Author Topic: Surgery is on Monday!  (Read 12939 times)

nrelax11

• Private
Surgery is on Monday!
« on: July 26, 2014, 02:20:32 PM »
And im starting to get really nervous :/ I got a script of ativan though,  so I'll be taking that tomorrow.  Ug, im somewhat excited, but im just scared of that first week. The moment I wake up and feel like s**t after having my jaw cut up. I cant believe the day is here. I remember when I got my braces and I told myself, one day its going to be the day before surgery and s**ts gonna get real. It arrived quicker than expected, and I just cant wait till the day its all behind me.

ForeverDet

Re: Surgery is on Monday!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 05:28:31 PM »
You'll do great. I had major league panic attacks before surgery so definitely take ativan if you feel your anxiety is getting bad. Don't let it get so bad that your freaking out and you forget that you have the magic pills to sedate you (happened to me haha).

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 06:29:20 PM »
You'll do great. I had major league panic attacks before surgery so definitely take ativan if you feel your anxiety is getting bad. Don't let it get so bad that your freaking out and you forget that you have the magic pills to sedate you (happened to me haha).

Did they by any chance sedate you a little while you were waiting to go into the operating room? Thats when I get really nervous lol. And I hope im pretty damn drugged up the day im in the hospital.  I get anxiety having to stay in the hospital,  but funny thing is, I want to work in a hospital xD

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »
LOL, you sure do like your pills.  Don't worry, you'll turn out great.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 10:16:22 PM »
I kind of just want to be a zombie while im in the hospital lol. Dont want to remember my quick stay there. I'll walk around as much as I can and drink the amount of water im required to drink and then im bouncin home haha

Thanks PloskoPlus. I always feel more prepared at night time for the surgery and during the day time I get anxiety thinking about it.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 12:24:31 AM »
Eek, I didnt think about the constipation from all the meds. I'll for surely be getting that tomorrow :) Thanks

LoveofScotch

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 10:31:11 AM »
Good luck, nrelax11! You seem to have a really great plan, and I'm sure everything will go great.

I hope the next few weeks go by super quick! Everyone here will be thinking of you!

(Don't let yourself get dehydrated; watch those electrolytes.)

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
That seems to have come around so quickly!

The Ativan is great idea to keep stress levels to a minimum, make sure you mention it to the anesthetist though before hand - pretty sure it won't make any difference at all but you want to cover all bases.

Think I was given a benzo of some sort in my room as I was getting myself ready -  assless gown and surgical stockings flatters no one! Anyway, I have no recollection of being wheeled into the operating theatre so it kicked in pretty damn quickly whatever it was.

Good luck, you'll be back with us in no time  :)

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 10:47:43 AM »
Thanks Madigliani :) Ive only told my best friend that my surgery is tomorrow and so its nice having this forum too for support:) Im trying to into this as positive as possible, so that im the same way during recovery. No matter how crappy it is. My other friends will find out whenever it is I see them lol.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »
Oh, that's another thing. Wear some sort of underwear! I don't know if jaw surgery is somehow different, or if different hospitals have varying panty protocols, but bring something of your own.

I had surgery a long time ago and went in workout capris (sans any underwear) and they made me wear disposable, baggy panties into surgery.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »
I don't think you're allowed to wear underwear during the surgery and immediately afterward.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 11:02:10 AM »
Yeah I got into an argument about that, I wasn't even allowed to wear a simple cotton pair - they insisted on nothing at all, not even the usual horrible hospital ones. Never had that before so assume it's another of UZ Brussel's 'quirks'.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 11:03:39 AM »
It's the same deal in every other hospital I've been to.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 11:17:16 AM »
Do they not allow underwear because of the catheter?  If I have one. Well I'll find out if I can or cant wear underwear.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »
I've had surgery a few times in the U.S. (other stuff, not jaw surgery), and every single time they made me wear underwear. If I wasn't sporting my own, they gave me a pair to wear. I was kidding, but apparently there really are different panty protocols. Oh, I didn't think of the catheter, though.

Anyway, good luck nrelax11!