Author Topic: Jaw implants vs Chin wing  (Read 12710 times)

Rico

Re: Jaw implants vs Chin wing
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 11:52:07 AM »
I understand . I had botched "surgery"
Everyone who after fracture is not treated properly belongs to this group ... have you ever thought in this way ?

so I undersatnd what is devastating experience, especially when I even do not need to look into mirror [not so bad in my case] but I feel it constantly, the pain on the face. Now I have 1-10% that surgery will help to relief symptoms. A lot of stress, insecurity - you know that feeling. There is no specific drug for neuropathy.

It would be good to make such list of surgeons who literally destryoed someone face..

I'm not gonna to improve my look, but to fix what other doctors f*** up, doing nothing. Believe me almost the same, because it demands "post-op" correction

sorry for off-topic
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:43:24 PM by Rico :) »

Vic

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 01:38:55 PM »

Yes, I had a chin implant before my jaw surgery and the x-ray showed SIGNIFICANT erosion to the bone. I have an early x-ray from that time if anyone wants to see it.

Implants are still common because the idea is the bone erosion will be (much) less than the actual gain from the implant. Also, the main erosion happens in the first 6 months or so. After that, it's apparently stable. So, it's not like the bone will continue to erode for the rest of your life.

About the chin wing - no, you are not looking into things correctly, as you put it yourself. You neglect the fact that they use a bone graft in the process.

In my case (and I think in 90% of the other cases), they took a HUGE bone graft from the hip. So, if you account for the bone graft into your equations, you'll realize that no, a step off is not typically a result of this surgery, and yes, you can lengthen your ramus considerably in the vertical direction.

Hows does Chin Wing lengthen the ramus? I thought it creates the illusion that your ramus is longer due to you have more of a horizontal plane?

Vic

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 01:40:41 PM »
You mean peek and medpor are one and the same?

They're different

PloskoPlus

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 06:49:49 PM »
In my case the erosion is very visible on one side.
So you had a chin implant?  Anyway, thanks for the info.  It appears that implants are indeed evil.  BTW, here is an example of "ramus lengthening".

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 11:20:15 PM »
You guys should know something important here. I've discussed the issue of hip and other types of grafts : rib, jaw, etc. etc. with regards to jaw surgery and nearly EVERY craniofacial doctor and surgeon I've spoken with (I never asked Keller about this though and should have) has told me that the bone will resorb over time. And that the only somewhat stable bone to harvest for a graft is from the skull, yes, that's right the f**king skull and that would require an incision into your scalp. I'm pretty certain that the problem of erosion would be present with cadaver and bovine (cow) bone crafts as well. What happens to those? THEY DO NOT DISSOLVE. THEY DO NOT TURN INTO THE PATIENTS OWN BONE. SO WHAT IS THE PROCESS WITH THE OTHERS. I've seen a lot of patients who had jaw surgery in highschool and now in their 30s have fully relapsed. That problem is way way more common than is ever advertized because really long-term follow-ups of jaw surgery (i.e. a decade are more) are essentially non-existent. So bone grafts dissolve.

But IMPLANTS are horrible. More surgeons than I can even name right now have confirmed what you guys are talking about erosion and infection and constant inflammation. When you guys consult, you need to get some definite answers about grafts and the rate at which they absorb.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2014, 01:09:13 AM »
I really didn't worry about resorption till I saw this girl who is in her 30s now. I actually never saw her jaw surgery result. But I knew she had lower jaw advancement from a friend. Well she looked even worse of a class II than I remembered from high-school and I do recall her having a receded chin even from then. I also noticed her teeth weren't very straight given that she would have had braces. She didn't seem in very good spirits either and I felt bad for her.

I don't think these surgeons really know very much. In the case of absorption I've heard point-blank assertions that the bone will resorb if taken from anywhere other than that cranium.