Author Topic: Double Jaw Surgery Relapse  (Read 51157 times)

marcus3415

Re: Double Jaw Surgery Relapse
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2017, 06:45:10 AM »
Your situation reminds me of mine. I have a feeling this is going to happen to me in a few years. Bite is narrow, 100% needed expansion and they didn't do it.

elysium87

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2017, 09:02:30 AM »
The main outstanding issue now is that there seems to have been an overfill of the para-nasal area after the SARPE expansion. This makes the skin either side of my nose look a bit puffy. Why did this happen?  Even the surgeon was not sure :/

elysium87

« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2017, 04:06:58 PM »
Anyone know what causes this?

Adonia

« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2017, 04:20:53 PM »
how is it even possible that after cutting bone, moving in, screwing back into its new position, and the bone healing that you relapse. This idea seems impossible to me. Maybe your teeth move and that slightly changes your bite but I can understand how its possible to relapse

Framboise

« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2017, 10:44:21 PM »
A relapse is possible because of your TMJ especially condylar resorption.
If you are missing several teeth in the back, you have not enough bone in this area and you are lacking support.
My TMJ haven't bear my upper WT removal (I have a bone remodelling) and my jaws have moved backward as a result (too much forces for the anterior teeth).
You have to know that condylar resorption is a common side effects of jaw surgery, making a relapse a possibility.

elysium87

« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2017, 02:51:43 AM »
how is it even possible that after cutting bone, moving in, screwing back into its new position, and the bone healing that you relapse. This idea seems impossible to me. Maybe your teeth move and that slightly changes your bite but I can understand how its possible to relapse

My relapse was due to the fact that the original ortho / surgeon team did not expand my upper jaw properly. They used a quad helix expander to increase the width of the top jaw, this cannot be used on somebody who has stopped growing as the palette will have already fused together. I was 19 going on 20 when they installed this device. They should have performed a SARPE.

Upon noticing the relapse (i was actually unaware for a few years that it had relapsed), my only solution was to either have the bottom teeth filed to make them fit under the top, leave the bite as it was but accept damage to top and bottom front teeth over the years or have a SARPE and Le Fort I.

secondtimearound

« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2017, 01:41:02 PM »
I had a 50% relapse on my class 3 open bite bsso and lf1. In my problem it was that there was too much movement attempted through orthodontics, and unless you have incredible maxillary/mandibular bone, too much orthodontic movement will predispose to relapse or gum recession (which I also have mildly).

In my case the relapse was evident within months of taking off the braces. It stabilized within a year.

Probably most late phase relapse like what you describe is orthodontically mediated.

If you have an open bite you probably had a narrow upper jaw like me with possibly some crossbite like I had too. If that is the case, surgical arch widening via multipiece lf1 or sarpe are the only "ideal" ways to correct the problem.

Braces are only good for fine alignment. Gross misalignments must be corrected through bone cutting and repositioning.

Bones heal within a month or two so any relapse after that is not likely bone related unless you develop a subluxation of your TMJ or condylar resorption.

It's amazing how many orthodontists and surgeons don't "get" this. I went to the surgeon who was renowned as the best in my city (Tocchio) and I still ended up in this position.

nqrse

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2018, 05:49:02 PM »
Are you male or female? How old were you when you had the surgery?

Class 3 patients (especially females) should wait til their mid 20s (23-24) to have surgery

Why's that? Does the jaw continue to grow for that long?