Author Topic: Will BSSO and genioplasty help with tight muscles/Myofascial PS?  (Read 4191 times)

retrudedmandible

I am on the hunt for someone who has had similar issues as mine that has been helped by surgery.  I've seen so many different orthodontists, NM dentists and besides that - Neurologist, eye docs, gps, all types of chiros, manual/physical therapists. 

I have an 8.5mm overjet after having braces twice both times with extractions.  My head feels like its not on my neck right.  I'm always jutting my jaw forwards.  I have dizziness/lightheadedness and every single muscle between my ears and upper back are chronically taut.

I'd like to know, before I shell out another $6k for braces and $21k for BSSO and genioplasty if this will help or if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
Insanity = Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

nrelax11

• Private
Re: Will BSSO and genioplasty help with tight muscles/Myofascial PS?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 03:23:43 PM »
I too jut my lower jaw forward and my surgeon says thats probably because it feels more natural that way and wants to be forward. My right side of my jaw has a ton of tight muscles. My masseter muscle and all the muscles under the jaw are chronically tight and actually kind of swell up because of it. So like you, I believe surgery will relieve this. My mouth also always hangs open because its a strain to shut,  so my tongue doesnt rest on my palate,  thus causing tension. The only thing that helps this for me Is a mouth guard

My surgery is in July
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 03:44:58 PM by nrelax11 »

retrudedmandible

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »
Oh yeah under the jaw are so tight.  Sometimes it feels like the back of my tongue is spasming.  I've had lots of splints that have brought me forward but they've only worked for about two weeks and then I would have to go back for adjustments.  I think it's because i ground down the splint so quickly since I wore it all the time.

I too jut my lower jaw forward and my surgeon says thats probably because it feels more natural that way and wants to be forward. My right side of my jaw has a ton of tight muscles. My masseter muscle and all the muscles under the jaw are chronically tight and actually kind of swell up because of it. So like you, I believe surgery will relieve this. My mouth also always hangs open because its a strain to shut,  so my tongue doesnt rest on my palate,  thus causing tension. The only thing that helps this for me Is a mouth guard

My surgery is in July
Insanity = Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 03:59:58 PM »
I assume you clench? I clench like crazy all day, but have recently started wearing the mouth guard to help a little. I wonder how your posture is too. I had bad forward head posture which contributed to a lot of neck pain and I recently fixed it. I just have the stupid jaw and neck pain around that right side of my jaw.

retrudedmandible

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 04:20:37 PM »
I have forward head posture too but I was told from a neuromuscular dentist that I have military neck too where I put my neck up to open my airway.  I have lost pretty much all curve in my neck too.  How'd you correct it nrelax11?  I find myself trying to straighten up and then I go right back to it.  Doesn't feel comfortable at all - feels very forced.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »
Well I always had an anterior pelvic tilt that I have almost fixed. I just need to work on strengthening my core and glutes more. I fixed my neck by stretching out my chest and lats and then strengthening my lower trapezius muscles. My routine is this:  I foam roll my chest muscles and then sometimes my lats too. Then I stretch my lats by putting my forearms on the foam roller with my palms facing in (so facing toward eachother) and while on my knees, I roll my forearms forward and youll feel a stretch in the lats. I then strecth out my chest muscles and procede by rolling a tennis ball along my trapezius muscle where it attatches to the shoulder blades. I do that to look for knots and tight spot. After all then I finally do my lower trap exercises which are y's, t's w's and l's (ytwl's). You can just either google those or look on youtube. Overall you just really want to stretch out your chest muscle and strengthen the lower lats.

retrudedmandible

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 05:19:48 PM »
Thanks for the reminder nrelax11! I have used a tennis ball on my traps before.  I haven't heard of the ytwl's before, but will youtube it :)