Author Topic: braces + lower jaw surgery or braces only?  (Read 25503 times)

Ginger

Re: braces + lower jaw surgery or braces only?
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2014, 09:54:11 AM »
Okay, I spaced getting copies of my xrays at my appointment. (However, they gave me a t-shirt emblazened with the ortho's name and a coupon for free ice cream. lol) Will try next week...

Ginger

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2014, 11:31:08 AM »
How big is your underbite? I'm concerned that moving your jaws will make you look worse because your profile looks good right now. Is it just one side?

Yeah, looking worse is valid concern, and one I'm really thinking about now. The oral surgeon said my underbite is minor enough to be fixed with braces and my asymmetry is within standard deviation. And after looking at before/after pic of asymmetry surgeries, I'm not impressed. Not sure if surgery is actually worth the risk.

My sister and I have similar lower jaws (it's our grandma's jaw), but mine just grew longer and wonky. A couple of pics of my sister and me below to compare (she's the one with darker hair). The pics show what my jaw might kind of look like if it was moved into better position. 

*Edited to remove sister's pics.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:51:20 PM by Ginger »

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2014, 11:53:55 AM »
You are more attractive than your sis, wonky jaw and all. I'd be tempted to leave well alone and just go with orthodontics.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2014, 12:47:15 PM »
Oh, Ginger, I don't know what I would do. One of the reasons I've been dragging my feet with surgery is I'm afraid I'll look worse after, too. I'm afraid to have surgery because I don't want to mess up my face, lol. If you can legitimately fix your bite w/o surgery, it may be something to consider.

I don't know...

PloskoPlus

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2014, 04:04:54 PM »
Since you mainly want to fix your bite and not change the way you look, you'll probably need very small movements of both jaws.

Ginger

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2014, 03:07:18 PM »
You are more attractive than your sis, wonky jaw and all. I'd be tempted to leave well alone and just go with orthodontics.

Thanks. I'm tempted to go with just the braces as well.

Ginger

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2014, 03:16:05 PM »
Oh, Ginger, I don't know what I would do. One of the reasons I've been dragging my feet with surgery is I'm afraid I'll look worse after, too. I'm afraid to have surgery because I don't want to mess up my face, lol. If you can legitimately fix your bite w/o surgery, it may be something to consider.

I don't know...

I'm glad I'm not the only one of the fence about having surgery. It's a big decision with no guarantees.

Now I'm leaning towards braces only and calling it good enough.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2014, 03:26:41 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one of the fence about having surgery. It's a big decision with no guarantees.

Now I'm leaning towards braces only and calling it good enough.

From what I've seen, most of the people who end up unhappy after surgery are those who liked how their faces looked pre-op. I think you should contact more surgeons and orthos though and explore if it's possible to fix your bite without having any extractions because that can potentially change your face.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »
Yea, I completely agree with GS. If you need extractions to fix your bite without surgery, that could/would be a game changer (in my opinion).

Ginger

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2014, 12:12:04 PM »
Yeah, if I go for braces only, I would need 1 or 2 lower teeth extracted. No upper extractions.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2014, 12:14:23 PM »
Yeah, if I go for braces only, I would need 1 or 2 lower teeth extracted. No upper extractions.

If possible, try to consult with other surgeons and orthodontists first and see if you can have it done without extractions.

OrthodontistExpert

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2014, 04:49:43 PM »
Honey... You need no extractions and you need upper and lower jaw surgery.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bIivMIcwGhQ&list=PLjC4hIwmyQfjQWNkTyvRUV1iqKdaIAgjD

Ginger

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2014, 06:39:34 PM »
Ginger honestly you are very attractive nothing wrong with your jaw at all. align your teeth a bit. don't touch  your upper jaw the risk is that you will loose your nice Forward projected face.

Thanks phantomoftheopera. That's nice of you to say.

Ginger

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2014, 12:14:51 PM »
From what I've seen, most of the people who end up unhappy after surgery are those who liked how their faces looked pre-op. I think you should contact more surgeons and orthos though and explore if it's possible to fix your bite without having any extractions because that can potentially change your face.

Since you mainly want to fix your bite and not change the way you look, you'll probably need very small movements of both jaws.

Hmmm, I wouldn't say I totally love the way I look. More like I've gotten used it? My lower jaw does bother me. The asymmetry is the bigger issue, but my jaw also makes my face long. I tend not to smile with my mouth closed because it emphasizes how long my jaw and chin are.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 06:47:18 AM by Ginger »

Ginger

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2014, 10:31:58 AM »
Still deciding. This is exhausting  :-\ It's been 2 months in braces so far. My orthodontist has been very patient with my indecision about surgery. There's about a month before the orthodontist needs an answer from me. I've talked with one surgeon. Next week I go in for new wires, and I'll ask the ortho for a second surgeon referral.

I'm going back to the first surgeon this month. My health insurance doesn't cover this surgery  >:(  He quoted around $15,000 for surgery and hospital fees.

I would definitely go the surgery route if my insurance paid for this, which it won't. If I pay for it myself, I'll need to save as much as I can and charge a credit card for the rest, mortgage my house, or find a different insurance that covers this (not successful so far in my area). Ugh.

Are other folks in this situation of having to pay for surgery? It's such a crappy situation when the cost can influence the decision on whether or not have surgery.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 02:13:29 PM by Ginger »