Author Topic: Stiff/Tightness in lower lip-chin post op 1year 2months  (Read 27558 times)

needadvancement

Re: Stiff/Tightness in lower lip-chin post op 1year 2months
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2015, 02:37:17 PM »
Under the lower lip, how far down? The root of the teeth go down pretty low and I don't think any sort of plates or screws should be staying there.

jusken

• Private
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2015, 02:42:06 PM »
It feels like midway between the top of my lower teeth and the bottom of my chin.  It may be RIGHT below the roots.  Is this a recommendation to get it removed?  The surgeon seems to agree.

The stiffness isn't ideal at all, but I certainly don't want to make anything worse.

needadvancement

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2015, 05:31:05 AM »
Have you gotten any x-rays? That should show if the roots are covered by the plate.

aj08229

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 10:11:01 AM »
jusken i did not have genioplasty so no plates on chin , i had plates on my both jaws which has been removed , all i have is stiffness in my lower lip which bothers me time to time and it is over sensitive

aj08229

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2015, 03:02:37 AM »
I realized that what i have is numb patches on both side of my lower lip , and they tend to get heavy and stiff which i dont know why , also i dont think majority of people having numb patches dont feel stiff or feeling of having frozen lip in cold . some sort of over sensitivity . does anybody know what this could be ? or a scar tissue which i have to break

Rico

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 02:40:20 AM »
Stiffness on lips / chin ?
it seems like it's damaged nerve issue. Do you have at the same time reduced feeling there ?
MOST PEOPLE FEEL STIFNESS ON THE NUMB AREA.  ME TOO . IT'S TYPICAL.. EVEN IF YOU LOOSE 1-5% OF FEELING

If yes.... then..

if you can't live with damaged nerve, why you underwent surgery ?  it's forbidden for people who can't live with damaged nerves
i know easy to say..... all of us had / have hope

and it will never be better

sad but true

of course you can take same drugs to reduce symptoms, but every drug has some side effects and it does not alleviate main issue

welcome to world of people who can't live with damaged nerve on face
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:50:09 AM by Rico :) »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 03:27:23 AM »
I wasn't told that this was such a common issue.
I can cope with numbness (which isn't severe---just some tingling)
but it's the stiffness which feels like the mouth was sewed up too tight and even my smile looks "tight" and awkward.
Sometimes it's so tight that I get a headache and constantly pull my lower lip which actually reduces the tightness but only when I keep doing it.
I have this in my upper lip.  The stiffness is truly horrible.  I roll my lip over my teeth to loosen it up.

Rico

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 05:32:37 AM »
but stiffness is a product of numbness...you can't do anything untill you repair your nerve.. what is impossible in this century

it's kinda pulling feeling.. paradoxically the more numbness you have the more you feel that something is not OK
so the less you feel, the more you feel other symptoms

tingling ?  it's a sign of nerve regeneration

or perhaps you have compressed nerve by a plate ?  remove them

i bet there are some people who killed themselves due to such problem
Once regeneration stopped, it never will be better... never

i hope other people think about the surgery more times..before they make decision

but hey at least you have very smal area
i feel the same symptoms on that area:
https://www.proceduresconsult.jp/UploadedImages/pcj_0106_00001600_100000_small_03112010173005.jpg

aj08229

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2016, 12:38:09 PM »
i guess me and you are in the same boat
check pm Isabella123

Jordana1983

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2020, 04:40:52 AM »
Hello I am coming a bit late on this thread to say the least
But I have then exact same issue you described
Have you found a solution please ?
Many thanks

ODog

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2020, 01:38:39 PM »
I’ll share what a good surgeon whom I won’t name told me about the causes of stiffness. See his words below,

“ Numbness after genioplasty is most frequently due to partial or complete damage to the mental nerve. Stiffness and frozen“ feeling is related to the amount of degloving of the muscles and soft tissue from the underlying bone that needs to be reattached afterwards and can lead to scarring. Both issues should be avoidable in experienced hands, but healing problems can also occur after any operation and in any patient.”

On whether it can be treated:

“Unfortunately Nerve lesion is almost impossible to be treated satisfactorily. Scarring can sometimes be released a bit, but never completely. The best thing is avoiding it from the very beginninG.”

Also, according to him, the surgeons that say numbness is the cause “know that that’s not the case but just do not want to admit it.”

For those who insist that “stiffness is a byproduct of numbness” please point me to the literature that supports this. I don’t think you’ll find anything that says the nerves do anything more than merely supply sensation. “Stiffness” is not a sensation, it’s not something you can determine with a pin prick. It’s something you observe in motion, e.g. stiff joints, stiff muscles, etc. 

Take that FWIW. Seems right to me. There are too many people with numbness who don’t have stiffness for this to be the same problem. It’s not.

This problem mostly cannot be treated, however there are surgeons out there who see patients for “stiffness after genioplasty” and claim to have offered them great relief.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2020, 01:44:33 PM »
So it sounds like the nerve issue is a lost cause, but the scarring can be at least partially released?  That part might be worth pursuing further

ODog

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2020, 01:46:31 PM »
So it sounds like the nerve issue is a lost cause, but the scarring can be at least partially released?  That part might be worth pursuing further

Yeah I’m eventually going to try it, but right now it’s not a priority. Also I’m not getting my hopes up.