Author Topic: Surgery with Dr Hernández Alfaro Before and After as requested by Rico and Grego  (Read 18586 times)

molestrip

• Private
Nice to see some MMA before/after pics. May I ask, how much were your advancements? Did you have genio too?

My plan calls for 10mm to lower (13mm to chin), and 7mm to upper. Dr Alfaro was planning on moving me a bit more. My impression is that I'll look like you. I think the aesthetically optimal result is 3-4mm less for both of us.

Aesthetically, I don't like the look of your new jaw line. I think a flat profile is a healthy look that should be attractive but isn't just because post-agricultural revolution it's become less common so you're not seeing it in celebrities. It's not terrible, though, just the aesthetically optimal result is a few mm less forward. That's to be expected with a surgery like this and the tradeoff is you'll get another 10-20 years without CPAP and likely avoid many of the late age health problems many people experience. Your nose looks way better now too, which is uncommon with MMAs. Your cheeks are flat but they were flat before too due to age most likely. They may look better once the swelling is down.

I consulted with Dr Alfaro too btw. I really liked him but wish he wasn't a 15 hour flight away :( I like the minimally invasive technique but I don't think it changes the odds of nerve loss much. The recovery is easier, which is what he advertises about it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:52:38 PM by molestrip »

Langpam

My advancement was 12mm and yes I did have genioplasty.
I can't be more precise about how much the maxilla was advanced and how much the mandible as I never asked that question. My one big concern was that it would enlarge my airways sufficiently for me not to have to use CPAP ever again.
The result for me was aesthetically pleasing, which was a bonus. I definitely look younger now and my nose has support from the advanced maxilla. So, for me it was a win win.
I think the minimally invasive technique works when it comes to the recovery process.

Rico

are you gonna remove mini-plates in few months ?

Langpam

Well, I won't be removing anything, ha.

I'm aware that titanium is the most biocompatible material with very low toxicity and would only need to be removed if there were an infection.

Langpam

Check out my new before and after photos (8 weeks post op) in the Overbites section

Ub2910

I had a consultation last year with Dr Hernandez Alfaro for a corticotomy and he seemed very expensive. I am now considering having surgery first maxillary advancement with him, what prices have people paid for surgery with him?

Langpam

I found his prices quite competitive and since the hospital stay is usually very short ( in my case 1 night) this reduces the overall cost. Other quotes were for five nights in hospital ( London and Zürich) and were in fact more expensive.

Ub2910

He quoted me 7000€ for a corticotomy, I then went to a different clinic and they quoted 2000€. The thing is it's only a 30 minute procedure under local anaesthetic, I have no idea how he could ask for that much for something so quick and simple. What surgery did you have and how much did it cost?

Langpam

He quoted me 7000€ for a corticotomy, I then went to a different clinic and they quoted 2000€. The thing is it's only a 30 minute procedure under local anaesthetic, I have no idea how he could ask for that much for something so quick and simple. What surgery did you have and how much did it cost?

His prices are pretty competitive. I paid less than 20,000 euros for bimaxillary and genioplasty. It was worth every penny, or euro in this case!! A fantastic surgeon.

Gregor Samsa

His prices are pretty competitive. I paid less than 20,000 euros for bimaxillary and genioplasty. It was worth every penny, or euro in this case!! A fantastic surgeon.

You can get it done for less than half of that in Germany but it it could be worth paying that premium if you're comfortable with your surgeon.

molestrip

• Private
Coming back to this thread, I realize that Dr Alfaro's technique could be very significant. 80% of blood flow is lost in a LeFort, more if segmental. During recovery, the only blood supply remaining is through the oral mucosa, which he is able to spare more of. Less teeth lost, fewer "wood teeth". Dr Alfaro is exactly the kind of doctor I like. Why can't I find anyone in the US like him?

terry947

wow nice find molestrip, do you think a&g do this? also this could explain why langpam had a smooth recovery. also 20e for trimax is a pretty good deal.

molestrip

• Private
You never know. He published the paper in 2012 and I think they all know each other but I would guess that no they aren't doing it. At least that practice has other reasons it's not viable for them. Other surgeons could potentially do it. I would guess it's not viable for all procedures too.

PloskoPlus

You never know. He published the paper in 2012 and I think they all know each other but I would guess that no they aren't doing it. At least that practice has other reasons it's not viable for them. Other surgeons could potentially do it. I would guess it's not viable for all procedures too.
People get used to using certain tools.  Look at pro tennis players.  Most of them keep using the same racket they grew up with.  I heard towards the end of his career Sampras bought hundreds of rackets of the same model he grew up with because they were about to go out of production.

Lazlo

• Private
could someone post a link explaining his technique or explain it to me themselves?