Author Topic: Info regarding Recessed Maxilla w/ Prominent Cheekbones  (Read 14665 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: Info regarding Recessed Maxilla w/ Prominent Cheekbones
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 01:23:42 AM »
I think you're over-estimating by an extreme amount the degree to which proclined teeth affect soft-tissue.

To me you just look like a very typical asian. By that I mean an overwhelming majority of asians would look better after a le fort iii. Flat faces and bimaxillary protrusions are common traits amongst that race.

Admittedly I haven't followed the entirety of this thread, though I will say if your concerns are aesthetic I'd agree with what others have mentioned regarding paranasal implants and such. Especially given that your bite is class I. Only if it would solve some other issue such as snoring would it be worth it.

You won't look better after surgery.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 02:17:02 AM »
To me you just look like a very typical asian. By that I mean an overwhelming majority of asians would look better after a le fort iii. Flat faces and bimaxillary protrusions are common traits amongst that race.

That's a bold claim.  Le Fort III can make the eyes look smaller.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 07:17:35 PM »
"Asians" don't need le fort III that is crazy talk. lol. And don't be racist and stereotype all asians in the same category. Some asians actually have VERY well developed mid faces, SO DON'T BE JEALOUS.

So what am I jealous of again? I didn't catch that part.

Calm down with the political correctness. Believe it or not we aren't all the same. Asians DO have flatter faces.

My point about the lefort III was simply that so many asians have flat faces to the point where you could look at them and say "Yea, they'd look better after invasive surgery", but ultimately they are within the confines of what is considered normal for their race. So unlike a European, a flat face wouldn't be a compelling justification for jaw surgery. Especially when it'll make their bimax protrusion even stronger.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 10:22:24 PM »
Asians don't all have the same faces, stop being a f**king idiot. How's that for not being politically correct?

Asians are actually known for having higher and more prominent cheekbones and also more developed maxillas and arches and that doesn't qualify as having a flat face. The flatness perhaps is mainly due to the nasal bone not being as forward as on a Caucasian face.

Once again not all asians have the same problems, japanese tend to have longer flatter faces, whereas a south east asian would have a more of a rounder face etc but even this is stereotyping because there's many varieties of facial types and dental occlusions.

Also i didn't say we are all the same, but we can definitely have the same or similar occlusion problems.

And you are WRONG about asians looking better le fort iii, because it would make their already prominent cheekbones even more forward (and not to mention wider) and also make their eyes smaller. East asians tend to have flatter foreheads, so bringing the cheeks and mid face out by surgical means would look even more weird. I suppose now you will say they would look better if the entire frontal cranial base was brought forward  ::) I'd say that in reality there is no need for invasive surgery for non medical reasons, even if they have flat faces by your standards. Asians faces look damn good as they are. By asian standards, a standard caucasian face look "abnormal" but ultimately they are within the confines of what is considered normal for their race.

Your post is reminiscent of the radical feminists and progressives who spout logical fallacies and makes straw man arguments to justify their positions.

What I said:
"Asians do have flatter faces."
"Flat faces and bimaxillary protrusions are common traits amongst that race."

And your response:
"Asians don't all have the same faces, stop being a f**king idiot."

Seems like you're the f**king idiot for not understanding what was very clearly a generalization. I didn't say 100% of asians without fail have flat faces, just that it is common for asians to have flatter faces and bimax protrusions. Context is a powerful thing. There is no need to go beyond what I said. To any reasonable reader it should be clear, yet you insist on twisting it to be that I made a hard and fast rule concerning every asian and therefore am racist, jealous, and wrong.

Strangely enough you then went on to write at length about generalizations concerning asian facial morphology. Whatever.

I stand by what I said which is that him having a flat face is not particularly abnormal for an asian, just as his bimax protrusion is not abnormal.

I'm not going to post anymore in this thread as everything that needs to be said has. OP just needs to see someone to find out if jaw position is related to any of his non-aesthetic concerns and go from there.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 01:28:29 AM »
Le Fort III also widens the face.

ababc

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 03:20:07 PM »
Just had a consultation with a maxfac near my house and he said that I actually have extreme skeletal bimaxillary protrusion -- meaning the shape of my maxilla is basically flared outwards this way: \. Apparently I have the opposite of what I thought i did -- maxillary prognathism lol. The reason I have kind of poor support around my nose is because the back of my maxilla is too wide compared to the front of the maxilla?? <-- I was kind of confused when he told me this. My airway is kind of small due to a slightly recessed mandible but it shouldn't affect my breathing at night. So the snoring is being caused by something else. No idea what yet but there you have it. I have extreme maxillary prognathism and slight mandibular recession.

P>S. max fax also said that 99% of people with prominent cheekbones have prominent maxillas because they grow together as a unit
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:10:56 PM by tztz »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 04:33:31 AM »
So what does he propose?  Don't tell me extract teeth and pull the rest back to reduce the protrusion.

ababc

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 09:00:47 AM »
So what does he propose?  Don't tell me extract teeth and pull the rest back to reduce the protrusion.

He proposed that I do nothing as the position of  my maxilla/mandible was pretty much in an optimal position already. The arches were a little different though; my maxilla is like a V while my mandible was like a U. He said my orthondotist flared the teeth on the front of my maxilla laterally to account for this. I had diastema, which is a gap between teeth caused by uneven teeth/jaw size. My occlusion plane also starts flat, then descends a lot, then arches back upwards. He said it was good to have slightly recessed mandible and that it was not contributing to the snoring
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:21:19 AM by tztz »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 01:52:49 AM »
He proposed that I do nothing as the position of  my maxilla/mandible was pretty much in an optimal position already. The arches were a little different though; my maxilla is like a V while my mandible was like a U. He said my orthondotist flared the teeth on the front of my maxilla laterally to account for this. I had diastema, which is a gap between teeth caused by uneven teeth/jaw size. My occlusion plane also starts flat, then descends a lot, then arches back upwards. He said it was good to have slightly recessed mandible and that it was not contributing to the snoring

What about SAPRE to widen your maxilla?

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 09:34:57 AM »
Just had a consultation with a maxfac near my house and he said that I actually have extreme skeletal bimaxillary protrusion -- meaning the shape of my maxilla is basically flared outwards this way: \. Apparently I have the opposite of what I thought i did -- maxillary prognathism lol. The reason I have kind of poor support around my nose is because the back of my maxilla is too wide compared to the front of the maxilla?? <-- I was kind of confused when he told me this. My airway is kind of small due to a slightly recessed mandible but it shouldn't affect my breathing at night. So the snoring is being caused by something else. No idea what yet but there you have it. I have extreme maxillary prognathism and slight mandibular recession.

P>S. max fax also said that 99% of people with prominent cheekbones have prominent maxillas because they grow together as a unit

tl;dr I was right.

This is for goodlookingmaxilla ---

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 11:34:17 AM »
Get a room you two  8)

Ginger

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »

Well that's super interesting about cheekbones and maxillas growing together as a unit. So prominent cheekbones = prominent maxillas. Hmm, it seems like that isn't always the case?  ???