Author Topic: Single jaw vs. Double jaw surgery  (Read 3519 times)

itsallgenetics

Single jaw vs. Double jaw surgery
« on: January 13, 2015, 03:27:08 AM »
I posted another thread before but figured here was a better place to start a new thread.

I am 21 years old, of asian descent, with a very minor underbite and asymmetric jaw (from left profile I look pretty much fine, right profile you can tell I have a slight underbite, front on view I look 90% fine, only if you look at my jaw closely you can tell my jaw is slightly longer on one side than the other). Overall I think I look mostly fine, and no one seems to have picked up that I look any different than I should.

I was basically told I have the option of getting just my mandible rotated and setback with OR without the maxilla being repositioned. I took a profile shot of myself and compared it with all sorts of other people (caucasian, asian, severe underbites, models, etc.) and came to the conclusion my maxilla is pretty much where it should be (upper lip lines up just in front of my browridge). It possibly could be like a couple of mm more forward but I think it's not obviously deficient.

So what are you guys opinions on single jaw surgery vs double jaw surgery? It seems pretty much everywhere I read it is always double jaw surgery, but I feel like it is mostly just my lower jaw affecting my aesthetics. What are the cases for single vs. double jaw surgery?

brewer44

Re: Single jaw vs. Double jaw surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 08:00:43 AM »
If you have a good bite, moving one jaw won't cut it.  You'll have to move both to line up the bite.

As far as your lower jaw; who knows.  You really should consult with a certified surgeon.

Best of luck.