Author Topic: Class I overbite/overjet. Possible?  (Read 9689 times)

Bobert

Class I overbite/overjet. Possible?
« on: August 04, 2014, 04:27:18 PM »
I have a class I molar relationship. However, I have an overbite that hides most of my lower teeth and an overjet that makes contact between lower and upper incisors non existent. Is it possible to have an overjet and an overbite with a class I molar relationship?

nrelax11

• Private
Re: Class I overbite/overjet. Possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 04:47:48 PM »
Yes I was class 1 with an overbt/overjet and just had surgery

Bobert

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 05:05:21 PM »
Yes I was class 1 with an overbt/overjet and just had surgery

Interesting, what did you do? Did they translate your mandible forward and/or just cut it and lengthen it?

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 05:11:08 PM »
Interesting, what did you do? Did translate your mandible forward and/or just cut it and lengthen it?

I also had lip incompetence so my maxilla was shortened and brought foraward along with my mandible. They brought my maxilla forward for aesthetic reasons only though. My overjet/overbite wasnt that big though. I had most of it fixed when I was younger but they kind of masked the remaining of it

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »
I have a class I molar relationship. However, I have an overbite that hides most of my lower teeth and an overjet that makes contact between lower and upper incisors non existent. Is it possible to have an overjet and an overbite with a class I molar relationship?

Evidently it is eminently possibly seeing as it exists in your mouth

The question here is not is it possible but how did this come about.  Are all your teeth through? Any extractions? Got X rays?

sean89

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 08:06:50 PM »
I have all of these things.

Bobert

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 08:36:14 PM »
Evidently it is eminently possibly seeing as it exists in your mouth
*facepalm*, sorry, my bad.
The question here is not is it possible but how did this come about.  Are all your teeth through? Any extractions? Got X rays?
I have never had any extractions of the permanent teeth. The incisors in my upper jaw are inclined to the outside. The maxilla is well developed (I think? p.s. what are the signs of an underdeveloped/overdeveloped maxilla?). In the upper jaw there is minimal crowding with enough space for the wisdom teeth which are growing normally. The lower mandible looks retruded when I bite on the molars and my face looks sunk in with dolphin lips. The lower mandible has moderate to somewhat severe crowding. One of the premolars on the left side of the mandible is very inclined towards the tongue which caused all of the teeth to shift towards that stupid molar, so the mid-line of one of my incisors meets the line between the upper incisors. The incisors and the canines are jammed together, so their is like 1 mm intersection with their's neighboring teeth. I have had this issue with lower crowding since I was 12-13. Weirdly enough, my mandible grew enough that there is space at the back for wisdom teeth and they are growing with no problems. I have no access to a camera at the moment, so bear with me.

Now, I have visited 3 orthodontics. The first said that I need to extract 4 teeth and have treatment for 4 years. I, of course, wanted to go through with it. But my mom thought it was expensive and unnecessary (My family uses food stamps, so no money). I am extremely lucky that I didn't go through with it because after that I started to read about the problems with extracting good teeth. I then went to a functional orthodontic who said that extractions were unnecessary. He said he would expand the upper jaw a little and fix the arch of the lower jaw which would add 6 mm and he would grind the extra millimeters needed from the enamel of the teeth. I didn't like the idea of grinding teeth. His treatment would cost around $7000 and take 2 years. I then looked for another functional orthodontic. He said the same things without the grinding teeth thing, except that he said he would shift my mandible forward due to TMD and discomfort with the current position. His treatment would cost $6000 and take 2 years. I am very sorry for the lengthy description. I am currently planning on saving money for the last guy. I am 18 from a lower class family, so this will take time. I am not doing this for aesthetics. I am doing this because of the discomfort I feel in my mouth that has been straining my facial muscles.

Right now, traditional orthodontics think fixing my teeth without either extraction or surgery is impossible. I, however, found scientific papers that say that treating borderline class II with herbst in young adults is possible. Extractions are a big no no. Surgery is too damn expensive for me. I just need your opinion guys  :-[ :(. I have no idea were to start to get real consultation. Most of these orthodontic visits had no actual examination done, no xrays; just rough estimations. I have very little money; anything you say will help.

TL;DR Bad teeth need fixing; huge discomfort in mouth; avoided extraction; thinking about doing functional orthodontics at 18; saving money because family is poor; needed to vent about s**tty jaws/teeth

LoveofScotch

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 08:49:52 PM »
Bobert,

Can I ask a ballpark location where you live?

Bobert

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »
Bobert,

Can I ask a ballpark location where you live?

New Jersey.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 10:16:37 PM »
I'm not really sure if this is going to be helpful. Also, I'm sorry you're going through all this.

I'm definitely not the most knowledgeable here, but I have worked with like a damn dozen functional/holistic/neuromuscular dentists and orthodontists. I had TERRIBLE joint stuff, so I was put in the Twin Block with the hope it would help. It was picked because of something to do with my discs, even though my bite was perfect. My crazy joint clicking went away almost immediately, and my jaw didn't click for 7 years; the last 3 years the left side has started to click again (not bad at all, but certainly a change). The bummer is it changed a perfect bite by swinging my mandible ever so slightly forward giving me an edge-to-edge bite.

I'm bringing this up because it kind of sounds like that's partially what you need? I don't know much about the appliance you're considering, but I would do your own research! If you go this route, there are so many functional appliances on the market, I would just make sure everyone is on the same page (including you). Also, I'm not sure what your health insurance situation is, but sometimes jaw surgery is covered. With insurance it might not end up costing more than working with a functional orthodontist.

All the best!

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 10:59:49 PM »
I had the herbts appliance,  but it was when I was 16. They moved my lower jaw as much as possible and then masked the rest of my overbite. My surgeon told me I probably should have had surgery in the first place,  but I was still growing at the time.

Bobert

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 11:01:37 PM »
I'm not really sure if this is going to be helpful. Also, I'm sorry you're going through all this.

I'm definitely not the most knowledgeable here, but I have worked with like a damn dozen functional/holistic/neuromuscular dentists and orthodontists. I had TERRIBLE joint stuff, so I was put in the Twin Block with the hope it would help. It was picked because of something to do with my discs, even though my bite was perfect. My crazy joint clicking went away almost immediately, and my jaw didn't click for 7 years; the last 3 years the left side has started to click again (not bad at all, but certainly a change). The bummer is it changed a perfect bite by swinging my mandible ever so slightly forward giving me an edge-to-edge bite.

I'm bringing this up because it kind of sounds like that's partially what you need? I don't know much about the appliance you're considering, but I would do your own research! If you go this route, there are so many functional appliances on the market, I would just make sure everyone is on the same page (including you). Also, I'm not sure what your health insurance situation is, but sometimes jaw surgery is covered. With insurance it might not end up costing more than working with a functional orthodontist.

All the best!
Thank you very much. My insurance could (but not would) cover only jaw surgery but not the orthodontic part. I believe that orthognathic surgery also requires orthodontics. I also have medicaid till I turn 19, so I have a little over 6 months left in my insurance, which is not enough time before they prepare my jaw for surgery. Lastly, medicaid would only pay for jaw surgery if they believe that is medically necessary (like a broken jaw, large deformity, etc).

Bobert

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 11:02:05 PM »
I had the herbts appliance,  but it was when I was 16. They moved my lower jaw as much as possible and then masked the rest of my overbite. My surgeon told me I probably should have had surgery in the first place,  but I was still growing at the time.

How did he mask it?

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 11:20:28 PM »
How did he mask it?

Just by flaring my teeth forward

Bobert

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 11:32:02 PM »
Just by flaring my teeth forward
Were you class I or II before? How severe was your overjet?