Author Topic: Reversing chin surgery/ptosis  (Read 3285 times)

Serra

• Private
Reversing chin surgery/ptosis
« on: January 03, 2015, 12:08:48 AM »
Several months ago I had lower jaw surgery (for an open bite) and genioplasty. The chin surgery went all wrong - crooked, there was a gap between the bone segments and it severely elongated my face. He also did not follow his own surgical plan and doubled the amount of chin advancement he had told me. He had told me this surgery would make my face look shorter if anything. I'm a young woman and ended up looking like a transsexual. I was told the gap between the bones was what was causing my face to look so long. I went in for a revision one month post-jaw surgery to fix chin asymmetry, close the gap and set back my chin to the original planned advancement. The chin looked shorter but still too long and made my face look masculine, especially my smile. I also ended up with chin pad ptosis and muscle dimpling. My bottom lip was shrunken for months and has improved but looks crooked for some reason.
I have to avoid all mirrors or I mentally breakdown. Sobbing, anxiety attacks, insomnia. nausea. I'm going to reverse the chin surgery completely but I don't know if the sagging chin muscle can be fixed. Mentalis muscle resuspension seems to be an unpredictable procedure that often times fails according to online searches. This is what's causing more of my anxiety; that I'll be forever disfigured. I only finished university a year ago to give you an idea of my age.
I guess what I'm looking for is any consolation regarding chin reversals and chin/muscle ptosis... I still don't know why this happened to me and that is one of the most heartbreaking parts. I'm honestly nearly at my wit's end.

ForeverDet

Re: Reversing chin surgery/ptosis
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 02:03:24 AM »
Hey I'm very sorry about your situation.

Set up some consult with doctors who a lot of experience with genioplasties and don't settle on one until you feel 100% confidence in him (nothing can be guaranteed of course but enough due diligence and you'll usually get a good result).

To assuage your fears a bit, yes re-do surgeries or more specifically correcting ptosis can be successful. And until you do get it fixed perhaps you should see a therapist or just close friend/family member to talk to because mentally breakdown, anxiety, etc. is just unnecessary suffering. There are solutions, you can improve your situation but you just have to find a doc who has dealt with similar cases and you feel comfortable with.

And obviously don't let your original surgeon ever touch you again.