Author Topic: Best surgeon in Belgium  (Read 5569 times)

Atlantic88

Best surgeon in Belgium
« on: July 15, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
Hi all,

I am looking for advice as to who's the best surgeon in Belgium for jaw surgery (in my case: Le Fort I surgery and sliding genioplasty to treat long face syndrome, gummy smile and receding chin).

I have come across three surgeons in Belgium which are supposed to be good:

- Dr. Maurice Mommaerts: is very famous and has some very good reviews, however I've also come across some less good reviews on this forum
- Dr. Frans Noorman van der Dussen: is supposed to have a good reputation but I can't seem to find much experiences from people who have had jaw surgery with him
- Dr. Gwen Swennen: same

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has had jaw surgery / genioplasty with one of these surgeons or has heard of people who did.

I'm looking for the surgeon who has, in your view, the best sense of aesthetics.

Thanks!

Tiny

• Private
Re: Best surgeon in Belgium
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 03:09:31 PM »

- Dr. Maurice Mommaerts: is very famous and has some very good reviews, however I've also come across some less good reviews on this forum

If you search the board for this name you will find several people who had botched surgeries and need revision.  Not only were the surgeries badly executed, the plans themselves were poor.  I consulted him and he proposed a BSSO of ~5mm and no upper surgery.  For someone with a very short face and a lower jaw deficiency of 12-15mm, I don't think this constitutes a very good plan

- Dr. Frans Noorman van der Dussen: is supposed to have a good reputation but I can't seem to find much experiences from people who have had jaw surgery with him

I consulted with Dr Noorman for revision rhinoplasty.  He seems like a great guy, clearly is knowledgeable and experienced and by all accounts is a talented surgeon.  However, he is primarily a plastic surgeon, not an orthognathic surgeon

- Dr. Gwen Swennen: same

Have not heard many reports but all the reports have been good

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:50:33 PM »
Hi Atlantic,

Are there any Belgian jaw surgery forums out there? I'd be interested to hear of people's experiences with the Mommaerts Monster. Me, I think he's a disgusting individual and wouldn't trust him to assemble an IKEA bookcase never mind a face.

Don't say you weren't warned  ;)

Atlantic88

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 09:05:56 AM »
Dear all,

Thanks so much for all your comments.

Modigliani, I haven't found any (positive or negative) reviews about Mommaerts on Belgian (or Dutch) forums. Maybe most of his clients are international or else, it might be that Belgians are just less active on online forums.

After reading your comments, I have narrowed down my choice to either Noorman Van Der Dussen or Swennen. I wish there was more information available about them (like before-and-after pictures and reviews) because it still seems a bit like a shot in the dark to go with one of them without further information.

Gwen Swennen's clinic however has a new website with some explanations: http://www.mka-azsintjan.be/en/maxillofacial_surgery/orthognathic_surgery