Author Topic: Changes in lip position after surgery?  (Read 4827 times)

Lazlo

• Private
Changes in lip position after surgery?
« on: January 19, 2013, 08:42:07 PM »
Don't know if this topic will get any traction but I'm interested in seeing pics of people whose lips look different (hopefully better) after jaw surgery. Mine are a bit pursed and sunken in after braces and extractions, and I was wondering if the forward movement of the jaws will make the lips look fuller? I would also be interested in seeing pics of anyone who might have had some kind of lip lift or augmentation in conjunction with surgery.

Wondering also if braces prop up the lips and that they'll curl down a bit when braces are taken off.

Marisama

• Private
Re: Changes in lip position after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 08:44:27 PM »
My lips are more symmetrical after surgery.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 10:20:34 PM »
Well I know of a couple people here who have requested lip augmentations with their surgery. Arnett performs a V-plasty procedure where the incisions are made inside the lip but the results are not that dramatic from what I've seen just browsing the web. Again, a short philtrum is associated with more attractive faces, especially when the lip curves up slightly (in profile the space between the upper lip and nose is convex, not concave(Stephen King is a good example of a very concave upper lip, doesn't look great IMHO). Mine was somewhat convex before I had braces, but since the extractions, and retraction of front teeth, my upper lip is dropped down slightly and that area is somewhat straight, neither convex or concave and looks bloody awful in my opinion. So either the bringing of the front teeth forward will curl the lip back up or it will flatten it out further, in which case I'll need some sort of other procedure.

Lip augmentations to shorten the philtrum, usually through a subnasal lip life leave a very bad scar underneath the nose, so it's not ideal at all. Anyway, wondering if pics you guys have seen actually gives us more info about this...

AshesAshes

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 12:45:42 AM »
My lips became much fuller with forward movement of both jaws.  When I consulted with Gunson he told me I actually had full lips, but without bone to support them they just kind of caved in.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 06:13:17 AM »
My lips became much fuller with forward movement of both jaws.  When I consulted with Gunson he told me I actually had full lips, but without bone to support them they just kind of caved in.

Who did your surgery?   Was the plan similar to Dr. Gunson's ?