Author Topic: Male 28 underbite OPINION needed  (Read 28826 times)

ryu1986

Male 28 underbite OPINION needed
« on: December 17, 2014, 07:33:10 AM »
Dear All,

hope you all do well. Well my journey began 1997. At first I got lose braces for upper and lower jaw. after that a weird looking gadget placed on my forehead and in the middle there was an area for gums which were connected to my upper jaw. probably to influence upper jaw growth. well after the treatment was finished. I was happy because result was nice. just a notice: I suffer under haemophilia a bleeding disorder.
well as mentioned. years passee and I kinda developed an underbite. to be honest I never paid that much attention to it and to be honest no one from my friends and orhr people mentioned that ever till I went to dentis who told me yeah you have a crossbite + underbite. I also posted my story in a very famous German forum. so if people from there are here as well, greetings to all of you.
so I went to surgeon. I have a maxilia retrognathie (dont know english expression). means upper jaw is behind or the growth was not that much and an lower jaw which seems larger. a bit of dish face deformaty. well because of my haemophilia such an surgery is a high risk. and my haematologist was not happy and she said to be honest you dont look that bad that I would say go for it. but she was so kind and planned the operation with surgeons. the surgeon daid I wont do bimax operation because bleeding risk for upper jaw I mean post bleeding is very high, but we can go for lower jaw. move it back. but now I think this is not the best way because to be honest when your middle face is flat like dish face and you move back the lower jaw rhen probably your nose look very prominent. I mean it is a very hard journey. braces, operation and of course you want to have best result at the end and nit just a compromise because of your haemophilia. My underlip looks a bit prominent compared to my upper lip. I have asked so many people, even around me people who I do not know if they see sonething strange in my face and I cant actually imagine but most of them said well to be honest we dont see anything. and when I said here look at my underlip and jaw then a couple of them said ohh well yeah just a bit but nothing to mention. I dont know of the are lying or not. some of them even said it suits your overall look. but well...I am thinking to forget all this things and move on with my life. I mean I know class III patients who look nuch more worse than me to be honest.
here are some pics

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:45:22 AM by ryu1986 »

ryu1986

Re: Male 28 underbite OPINION needed
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 07:34:26 AM »
More pixs

ryu1986

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 07:37:29 AM »
more pix

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 08:45:43 AM »
I think you look pretty good as it is, but the underbite is slightly noticable. The problem with only moving the lower jaw back is that it can lead to sagging of the face and it could also lead to less space for your tongue etc that in turn could lead to functional problems. How big of an underbite do you have? I think this would be a pretty straight-forward surgery for you if it weren't for the bleeding disorder. I don't know anything about it though so it's hard to say what you should do.

ryu1986

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 09:56:04 AM »
about 4mm. yeah yöu can notice it. maybe slightly but I always think it is so huge and ppl are starring on it since I am into that topic. yeah bimax is risk. I thought: get braces, push back the lower tooth a bit and upper tooth a bit more outside just to create a kinda illusion so just the underlip goes a bit back.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 10:02:49 AM »
4 mm before or after decompensation? 4 mm is not a lot.

ryu1986

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »
have no braces yet. tomorrow I have app. with clinic director. he personally wants to talk with me with chief doctors because I am a
risk case.

ryu1986

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 10:38:33 AM »
Instead of enjoying life I am about to get mental disorder

ryu1986

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 02:01:45 PM »
profile guys

what u sayn'?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »
Try consulting with a maxillofacial urgeon who is also a craniofacial surgeon and does a lot of paediatriac cases (cleft lip, genetic syndrome cases, etc..)  Those cases have weirdly grown nerves, soft bones, etc., and are much harder to operate on than an adult.  You may find that he will be unfazed by your haemophilia.

ryu1986

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 04:04:35 PM »
really? yesterday I was at the surgeon. and he openly talked. he said: mr. xxxx if I saw on the streets as you are right now I would not say that you have a weird looking face or a profile which would cause negative reactions. Of course me as a surgeon and dentist now aware of your situation can see just only a lil bit difference in your face compared to others. in everyday life he said believe many ppl would not recognize it that much. you are now too much into that topic so yöu focus a lot and see that difference. he said when we move back your jaw about 4mm your under lip would become less than it is now about 2mm. so thr change in your profile is very less. he said honestly think sbout it. there are ppl like yOu with worse looking profile in comparism. He said think about it. he said you dont look too bad as a men. haha well anyway still very unsecure what to do guys
my mind is exhausted guys. feel not so good to be honest.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 08:26:58 PM »
See another surgeon. Which country are you in?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 09:13:34 PM »
really? yesterday I was at the surgeon. and he openly talked. he said: mr. xxxx if I saw on the streets as you are right now I would not say that you have a weird looking face or a profile which would cause negative reactions. Of course me as a surgeon and dentist now aware of your situation can see just only a lil bit difference in your face compared to others. in everyday life he said believe many ppl would not recognize it that much. you are now too much into that topic so yöu focus a lot and see that difference. he said when we move back your jaw about 4mm your under lip would become less than it is now about 2mm. so thr change in your profile is very less. he said honestly think sbout it. there are ppl like yOu with worse looking profile in comparism. He said think about it. he said you dont look too bad as a men. haha well anyway still very unsecure what to do guys
my mind is exhausted guys. feel not so good to be honest.

I had a small underbite as well - my teeth just touched and I didn't give it much thought until last year.  However, as I got older, my nose seemingly got bigger.  It was the skin thinning with age.  The surgeon told me that it will probably get worse: "only a trained doctor like me can see your recession, in 10 years time everyone else will".  Even though I was not fat, I decided to lose weight and lost about 10 kg - going from about 18% body fat to 12% in the process.  My face basically collapsed and I aged like 1 year for every kilogram.

tldr;
Your face is kind of chubby.  Lose weight.  It will make your recession much more obvious and may show you what the future holds for you.
Millimetres are kilometres on the face.  I was only advanced 5-6 mm and the difference has been huge (for better or worse).

ryu1986

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 01:02:11 AM »
i mean is my underbite that much obvious? you mean losing weight means it gets more obvious?

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 01:13:28 AM »
It's more obvious in the last picture you posted. You need to consult with more surgeons and maybe even consider seeking treatment abroad if the expertise in your own country is limited. You're lucky in the sense that the upper part of your face looks really good, but there is definitely a noticable discrepancy between your jaws.