Author Topic: What surgery on maxilla/upper jaw is that? What is the procedure name?  (Read 7919 times)

Veds

Thanks

falcao

Re: What surgery on maxilla/upper jaw is that? What is the procedure name?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 05:53:42 AM »
It's a multi-segment Le Fort 1. It's very common.

Veds

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »
It's a multi-segment Le Fort 1. It's very common.

Multi-segment Le Fort 1 is only one type of this surgery or there is another type of Le Fort 1? I mean, there is only one Le Fort 1 or not?
This procedure is for "widening" narrow palate with protruded maxilla or recessed maxilla ? Thanks

sean89

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »
The palate in the gif looked like it narrowed to me, but I think multi-segment le fort can be used for narrow palates but one of the upper jaw experts on here will chime in soon hopefully and confirm what the procedure is.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 01:13:51 PM »
Le forte 1 has a dizzying amount of variations: multiple segments, different levels of cuts above the teeth roots, different shapes of cuts (step, level, zigzag, angled).  Fwiw, my maxilla was too wide and had to be narrowed.

Bazarov

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 07:42:37 PM »
Is the periform aperture being shortened in that gif? I was under the impression that that wasn't possible.

geijutsu

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 07:45:43 PM »
Can I ask why do people prefer SARPE to multi-segment Le Fort I ? Because that seems to be the case on this forum.

The segmental osteotomy will leave two lateral gaps which would need to be closed with braces eventually. This probably means bring the anterior teeth back to close those gaps, thus meaning the end result will involve expanding the arch only laterally, much like what happens with SARPE. I haven't heard a doctor's opinion on the subject nor have I read a paper that compares the two, so that's just speculation on my part.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:06:50 PM by geijutsu »

Veds

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 10:43:44 PM »
Le forte 1 has a dizzying amount of variations: multiple segments, different levels of cuts above the teeth roots, different shapes of cuts (step, level, zigzag, angled).  Fwiw, my maxilla was too wide and had to be narrowed.

Thanks!

Veds

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 10:48:58 PM »
The segmental osteotomy will leave two lateral gaps which would need to be closed with braces eventually. This probably means bring the anterior teeth back to close those gaps, thus meaning the end result will involve expanding the arch only laterally, much like what happens with SARPE. I haven't heard a doctor's opinion on the subject nor have I read a paper that compares the two, so that's just speculation on my part.

Multi-segment Lefort 1 or SARPE can be performed along with other surgeries such as BSSO and Sliding genioplasty or it's required to wait some months for the bones to heal for the next surgery?

Leaving out some differences between them, if we can go to the  operating room only once it would be much better because we would have to cope with only one harsh and long post-operative recovery.

geijutsu

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 03:50:58 AM »
Is this surgery only for blacks? Wouldn't it make the mouth recessed if you don't have bi-maxillary protrusion?

It's for people with open bite problems.

Veds

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 02:19:49 PM »
Multi-segment Lefort 1 or SARPE can be performed along with other surgeries such as BSSO and Sliding genioplasty or it's required to wait some months for the bones to heal for the next surgery?

Leaving out some differences between them, if we can go to the  operating room only once it would be much better because we would have to cope with only one harsh and long post-operative recovery.

Naive question but I'm still curious

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 04:23:26 AM »

SAPRE is done before any other surgeries.  Multi-segment Le Fort 1 can be done at the same time as BSSO or genioplasty.

Veds

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 11:42:47 AM »
SAPRE is done before any other surgeries.  Multi-segment Le Fort 1 can be done at the same time as BSSO or genioplasty.

Thanks

sean89

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 07:02:07 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj6OloyMBMc

This is the traditional segmental le fort, I think, for maxillary widening.

Vic

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 03:15:10 PM »
Would this stop maxillary protrusion?