Author Topic: Double Jaw Surgery Relapse  (Read 51160 times)

elysium87

Double Jaw Surgery Relapse
« on: May 06, 2014, 11:22:24 AM »
I had double jaw surgery in September 2009. My bottom jaw was moved backwards 6mm and the top jaw was moved forwards 3mm. The result was fantastic. Fast forward 5 years and my bite has now almost completely relapsed to the pre op state (well not entirely). I am now in a situation where my top teeth clash directly on the bottom teeth. I am feeling upset, angry and down about how this has happened to me. I feel that I wore braces for 4 years, attended yearly maxillofacial clinics on an annual basis, all the effort and dedication for nothing. To be exactly in the same position as I was before all of this started.

The thing is, I was not made aware of the risk of relapse at any point during the decade for which I was admitted to the maxillofacial clinic. Not one time. It was never mentioned to me that this could happen. In the last few months I have been doing some basic research and it seems that relapse is a fairly common issue. I am therefore posting on these forums to attempt to ascertain the long term prognosis of these procedures by engaging fellow members who have had the same or similar surgeries.

I am currently awaiting a review appointment at the hospital where I had the surgery, by the surgeon who performed the procedure. Have other members experienced such relapses? My top retainer no longer fits so I can say that my teeth have moved some what, although the bottom retainer fits pretty good. I understand that you can get either surgical or orthodontic relapses, there is always an outside chance that my teeth have moved and not my jaws, but only an Xray can confirm this. I plan to have Xrays taken and compared to my post op x rays taken soon after the procedure. This is the only conclusive way to confirm the position of the jaws and see if this has differed.

nrelax11

• Private
Re: Double Jaw Surgery Relapse
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »
Sorry to hear about this :/ I didnt know your jaws could relapse that long after.  This is one of my main concerns now after my surgery. Someone with more knowledge on this can help you more, but I cant believe they didnt warn you of the possibility of relapse.

pekay

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 01:46:45 PM »
Are you male or female? How old were you when you had the surgery?

Class 3 patients (especially females) should wait til their mid 20s (23-24) to have surgery

Chopsticks > Spoons

elysium87

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 01:56:00 PM »
Are you male or female? How old were you when you had the surgery?

Class 3 patients (especially females) should wait til their mid 20s (23-24) to have surgery

I am a male, I was 22.5 at time of surgery.

elysium87

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:47:21 AM »
So, are there any other people with similar stories?

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 12:54:20 PM »
My surgeon is so concerned about relapse and my joints that im still in braces nearly 1.5 years after surgery.

elysium87

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 01:35:08 PM »
My surgeon is so concerned about relapse and my joints that im still in braces nearly 1.5 years after surgery.

How do braces prevent the jaws moving? I understand that they may prevent orthodentic relapse. I was in braces for 3 years prior to surgery and one year after, so 4 years in total.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »
With the braces on im able to wear bands that hold the teeth together at night.

elysium87

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 01:53:55 PM »
With the braces on im able to wear bands that hold the teeth together at night.

Ahh I see, I did wear bands but only for a few months after operation. I was told that these were only required to hold things in position whilst bones healed.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 03:00:37 PM »
That is true.  In my case though, if the lower jaw starts to "slip" back extra bands can provide bite-reinforcement while the tmjs stabilize.  For some reason my joints have taken longer than average to stabilize but so far no relapse which is good.

elysium87

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 03:45:25 PM »
That is true.  In my case though, if the lower jaw starts to "slip" back extra bands can provide bite-reinforcement while the tmjs stabilize.  For some reason my joints have taken longer than average to stabilize but so far no relapse which is good.

Ah ok, so you had a class 2 ?

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 05:26:27 PM »
Yeah, and a narrow palate with open bite.

elysium87

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 11:27:55 AM »
Is it possible that my teeth moving could cause my top and bottom teeth to bite on top of one another? Or does this imply jaws moved?

elysium87

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 03:37:06 PM »
Here is a pic of my bite immediately after surgery and my bite as of now.

[attachment deleted by admin]

pekay

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »
Wow that is an obvious relapse :(

Did you wear your retainer religiously for the first year? I'm talking about 15 hours+ per day.
Chopsticks > Spoons