Author Topic: Open bite, mouth breathing, see x-ray attached  (Read 3967 times)

hsvopenbite

Open bite, mouth breathing, see x-ray attached
« on: May 07, 2014, 09:10:41 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am very new here and I have read very good feedback that everyone is willing to give.

I had my consultation with my maxillofacial surgeon who deemed necessary orthognathic surgery. First I will have to have braces again to align my teeth better. I will also be doing a cauterization of my hypertrophic turbinates to improve my nasal airway, and my nose doctor has not suggested doing anything on my septum as the deviation is small

Since you all have your own experiences, from my x-ray, what do you think will be the type of orthognathic surgery I will need? I understand that are several types for different issues.

Also, how can we predict how we will look after this. I see it is a very intense procedure and the changes may be dramatic, and I would like to imagine what could be the outcome.

Thank you for your feedback and good luck with your journeys!

;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

hsvopenbite

Re: Open bite, mouth breathing, see x-ray attached
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 10:22:03 AM »
Hi

Thank you for your reply.

I read about it too. Being that I have very poor nasal air flow and my septum is not extremely deviated, I do not think there is an alternative to doing that procedure and being conservative in the tissue removal. Otherwise, my breathing problems will remain, affecting tongue posture, occlusion, etc, which is what brought me here in the first place.

Thanks!

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:56:52 PM »
Hey I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction and my nose is fine. Although my septom was very crooked and almost blocking my whole right side. Im very happy I had it done because now that im having jaw surgery I'll be able yo comfortably breath through my nose. Everyone has different results though.  Just speaking for myself

Ben

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »
Why are your turbinates swollen?
Did you have braces and extractions as a teen?

hsvopenbite

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 06:37:46 AM »
I don't know why they are swollen. And yes I had extractions and braces as a kid. Why?

Ben

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 12:46:17 AM »
Sorry no answers for you really just thinking.
I hate how ENTs don't know why they are performing an operation. They should know why your inflamed before they start removing important tissue. I can think of some reasons why you might be. I used to be a chronic mouth breathing and seem to be making some heading way of late. I've done so much to try and help myself to facilitate nasal breathing and man with a clear nose sleeping is amazing fall a sleep quickly, more dreams, life is much improved.
Where do you live?

hsvopenbite

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 11:50:40 AM »
He said my turbinates are hypertrophic and I remember as a kid I had enlarged adenoids. I used to be predominantly a mouth breather which caused the tongue thrust and my occlusion. It's all related and improving nasal air flow is necessary to start breathing correctly. I feel my sleep is really not good and if I happen to accidentaly fall asleep on my back I wake up with really bad nightmares and a racing heart - and I am just 25! it's bad if I have subtle sleep apnea at this age already. I have been living in different countries for the past few years but home is Portugal.