps I misjudged it.  I suppose my outlook is: not every problem with how we look needs to be fixed.  The OP has a great feminine facial shape and features.  I believe most surgical recommendations should be for deformities, and generally aren't worth the risk for minor flaws as I see them in this case.  Nonetheless, the only minor flaws I see are soft tissue related. 

In other words OP, I would recommend against a chin procedure...

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2018, 09:46:58 PM »
I would take issue with this.  While there is definitely a bit of unevenness in aging, it's not the same as adding it back by eye-balling it.  Natural unevenness will always look better than filler in the wrong amounts/places.  This is a highly oversimplified way of looking at it.  Even working on a 3D model with an undo button would be difficult - let alone working with an unpredictable solution through a syringe (in the case of fat, can grow, resorb and change post surgery).

To the both of you:

I understand what you guys are saying, and while I didn't feel like I was being harsh (nor do I think my wording has reflected that tone), perhaps I misjudged it.  I suppose my outlook is: not every problem with how we look needs to be fixed.  The OP has a great feminine facial shape and features.  I believe most surgical recommendations should be for deformities, and generally aren't worth the risk for minor flaws as I see them in this case.  Nonetheless, the only minor flaws I see are soft tissue related. 

In other words OP, I would recommend against a chin procedure...

I didn't think you were 'harsh'. I just found the aesthetic assessment with no 'solution' weird.