Author Topic: Class I overbite/overjet. Possible?  (Read 9633 times)

nrelax11

• Private
Re: Class I overbite/overjet. Possible?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 12:02:10 AM »
I have no clue, I was 16 at the time. I know my overbite wasnt really really big though, but I cant recall though.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 09:10:35 AM »
Tricky situation. 

Grinding the teeth is not that uncommon to fix crowding issues.  Maybe not ideal but better than extractions

Sounds like you could well need a BSSO to fix your bite and yes you would need orthodontics for it.  I guess your options are to try and get a loan to cover the orthodontics and get the surgery on insurance, or wait until you are older, can save some money and get better insurance.  Could take 10 years though

So your current insurance will not cover any orthodontics despite significant functional issues and discomfort?

Bobert

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 10:15:12 AM »
Tricky situation. 

Grinding the teeth is not that uncommon to fix crowding issues.  Maybe not ideal but better than extractions

Sounds like you could well need a BSSO to fix your bite and yes you would need orthodontics for it.  I guess your options are to try and get a loan to cover the orthodontics and get the surgery on insurance, or wait until you are older, can save some money and get better insurance.  Could take 10 years though

So your current insurance will not cover any orthodontics despite significant functional issues and discomfort?

Insurance would cover orthodontics for people younger than 18.

Edit: I am against enamel grinding because I have sensitive teeth that are prone to decaying and cavities. Grinding them would exacerbate that. Anyway, this post gave me an idea. The insurance might not cover the surgery, but it will cover the consultation. So, few minutes ago, I called and made an appointment in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:39:56 AM by Bobert »

LoveofScotch

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 12:32:42 PM »
If you decide to go with the functional orthodontist I would fight like hell to get some of it covered by insurance (or get reimbursed from insurance). It may not work, but I would still try. Of all the people I've worked with I've had very little luck with this, but it still worked occasionally. What's interesting is that for the exact same appliance, I found one doctor who always gets my insurance to pick up the tab (consult, molds, appliance, appliance fittings), where with other doctors I've had to pay out of pocket for everything (health insurance for TMJ stuff, NOT dental insurance). Another thing to try, even if the doctor you work with doesn't work with insurance, is to submit to insurance after the fact. It can take forever to get the money back, and often times you get nothing back at all, but I would still try.

Good luck with everything. I hope you find something that helps.

Bobert

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »
LoveofScotch, thanks for the advice. I have the following plan in mind: get functional orthodontics with my minimum wage job. If the results are not that satisfactory, I will get surgery in 6-10 years when I will have enough money and hopefully some kind of jaw surgery revolution will happen. I hope the results from the orthodontic will be satisfactory enough that I don't need surgery.

Anyway, did any of you guys research Mandibular Symphyseal Distraction Osteogenesis? I think it's the surgical way to correct s**tty mandibular arches. I don't think my mandible needs lengthening since none of wisdom teeth are impacted so far (this is a guess).