Author Topic: found a better before/after of that Wolford condylar resorption teen. girl  (Read 13271 times)

pekay

amazing result imho

Chopsticks > Spoons

Lazlo

• Private
she's too young to realize how life changing this must have been for her. what a fortunate girl. yes, amazing result.  i've lived 1/3 of my life with my affliction, wish I had had the wherewithal to have it fixed when I was in my teens.

pekay

she's too young to realize how life changing this must have been for her. what a fortunate girl. yes, amazing result.  i've lived 1/3 of my life with my affliction, wish I had had the wherewithal to have it fixed when I was in my teens.

so what is your deal exactly? Class II ? and how old are you?
Chopsticks > Spoons

Kristen

• Private
Do you have more info on her case?   

Kristen

• Private
Do you know how old she was at operation time and if she had mitek anchors or total jaw replacement?

Marisama

• Private
I went to Wolford first and he told me to have Mitek anchors placed.  I am glad I didn't!

pekay

Do you know how old she was at operation time and if she had mitek anchors or total jaw replacement?

I have her entire medical journal but I don't feel like reading it, I'd send it to you but it's in portuguese (one of the assistant surgeon is Brazilian)
Chopsticks > Spoons

Kristen

• Private
I went to Wolford first and he told me to have Mitek anchors placed.  I am glad I didn't!

Yes , went for a consult  with Dr. Wolford also who reccomended Mitek anchors.   To ensure stability due to condylar resorption.

Lazlo

• Private
Yes , went for a consult  with Dr. Wolford also who reccomended Mitek anchors.   To ensure stability due to condylar resorption.

wait are "MItek" anchors something we should not get if our surgeon suggests them?

Marisama

• Private
It's just one surgeon out there suggesting them.

Lazlo

• Private
Re: found a better before/after of that Wolford condylar resorption teen. girl
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 08:06:13 AM »
It's just one surgeon out there suggesting them.

oh okay, thanks, phewf, one less thing to worry about...

Kristen

• Private
Anybody know anymore about the longterm risks and stability of mitek anchors?
Or if that girl gad them.   

CK

• Private
definitely lucked out. had she waited it wouldnt have been half as good.

pekay

definitely lucked out. had she waited it wouldnt have been half as good.

ya she looks to be 13/14 in the before pictures
Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private
ya she looks to be 13/14 in the before pictures

ive heard conflicting reports on these kinds of surgeries by doctors. one told me that surgery performed before the bones harden is generally discouraged and it is best to wait until maturity. it is difficult to predict how the bones will grow and breaking them and putting it all back together may mess up future growth. others have told me surgery should be performed as early as possible (6-7 ideally) if a growth disorder is diagnosed, and i was told the effectiveness of orthodontics in dealing with abnormal growth is exaggerated and sometimes has the opposite effect. the issue is parents of a child who is said to have developed growth problems are given two choices by orthos - surgery or braces.

most parents - when given the choice - will choose braces over surgery because surgery is seen as incredibly invasive and risky. and of course many orthos present the two treatment plans as if they are on the same playing field. shameful.