Author Topic: 8 weeks post op  (Read 4130 times)

Langpam

8 weeks post op
« on: January 11, 2015, 01:32:01 PM »
So happy to learn that my bones have fused together and everything is going according  to plan. I had the four screws removed which were holding the front elastics in place.
The doctor is so gentle, didn't feel a thing!
I have posted photos in the Overbites section.
Everybody thinks I look years younger and I feel sooo much better.

Lazlo

• Private
Re: 8 weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 06:19:15 PM »
That's really fantastic! Glad to hear it!

One question though, do you have feeling in your upper and lower lips?

Langpam

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 01:44:55 AM »
I have had feeling in my upper lips from the beginning and continue to have tingling in the lower lip and chin, which is a small price to pay for the change to my looks and my airways. I had the results of my sleep study and it was confirmed, I have gone from 67.5 apnoeas an hour to ZERO. My doctor told me that it was a massive mandibular advancement so naturally all the nerves were stretched. It could take some time for the nerve damage to heal. I have time!

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 05:55:37 AM »
I have had feeling in my upper lips from the beginning and continue to have tingling in the lower lip and chin, which is a small price to pay for the change to my looks and my airways. I had the results of my sleep study and it was confirmed, I have gone from 67.5 apnoeas an hour to ZERO. My doctor told me that it was a massive mandibular advancement so naturally all the nerves were stretched. It could take some time for the nerve damage to heal. I have time!

Well as long as you have tingling in the lower lips. One fear I have is that if you lose feeling in your lower lip, kissing loved ones or your partner would be compromised or there would be a loss of pleasure. That would be awful. But go ahead and take lots of vitamins, especially b12 i hear is good for nerve regeneration.

Rico

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 06:18:57 AM »
Langpam: Did your surgeon use piezoelectric device (knife) ?

Langpam

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 07:40:52 AM »
On the website for the institutomaxilofacial you will read in the section "nuevas tecnollogĂ­as" that Dr Hernández Alfaro introduced the use of the  piezoelectric device in 2005.
This, along with his minimally invasive methodology and short surgery time, helped me to decide that he was the surgeon for me.
I have had no post-op complications, thankfully.

Rico

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 08:15:28 AM »
many  surgeons use piezoelectric device now, but in now all cases
but many surgeons achieve the same effect (no special complications, but postop hypoasthesia) using normal  surgical saw.

So I wonder how strongly I should consider using piezoelectric device by a surgeon  in the plan of surgery. How superior can it be to the option without such device ..
What all of you think ?

Look at this: https://www.infona.pl/resource/bwmeta1.element.elsevier-d46ba97a-7217-34e5-a190-f19652513cf2

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3608968/

http://www.joionline.org/doi/abs/10.1563/1548-1336(2006)32%5B19%3AIANTIV%5D2.0.CO%3B2

http://sites.synthes.com/intl/piezoelectric/Overview/Pages/Clinical-benefits.aspx
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:01:10 AM by Rico :) »

Langpam

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 02:17:18 PM »
Rico, I cannot comment on your personal situation. I can only talk about my own experience.